Can we talk about Hosting?

M

Mr.Magnetichead

Well will the rest of the site be up and when will you guys be able to offer hosting?

TIA :)

The development portal (.Dev) on Hl2.net will offer hosing, the site isnt done but it will soon.

What kinds of services will you provide? Shell access? FTP of course? PHP/MySQL? Or are these windows servers?

What type of hosting you looking for, Magnetic? For a mod, modeling website, what?

Right..

A lot of the links are dead because halflife2.net doesn't have a CMS. CMS stands for Content Management System, it's the backend for a dynamic website. We were in talks with CSNation to buy there's off them but it turned out the guy on our staff was biased towards the CSNation guy, kinda had ago at our coder when our coder asked to demo it ( as you do ) and said we'd already accepted to buy it when Munro said we haden't. This inturn caused the CSNation guy to get very fustrated ( plus he was naturally impatient ) and pulled out of the talks.

So now StarMonkey is working on a CMS for us and once that's fully operational we'll be able to start sorting everything out including hosting, articles, interviews, static links, etc, etc, etc.

In all honesty this should of been done before and the content should of been done by Munro about a week / two weeks ( maximum ) after the website was launched but never was. Alas it wasen't so we're doing it now.

A few things have been done now by Zerimski ( Weapons page ), Munro ( Overview ) and myself ( FAQ, Characters ) but all of those pages will have to be re-written soon after the game is released so we're not really pushing to get it done with only a week to go.

We should be able to host. Homelan are kinda screwing us about a bit which none of the staff are highly impressed at. Just found out the other day that the MAXIMUM speed someone could download from us at is 20k.. these things need to be changed asap.

Relax though, we're all working on getting it sorted.

Originally posted by D33

We should be able to host. Homelan are kinda screwing us about a bit which none of the staff are highly impressed at. Just found out the other day that the MAXIMUM speed someone could download from us at is 20k.. these things need to be changed asap.

Well, the 20k Cap limit for every single use is not that bad for the website. After all, though images, and media are getting heavier nowadays, for webpages it's enough I think :) However, if you intend to offer downloads, then you should fix that, but anyway, it's free. I won't complain =)

I mean we can have just one user download one file and he'll get around 6k/16k - 20k maximum.

On better news though, the CMS is coming along really well :)

Originally posted by Vanthem
What type of hosting you looking for, Magnetic? For a mod, modeling website, what?

The site for my mod which you may of heard of.

Lambda Co-Op

Originally posted by Mr.Magnetichead
The site for my mod which you may of heard of.

Lambda Co-Op

The concept art was superb! It could be teh winnar!!! I say host the mod, if possible. :)

Originally posted by Siirolon
The concept art was superb! It could be teh winnar!!! I say host the mod, if possible. :)

Thanks very much, and it what way do you mean 'the winner' ?

He probably just means its good.

I'd hate to re-ask my question, but it seems to have been ignored... this looks like a great place to get hosted, because I despise the ad-infested crap that is PHL...but I've already done a good bit of programming for the site in php/mysql. So, do these servers support php/mysql? Are they home-grown Linux?

Originally posted by Shirow-DG
Why not just use an open-source CMS? There's tons out there (I like www.geeklog.net)

Maybe I'm confused... but it's it a sort of other portals like PHP Nuke? I mean, prefab'd scripts for administration (not just a thing, a whole cms) usually don't fit the need of webmasters because either they exceed what a website needs or it lacks of many other things.

and sometimes, it doesn't look professional (though sometimes you can use it and nobody notices) but I think that it's better to have your own administrarion systems, made by yourself :)

but well, decision isn't mine, it's theirs =)

Back