Combines - Angry Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good one. How the hell did you find that? They're almost identical. I guess they could be Russkies, but you never know.

Was reading some posts on the DoD forums :)
Anyway, always knew my nation came from aliens :D
I guess Valve barrowed a lot from the real world, not that it is bad thing.

now take a look at the 29.Soviet M85 PBS piggy style gas mask

Bloody hell.....:eek:

WOAH! WOAH! Hold your huskies, dont be hatin on them ruskies. Im russian, and I would know... WE DONT GET ANGRY. We dont want revenge. All we want is a cheap blad and a good bottle of vodka. So lets not drop the heat on the russians. Altho Russian is a pretty gay country, and I would know.

I seriously doubt that the Combine soldiers are Russians, that would be so lame. As well make them Nazi's or Middle Easten terrorists. :p

It's to be expected that Valve would model things in the game on things in the real world. After all, real things look..well..realistic.

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Gay up your ass, I am Russian too!

I feel so close to you know.. I think we're really bonding. Lets have some nasty kossack sex. :bounce:

It makes since that the Combine would be using Russian equipment since the name of the city indicates that it was at one time part of the Soviet Union.

The city name also helps explain part of the story...
This may have been already posted but if it hasn't then let it be a history lesson.

Back in the days of the Soviet Union, very large research facilities were often built for various Cold War purposes, these research facilities were constructed far from any urban areas and were often given boring names like "Research Base 8" or "Research base 17". Because of their remote location the people that worked their had to bring their families along, the result meant a small town would spring up around the base and it would take on the name of the research facility. Hence the name City 8, or in HL2, City 17. This would explain the Russian equipment and even why HL2 will take place in an Eastern European city.

Hope I didn't bore you:dork:

WOAH! WOAH! Hold your huskies, dont be hatin on them ruskies. Im russian, and I would know... WE DONT GET ANGRY. We dont want revenge. All we want is a cheap blad and a good bottle of vodka. So lets not drop the heat on the russians. Altho Russian is a pretty gay country, and I would know.

Nice reply m8 ... But i wouldnt have thought that Russia was a pretty gay country.. But im from the UK and i know shit right.?

Back in the days of the Soviet Union, very large research facilities were often built for various Cold War purposes, these research facilities were constructed far from any urban areas and were often given boring names like "Research Base 8" or "Research base 17". Because of their remote location the people that worked their had to bring their families along, the result meant a small town would spring up around the base and it would take on the name of the research facility. Hence the name City 8, or in HL2, City 17. This would explain the Russian equipment and even why HL2 will take place in an Eastern European city.

Bloody Brilliant m8 thats top dollar.:thumbs: :thumbs:

well they definately dont speak russian. in the video with the traps, when gordon shoots the big thing that swings and hits the combine u can hear one of em say "MAN DOWN" maybe its just cus they want u to know what they are saying, but maybe not.

haha... that's funny but not unexpected if you think about it. It would be the easiest and most realistic thing to do if they used pre-existing equipment with minor changes on their models rather than creating entirely new gear.

well they definately dont speak russian. in the video with the traps, when gordon shoots the big thing that swings and hits the combine u can hear one of em say "MAN DOWN" maybe its just cus they want u to know what they are saying, but maybe not.

Realy Biohazard m8 im not bothered now, The Mullinator his post makes total sence and my money is on that explanation.:cheese: Russsians Cant speak english.
Now i know for a fact there special forces can ive trained with them personaly, And let me tel you some thing else they speak english better than english People do m8.:eek:

I am Russian and I can speak English!
Anyway.. I didn't try to say that Combines are Russians, just wanted to show where Valve gets ideas :D

I think that the Combine are American soldiers who have gotten ahold of alien tech. They carry the M29 OICW, which is an American gun, and speak English, so they must be American. Their huge fortress is probably built with alien technology.

They also can't be alien, otherwise they wouldn't be running from the Strider in the screenshots.

yeah i didnt say that they are or arent russian, im just saying they spoke english.

Good theory by Mullinator, but one reason they may not be Russian:

I don't see why they would be wearing gas masks in that screenshot. There isn't any gas in the air because the civilians are not wearing masks.

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
I feel so close to you know.. I think we're really bonding. Lets have some nasty kossack sex. :bounce:

Hey my parents are Russian too...hehe

*Takes Out an AK* :bounce:

I hate russians.. but its a cool language.

Yes I am not entirely sure why they are not speaking Russian. Then again the Soviet Union collapsed a long time ago, alot of things could have changed since then.

It probably started out as a Russian city, but when the Soviet Union broke up City 17 probably became part of whatever Eastern European country its in now. That could allow for English speaking people to move in.

didn't notice that so I just watched it again...and you're right...but they seem to sound an awful lot like the HL1 Zombies(think they've got some place holder sounds in those vids)

good thinking Mullinator...sounds very likely.

I don't think that the combine are russians(and I know that the topic starter didn't think so either) but yeah...those gasmasks looks pretty similar...

Originally posted by chili pepper
Good theory by Mullinator, but one reason they may not be Russian:

I don't see why they would be wearing gas masks in that screenshot. There isn't any gas in the air because the civilians are not wearing masks.

1: To hide their faces because - a) they're ugly or b) their alien skin is sensitive to something in the air, ala War of the Worlds.

2: Valve has promised to give each character a unique face. I'm not sure they'd wanna apply that to all the Combine :bonce:

nah.. they where talking about the street folks that just hangout on the street (the ones that the combine soldiers where arresting)

but I think the gasmask are inspired by the russian ones.. so that doesnt mean that the Combine soldiers are russian.. that would be dumb.

btw it doesn't look like it's combine soldiers running from that strider...looks like some workers from a chemical plant or something like that...I think they're civilan workers.

I think that they are City 17s militia group... Really funny indeed to see were Valve gets their ideas !! :cheese:

the people that run from the strider are on your side, they are the freedom fighters that resist against the combine

Originally posted by EVIL
the people that run from the strider are on your side, they are the freedom fighters that resist against the combine

No, I didn't mean in the video. I meant in this screenshot here:

screenshot.asp

hmm.. I think they are part of the freedom fighters ass wel.. I simply dont know about those. They are running away from the Strider so that means they fight the combine because the strider is part of the combine.

Oooooh.... deductive reasoning strikes again! Great theory, Mullinator. XD

Originally posted by Sir Swallows
I think that the Combine are American soldiers who have gotten ahold of alien tech. They carry the M29 OICW, which is an American gun, and speak English, so they must be American. Their huge fortress is probably built with alien technology.

They also can't be alien, otherwise they wouldn't be running from the Strider in the screenshots.

Not quite correct about the OICW M29. The OICW is made by Heckler and Koch whose factory is in Germany, H&K is owned by Royal Ordinance which is a subsidiary of British Aerospace Engineering. I believe the OICW was designed to meet the specs that the US military required, but it seems that NATO may also be using this weapon.

http://www.hkpro.com/factory.htm
http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm

So in HL2 the Combine solders have Russian gas masks and German made weapons, but speak English. To me that doesn’t necessarily make them American, they may belong to a large cooperate type of organization and used to protect their interests.

The setting is Eastern Europe so it would be only natural to hear NPC's or main characters speaking Russian (using subtitles of course). I hope Valve hade time to do some Russian voice work on top of the loads of great features the game already uses. So many ideas, so little time with the deadline fast approaching!

But man, it would rock to see some characters speaking Russian using the lip-synching technology.

THEY ARE NOT RUSSIANS, COMBINES ARE ALIENS!!!!! Why did I make this topic :X

Are you talking to me? If you are, I never said they were Russian!

I dont doubt they arent russians but noone really knows what they are so we cant make and statements like 'THEY ARE ALIENS!'

I personally think they could be just another force like NATO or whatever. Everyone seems to be saying that 'Combine' means a combination between aliens and Humans, but it could just be a combination of the Armys of Earth in an effort to fight off the aliens.

Oh and those people in the screenshto mentioned before dont seem the most detailed so its hard to tell who they are. I mean just look at the early HL 1 screenshots and the scientists look like theyre out of doom or something.

why do you fight the combine if they are suppose to fight off the aliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back