Computer restarts whilst loading Windows 7 during boot

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
My dad has a computer that became inoperable last week. Although I'm firmly on the fence he has a feeling that its due to my Auntie when she was going through her emails when she was a staying for a week, and may have opened up an attachment that she shouldn't of.

Now whenever you boot up windows it goes through the boot up screens and then goes to the Windows 7 loading screen, 1-2 seconds later the computer reboots itself so you have a infinate loop of rebooting with the same process. The following is a process of what I have done:
-Advanced boot up mode; gone through Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration and Enable Low-Resolution video (640x480)

-Repair Windows Installation; Attempted both from the official Windows 7 (x64) Disc, and a System Repair Disc I created from my own computer and tried it on his. The Repair process does not detect any problems with the Windows Installation, so does not conintue the process, but the computer continues to loop.
-Perform a system restore; the same problem occurs

-Gone through a memory diagnosis; detects a problem with memory, although it never mentions where the problem occurs.

-Swapped around memory, changed out sticks; Initially my dad had two sticks of DDR3-1333 2GB, which I then proceeded to take one out and tested one in all slots, then I did the same thing with the other. After that failed I went to use my own Corsair DDR3-1333 4GB and the same thing happens, and my Ram worked too when I put it back in my Rig, so I will not put this problem down to corrupt Ram, albeit it may be a problem with the mainboard.

I'm currently in the process of doing two other things that may solve the problem, but I'm not sure.
-Delete video drivers; The problem thats occuring at the moment seems to emulate a problem that I have had on three seperate occasions, twice with Vista and once before with Win7, whereby when I'm installing the latest graphics drivers, either through an interuption during the process or a corrupt download would cause the installation to be corrupt, and I had the same problem as my dad is having now.

When my 9800GTX became unusable I upgraded to a GTX470, but because I had the wrong drivers installed for that particular card, the problem again occured. So I'm wondering if deleting the video drivers will prompt the graphics card to work from its default setting. Then its just a case of downloading the latest signed drivers. Just to note I have never done a memery diagnosis when I had graphical issues, I have just reformatted the computer.

-Restore factory settings; failing the above I am already backing up my Dads HDD to a portable 750GB HDD before I attempt to reinsert the Drive to my Dads computer. If the above doesn't prompt the device to work I'm going to restore the computer to factory settings and hoping for the best.

Unless anyone else has a better idea, I'll continue to do this.

I used to get the same due to a USB Controller driver error. My advice would be to not only reinstall video drivers, but additionally host controllers, audio drivers, Ethernet drivers, etc.

Although, restarting from scratch does give your father an opportunity to organize/customize again, so sometimes these hiccups are good thing if you're able to recover all of your files first. See what he would rather want given the options.

Yeah, I think he was more concerned about his iTune account (Doesn't want to spend hours redownloading his extensive collection) and Photos and Docs, but I'm backing up everything regardless.

Get Hiren's Disk. Boot off it. Go to Dos Programs > HDD Tools > MHDD. If it gives any errors then exit out of mhdd and run HDAT "find and repair sectors" thing (hdat is also on Hiren's). If it finds more than 10 or so errors, I'd say dont even bother, just replace the hdd, unless you're having trouble getting the data off it, then repairing with hdat will help.

If MHDD doesnt give any errors, then its likely a software problem. You could also boot into minixp (also on Hiren's) and if that works then its even more likely its a software problem. At that point, a Format/Reload is probably the most expedient way of fixing it.

I just restored from Factory Settings, I'm still having problems, but rather now it doesn't even reach the Windows loading screen, it goes straight to the Windows Repair Startup and finds no errors. Can you access Hirens disk from command prompt?

You boot off it.

Burn Hiren's to a disk (with another computer). Change BIOS settings to reflect your CD drive as your primary boot device. Insert CD. Restart. Press any key when prompted during booting.

Edit: I haven't tried it, but there may be the ability to boot Hiren with a flash drive. If you can, change BIOS settings to reflect your USB drive as the primary boot device.

Edit2: You can.

Yeah, you can boot off it as a cd/dvd, or usb. The CD/DVD method is as simple as can be, while the usb method requires some specific steps that arent as simple as burning an iso file. If the restore didn't work, then my bet is on bad sectors on the hard drive.

Have you tried testing the ram with memtest? If it's reporting an error...

Could be a bad ram slot, too.

I'll do the Hiren's Disc thing when I have time

Viperidae, I've tried all Ram slots with my own Ram (which definately works) and still nothing.

If its not the HDD (which I'll be testing Thurs or Fri) then I may expect it to be the Mainboard

Viperidae, I've tried all Ram slots with my own Ram (which definately works) and still nothing.
-Gone through a memory diagnosis; detects a problem with memory, although it never mentions where the problem occurs.
I don't think you understand. Ram can "work" just fine until you happen to use the memory bank(s) that are damaged, then you get errors and your system shits itself. You mentioned that you used some unnamed memory test, which I presume wasn't memtest86, and itt gave you an error. That's not good. Ram is either fine or broken--you can't just run on damaged Ram and hope that you'll get lucky. It will cause problems, somewhere, guaranteed.

Viperidae He said it still wasn't working with his memory in it though, which suggests its not the memory causing this particular issue.

However, as Viper said, if you got an error, thats bad news. Could be there's two problems going on at once. Hiren's has memtest86 on it too, so might as well run it while you're at it.

Also, I just learned that putting the @ symbol at the start of your sentence brings up a nifty little members list for you to address. Neat.

EDIT: Though afterwards it gets rid of the @ symbol. Lame.

Just to give you some news, my Dad has been going through the problem with MESH computers today and has managed to get the computer running again, and has been transferring files from the backup HDD that I had. Thanks anyway guys, I'll make a note anyway of Hiren's Disc for future use if anything comes up.

I have yet to find out how he managed to get it working, could be useful if I ever encounter that kind of problem again.

You mentioned that you used some unnamed memory test, which I presume wasn't memtest86, and itt gave you an error.

It was the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test, which you can run from the advanced system repair

Out of curiosity, did they say what it was?

Out of curiosity, did they say what it was?

I have yet to find out, like I said I just found out now and back from a busy day at work

I don't think you understand. Ram can "work" just fine until you happen to use the memory bank(s) that are damaged, then you get errors and your system shits itself.
Yeah, but with the way I tested, all the memory banks would of been damaged because I tested each individual one with a stick of RAM I know works. Either way I'm glad it works now, its something off my plate.

Back