Burning in Headphones

seinfeldrules

Reaction score
Well, I just got my new set of headphones. This is the first pair I've gotten in a few years and forget the process of 'burning' them in. Can anyone give me a hand?

What is this process of 'burning in' headphones that you speak of?

I think it is when you leave them running for a long time after you first get them. Its supposed to increase sound quality. I remember doing it with my first pair, but dont remember exactly how.

Uh...

...? I don't think it works like that.

Green Day - Paranoia for whatever your reasons are

seinfeldrules said:
I think it is when you leave them running for a long time after you first get them. Its supposed to increase sound quality. I remember doing it with my first pair, but dont remember exactly how.
Plug them into your computer and run winamp on repeat for a day...
::so lost::

Heh, nevermind. Found the information at some random website:

After reading that the headphones needed to be burned-in by playing at a fairly loud volume for 48 hours, I went through the burn-in process and found the headphones emitted a slightly richer sound after burn-in. Sound details are especially clear making these headphones quite suitable for gaming and watching movies. These headphones don't provide as much sound isolation as more expensive headphones like the Bose QuietComfort Noise Canceling headphones, but they provide the most I've heard at their cheaper price

http://www.compukiss.com/populartopics/travel_transhtm/review360.htm

Yeah- i think you'll only notice a huge difference with really good ones (even though those are pretty good :))
Play static/white noise through them for 12 hours- did that to my Grados and boy they sounded so much better.

Didn't know that! Thanks for teh info, will do this when i get my next headset. Thanks! :D

can u still burn in old headphones? or is it only a one time thing?

its something that will affect new headphones mainly- by the time you want to break in your older headphones, you will have already done it through normal use over a longer period of time.

J_Tweedy said:
its something that will affect new headphones mainly- by the time you want to break in your older headphones, you will have already done it through normal use over a longer period of time.
well does it have the same effect, even thoguh i did it over a period of a long time? or does it have a "better" effect when it's new (note, i said better, not sooner)

nah i wouldn't worry about it- it has the same effect (just as effective) doing it how you've done it- some people just like to get that effect asap after they've bought em.

Headphones naturally break in for the first 100 hours or so. Burning in just makes them sound better, faster. I've always heard you should play a wide range of stuff, from deep boomy base to mids and highs.....

Yeah, white noise/ static is good because it breaks in the high range, which is always the range of the speaker that will need 'softening' due to headphones only being one spreaker. Of course, whatever you want to do is fine, just dont use too high volume so as to stress the speaker too much.

J_Tweedy said:
nah i wouldn't worry about it- it has the same effect (just as effective) doing it how you've done it- some people just like to get that effect asap after they've bought em.
ok sweet

Back