Community maps?

fourgotn6

Reaction score
do we know if modders will be able to develop community maps for l4D?

if so any word on map size?

They probably will.

In fact, I saw something for L4D that looked like something kin to Gmod. The player was spawning zombies in a cluster and throwing a molotov cocktail and watching them all blow up.

They will, and for the enemy placement, all they have to do is create a sort of nodes grid for the Director to see.

sweet....looks like im going to have to familiarize myself with valve's map editor.

im totally making a map of my town.... a friend and i did this for world in conflict and it actually came out quite well.

Yup, if you create all of the level itself now (geometry, lighting, etc) you can then tweak it and add the L4D entities when the game is released (assuming the map stuff will come with the game).

Yup, if you create all of the level itself now (geometry, lighting, etc) you can then tweak it and add the L4D entities when the game is released (assuming the map stuff will come with the game).

Yeah, you can create now and add the correct entities when it's released, you don't actually add enemies, you just draw path's for the director and it handles everything else.

They probably will.

In fact, I saw something for L4D that looked like something kin to Gmod. The player was spawning zombies in a cluster and throwing a molotov cocktail and watching them all blow up.

That was probably zombie master or panic.

No, he said for GMod. It could have been Zombie Survival or ReDead.

I think he means that video of left 4 dead where the guy noclipped and threw pipebombs to show how the zombies clustered, you can do that from the console of any source game, so its nothing unusual.

sweet....looks like im going to have to familiarize myself with valve's map editor.

im totally making a map of my town.... a friend and i did this for world in conflict and it actually came out quite well.

Just remember, if some nutjob goes Columbine through your town shooting "real zombies" you WILL be blamed.

I want to create some sweet campaigns. I play a pen-paper zombie RPG called All Flesh Must Be Eaten, and I've got plenty of ideas for awesome maps.

Of course I have virtually no experience whatsoever with making maps or building anything Source-related... so I don't know if I actually will. Is it especially difficult to get into map building for the Source engine? I seem to remember ease of construction was kind of a selling point for HL2 modders.

I think community maps would be a great idea and valve will probably do it, considering how easy it is for them... I actually have a great map idea for Left 4 dead that im going to work on with a friend later when it comes out. I dont want to say what it is because im sure many people will do something similar...

I predict the release of 32 different shopping malls.

I predict the release of 32 different shopping malls.

And at least 20 Umbrella Corporation research labs.

Anyone remember Deep Rising? That'd be a sweet campaign... fight your way through a cruise ship to the helicopter pad on top. Lots of tight corridor fighting, rooms to clear and a maze like layout. Also a big ballroom area and an engine room with catwalks and stuff.

Back