Building a PC, thought I'd check with yus first before I order...

Naudian

Tank
Reaction score
Right, I'm planning to order all of the following, and get the rest at a local store. I just thought I'd get your guys' opinion first for any last minute changes n stuff...(first build)

Case

Purty Case fan for the front
Power Supply (really iffy on this one)
Mobo
Cpu
RAM (X2 = 1024, which I'm happy with)
Hard Drive (iffy)
CD drive (iffy)
Monitor (mm?)

As for a video card, I only have an AGP card (but mobo is PCIE), so I plan on getting a PCI Express card in the near future. I'm just wondering if everything will be okay WITHOUT ANY card until I get one...
Comments/advice appreciated :)

you need an onboard graphics controller..... otherwise you wont beable to hook your monitor up to your pc.... end result you cant use it:p

my tip, buy a cheap as chips pcie card for now,

i did the same i have a 6200TC cost 27 quid........ does the job fine atm plays css tho not on best gfx :p

Joims said:
i did the same i have a 6200TC cost 27 quid........ does the job fine atm plays css tho not on best gfx :p

I have never even heard of the card

Yeah thats not exactly the best gaming computer in the world... Get double up in RAM, but you WILL need a gfx for the pc to work at all.

First off get double the RAM. 2 512 stick would do great and in the future get 2 more 512 sticks. 512 works best in dual channel so stay away from gig sticks.

Second DO NOT get that power supply. That is garbage and won't be able to run all of your components and if it does it will ruin them. Go with a more expensive PSU. Stay with big name brands such as antec and enermax.

If you scroll down and look at the PSU specs you will find the part where it says...

+3.3V - 22A
+5V - 35A
+12V - 15A

The 3.3 is a little low and the 5v is fine...however the 12v is HALF of what your going to need...25A is min on what you should have on the 12v rail. That will hurt your computer and will lead to problems like random shutting off...parts not running as good as they can or failing in the future. Yes...it can RUIN parts.

you could do what the others said or you could also get an asrock motherboard which has both pci-e and agp slots on it. also i agree that you do need a better psu with a higher voltage on the 12v+ and i heard the dfi motherboards are power hungry since they arent meant for overclocking

Thanks! I knew I had to change some things...
So heres the updated list...which I just quickly threw together because I'm too lazy to properly research the parts...

Case
(Happy)
Purty Case fan (Happy)
Power Supply (Any better? :()
Mobo (Hmmm)
Cpu (Happy)
RAM (x2) (Happy)
Hard Drive (Okay, the mobo's specs says it supports ATA/133, but this drive will still work on it right?)
CD Drive (I don't even care, as I already have an external DVD burner)
Monitor (Hmmm)

Oh and for a video card, IF I can't find any good PCI-E deals on boxing day, Im gonna borrow my friends Voodoo3 16 meg PCI card! :D

ailevation said:
No, get some Raptors from Western Digital.

DONT HELP IF YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT HE WANTS YOU IDIOT!!!

he dosent want to spend more than around 90

Idonotbelonghere said:
Thanks! I knew I had to change some things...
So heres the updated list...which I just quickly threw together because I'm too lazy to properly research the parts...

Case
(Happy)
Purty Case fan (Happy)
Power Supply (Any better? :()
Mobo (Hmmm)
Cpu (Happy)
RAM (x2) (Happy)
Hard Drive (Okay, the mobo's specs says it supports ATA/133, but this drive will still work on it right?)
CD Drive (I don't even care, as I already have an external DVD burner)
Monitor (Hmmm)

Oh and for a video card, IF I can't find any good PCI-E deals on boxing day, Im gonna borrow my friends Voodoo3 16 meg PCI card! :D
What you have here is perfect IMO.
Western Digital is a good brand. I agree that Maxtor drives tend to go bad more than others. ATA133 is perfectly fine. Actually it's easier to install windows on than a SATA. That is a good powersupply as well.

EXCEPT I personally wouldn't use a voodoo card.
It's actually slow enough that it could slow down your desktop use. =p
I've put in an old ATI 7200? card before and there was a big difference between it and my other gfx card.

Try it out and see if you like. You can buy a cheap PCI card though, Geforce2 or GeforceMX4000 would be a good sub (64MB) til you get a good PCI Express card.
Who knows, you might be able to find a good deal on a FX5200/5500 someplace (cheap DX9 card).

Thanks all, just ordered :D

$1,350+ In total.

I expect to post again with problems setting it up, etc :p... :|

Alright, I've held off buying a new video card for weeks now, hoping for some prices to go down.
So, I'm now seriously looking at THIS XFX 7800GT, the price of which just shot down like $60...
It seems like one of the lower-end 7800GTs though, and before this I was looking at THIS eVGA model.

So which should I go for, the cheap XFX or the eVGA?

The eVGA is 10MHz and 50MHz faster on the core and memory respectively, but is it worth the extra money?
Iwannitiwannitiwannit :bounce:

nooooo!! did you order that psu? stupid tiger direct trying to steal people's money ..for $6 more you could have bought the enermax 535W psu (much better) or saved yourself $30 and bought that psu somewhere else like ncix

I hate tiger direct, they price gouge

the evga is on sale at ncix.com (close to you) for $389 ..it just slightly outperforms the XFX card

CptStern said:
nooooo!! did you order that psu? stupid tiger direct trying to steal people's money ..for $6 more you could have bought the enermax 535W psu (much better) or saved yourself $30 and bought that psu somewhere else like ncix

I hate tiger direct, they price gouge

the evga is on sale at ncix.com (close to you) for $389 ..it just slightly outperforms the XFX card

QFT

That PSU is shit. Cancel the order now.

With 15a on the 12v rail expect random shutdowns/under performance and even parts getting ruined. Find yourself a decent PSU. Antec and Enermax are reliable. I did say this earlier so don't say you didn't have a warning!

Stern, Glirk, If you meant the PSU from my first post then NO. I got the one that giant384 suggested: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273332&Sku=ULT31841 (except it was on sale for around $67 when I got it :E)

I ordered everything a while ago and it's all set up and working fine.

I agree that a lot of things on TigerDirect are overpriced, but I think I actually got a good deal on most of the stuff I bought, except the CPU. I should have looked around more, but oh well. (btw, I've yet to see the CPU temp go above 26 Celsius, and once I caught it at 15!)

I'll take your advice, stern, and look around a bit more...but that deal is really tempting :O

I already have a year-old external DVDRW drive...though it's been acting up lately and not reading DVD-RW disks :x Don't know whats wrong with it.

W000t! Valentines Day sale at ncix.com!

evga 7800GT CO @ 460MHz for under $420 INCLUDING shipping & tax.
I'll be buying this as soon as I get home: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=17171&promoid=1021

I just decided to post this incase anyone else was looking for a good 7800GT deal...you're welcome :E

Edit: Ordered. :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I got mine from ncix for $389 + taxes, shipping in december ...no pst cuz I live in ontario :) ..I got them to price match anitec.ca (they're pretty good too) ..they have it for the price you paid as well

great deal, I often purchase from ncix ..in fact most of my current pc is from BC

you'll love that card :)

Back