Cash-Strapped Palestine Recieves Aid From the EU

Pajari

Reaction score
clicky clicky

I didn't realize until now that the Palestinian Authority was this dependent on outside funding (particularly funding from Israel, as well as water, energy, etc.). Kind of makes you wonder how horrible the Israelis really are, if they basically prop up the Palestinian government and provide essential services. Since Israel stepped out, the Saudis, Quatar, various European countries, and the EU itself have all stepped in with aid. Although, they're all going out of their way to say that it won't be given to a Hamas-controlled government, as long as Hamas continues with its murderous rhetoric.

Of course, none of this would have happened if Hamas hadn't won. Considering how they haven't backed down from their more radical statements and are still adhering to their "destroy Israel" line, it will be interesting to see what actually happens when they do form a government- with Israeli tax revenues paying the bills. In my mind, Israel is completely correct in not funding Hamas, if only for reasons of security.

In the end, this can lead to one of two things: either Hamas doesn't renounce its previous claims and Palestine, dependent on foreign aid money, becomes even more of a dump and people get fed up with them. Or, Hamas renounces its policies and becomes a civilized political party.

A few million in aid for your thoughts?

Pajari said:
Or, Hamas renounces its policies and becomes a civilized political party.

Hopefully this will be the case, although I doubt it. You can't reason with someone when they have God on their side.

I didn't realize until now that the Palestinian Authority was this dependent on outside funding (particularly funding from Israel, as well as water, energy, etc.). Kind of makes you wonder how horrible the Israelis really are, if they basically prop up the Palestinian government and provide essential services. Since Israel stepped out, the Saudis, Quatar, various European countries, and the EU itself have all stepped in with aid. Although, they're all going out of their way to say that it won't be given to a Hamas-controlled government, as long as Hamas continues with its murderous rhetoric.

Umm, no matter what, its going to wind up in Hamas's hands.

with Israeli tax revenues paying the bills. In my mind, Israel is completely correct in not funding Hamas, if only for reasons of security.

Yea, I would'nt fund my enemy either.

Kind of makes you wonder how horrible the Israelis really are, if they basically prop up the Palestinian government and provide essential services.

Be more clear in this statement. If I just go ahead and start interrepting it as is, I gather this; "The Israelis are evil for helping Palestine".

K e r b e r o s said:
Umm, no matter what, its going to wind up in Hamas's hands.

Yeah, that's a given. I was talking about what happens after that, depending on wether or not they renounce their platform or not

Be more clear in this statement. If I just go ahead and start interrepting it as is, I gather this; "The Israelis are evil for helping Palestine".

We've been hearing for years how the IDF slaughters babies and is crushing the Palestinian state, so I found it interesting to see that Israel was actually doing the opposite, and giving the Palestinans money for health and social needs, and helping with infastructure. I wasn't calling them evil at all, in fact I was making fun of those that do.

Pajari said:
clicky clicky

Of course, none of this would have happened if Hamas hadn't won. Considering how they haven't backed down from their more radical statements and are still adhering to their "destroy Israel" line, it will be interesting to see what actually happens when they do form a government- with Israeli tax revenues paying the bills. In my mind, Israel is completely correct in not funding Hamas, if only for reasons of security.

In the end, this can lead to one of two things: either Hamas doesn't renounce its previous claims and Palestine, dependent on foreign aid money, becomes even more of a dump and people get fed up with them. Or, Hamas renounces its policies and becomes a civilized political party.

A few million in aid for your thoughts?

Well, if good ol Arafat was still alive the money would find its way back into Europe due to a lovely wife in paris... :rolleyes:

The west will never really help Palestine anyway, it has a strugle ahead, but it must prevail. It can either comrpomise and denoucne resistance and recieve aid, and let Isreal rape it further, or it can stand and fight.

hehe, yeah right. If Solaris gets his way, we'd throw some nukes on Israel, and replace it with an Islamic Palestine, just like Hamas demands.

How about a peacetreaty in which the violence stops? O wait, i forgot Hamas doesnt do peacetreaties with Israel, because it wants Israel removed/destroyed as a whole...

Im all for stopping the funding if Hamas doesnt change its demands + violant agenda. I'd feel ashamed and protest, if the next intifada of suicide bombings would now be directly funded by us..

Ome_Vince said:

Im all for stopping the funding if Hamas doesnt change its demands + violant agenda. I'd feel ashamed and protest, if the next intifada of suicide bombings would be funded by us..
Yet you fund and pay for the planes that bomb Palestinian civillians.

Ah, selling arms/warplanes? My country is not involved in that, and certainly not in those regions, so who are you talking about?

Ome_Vince said:
Ah, selling arms? My country is not involved in that, so who are you talking about?
What country are you from?
The US funds Isreal with millions of dollars.

Solaris, correction, the US funds Israel with BILLIONS. If im correct its somewhere around 4 billion a year defence budget.
And im glad they do! otherwise Israel would be a pile of rubble many times during the last 50 years...
As most of the Islamic world and russia funded + supported the invading countries who all allied to destroy Israel several times, the US funding Israel to protect itself is good.
If the defence would decrease in funds and support, Israel would be destroyed, which is probably what you want and i oppose,
for Israel is valid and allowed to exist (and declared so by the UN) -> period.

The territories they took by beating all these invading countries is slowly being given back, and frankly imo those countries should feel lucky they're getting them back at all looking at other parts of the world...

Imo the palestinians are caught in the middle and should be helped. Israel is definatly not holy, and makes loads of mistakes, but at least is now giving back territories.

This however is not what Hamas wants-> they want the whole of Israel destroyed.
Israel using warplanes to bomb Hamas targets to defend themselves against attacks and this kind of ideologie is valid but unwise as its what strengthens Hamas support and mostly kills the regular palestinian population.
However, if my country would be attacked continuously by a party wishing we would all be killed, i hope our military would do something to protect us, and be frightened when that party takes control of the country..

O, and I'm from Holland, where are you from?

UK.
Sorry, thought you were from the US, and thus the hypocracy of your statement if you were a US resident.

The west will never really help Palestine anyway, it has a strugle ahead, but it must prevail. It can either comrpomise and denoucne resistance and recieve aid, and let Isreal rape it further, or it can stand and fight.

Solaris, spare me of Palestinian Nationalism. I mean, I do see enough of it everyday to know that they're either crazy, or well ... just ****ing insanely crazy.

Insane people don't think well, and they blind themselves with the perspective that victory is actually attainable in the name of any God. For as false as Gods are, perhaps in the future when they realize that after Nasser and Anwar Saddat forgot them in they're failed war of attritions, they'll turn to intellectualism to free themselves of their prison. The very prison they build around themselves and hand the keys off to Israeli guardsmen.

Until then, they're religious zealots who are blood thirsty and foaming at the mouth who are nothing more then war lemmings toating bombs in Cafe's and School zones, blowing innocent people apart in the name of a false prophet.

The US funds Isreal with millions of dollars.

Only because in the past 100-80 years, Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Algeria, and Saudi Arabia including the failed Sinai tried to fund and destroy the Jewish, men, women, and children throughout the middle-east.

We fund the underdog, and the middle-east and Hitler justified Israel into being. If it were'nt for those riots, massacre's, and executions of Jews during the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, and early and mid 1940's, then Israel would've never been.

But they justified the nessecity of it by uniting the Jews under conflict, and for everyday that rolls by, they flourish at the defeating of those Arab conquests.

Solaris said:
Yet you fund and pay for the planes that bomb Isreali civillians.

Where did this come from, please explain. Who do we fund that bombs isreal?

Solaris said:
UK.
Sorry, thought you were from the US, and thus the hypocracy of your statement if you were a US resident.

You might want to actually respond to his points, because wether or not he lives in the US, they're still valid. I agree with them, too, and I live in the US.

Pajari said:
You might want to actually respond to his points, because wether or not he lives in the US, they're still valid. I agree with them, too, and I live in the US.
Sorry, typo.

Back