Computer Used To Show HL2 at E3?

A

apax777

Does anyone know the specs of the computer they used to show, or make, the demos of Half-Life gameplay at E3? I'm talking about the footage from the 22 min (600 meg) demo from Fileplanet...

If I had to take an educated guess...

based on the 99% liquid smoothe movements:

3.0 ghz Pentium4 with the 800mhz FSB
1 gig of ram PC-3200 or greater
ATi Radeon 9800 256 meg of RAM <--- Pretty positive about that.

Originally posted by apax777
Does anyone know the specs of the computer they used to show, or make, the demos of Half-Life gameplay at E3? I'm talking about the footage from the 22 min (600 meg) demo from Fileplanet...

If I had to take an educated guess...

based on the 99% liquid smoothe movements:

3.0 ghz Pentium4 with the 800mhz FSB
1 gig of ram PC-3200 or greater
ATi Radeon 9800 256 meg of RAM <--- Pretty positive about that.

Officially stated:

P4 2GHZ GF4

The whole damn point of HL2 is that it is made to run good one a shitty comp. 700mhz is the reccommended.MINIMUM, my bad

Re: Re: Computer Used To Show HL2 at E3?

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
Officially stated:

P4 2GHZ GF4

The whole damn point of HL2 is that it is made to run good one a shitty comp. 700mhz is the reccommended.

sweet, if they were running it that good on a 2.0 ghz, g4 machine, then it should run amazing on my 2.4 GHz, 2 gig 2700 ddr ram, and 9800 pro. btw 700 MHz is not the recomended settings lol, its the minimum, unless i missed some thing, very,very vital.

thats good knowing it runs on 700+ mhz comps, hopefully my comps can hold onto the smoothness of the game :)

Woah, woah, wait. You're saying they used a Geforce 4 at E3? Are you sure? I mean, they have it at the ATi booth. That would seem like an insult to ATi. "We're gonna use your booth, but we won't use your hardward. HA!" Maybe it's just me though.

-Vert

Originally posted by Vertigo
Woah, woah, wait. You're saying they used a Geforce 4 at E3? Are you sure? I mean, they have it at the ATi booth. That would seem like an insult to ATi. "We're gonna use your booth, but we won't use your hardward. HA!" Maybe it's just me though.

-Vert

i know, what a bumch of irony. yes it was definitly useing a geforce 4 in the ati booth ;) i remember them stating that.

Re: Re: Re: Computer Used To Show HL2 at E3?

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
sweet, if they were running it that good on a 2.0 ghz, g4 machine, then it should run amazing on my 2.4 GHz, 2 gig 2700 ddr ram, and 9800 pro. btw 700 MHz is not the recomended settings lol, its the minimum, unless i missed some thing, very,very vital.

You're right there. 700 MHz is not the recommended, but the minimum. The whole engine is scalable all the way down to a 700 MHz, Direct-X 6 compatible TNT card. Though I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the graphics would be substantially less impressive at that point.

-Vert

Re: Re: Re: Re: Computer Used To Show HL2 at E3?

Originally posted by Vertigo
You're right there. 700 MHz is not the recommended, but the minimum. The whole engine is scalable all the way down to a 700 MHz, Direct-X 6 compatible TNT card. Though I'm pretty sure it's safe to say the graphics would be substantially less impressive at that point.

-Vert

BLAH my bad i meant to say minimum. Screwed up the words. The recommended is somehwere 1.5ghz +. But it's also been said that that demo might have had Anti-Aliasing on 8x. So if it ran THAT good with AA then that means with no AA it should run fine.

And yes, they fo sho said it used GF4. Not sure which but a GeForce 4.

I still think I should upgrade before it comes out :D
I have an Athlon 750 with 384mb ram, and a gf4mx ;(

i heard recomended was 2.0 Ghz, but that was just what i heard. in any case it dosnt really matter for me. i was worried wheather or not i was going to be able to run HL2 on my pc on the highest setting. but finding out what they used for the e3 demo(s) then im really confident i will get a great fps with the highest setting.

highend computers should have no trouble with it ?
is there a full recommended system list released?

Re: Re: Computer Used To Show HL2 at E3?

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
Officially stated:

P4 2GHZ GF4

The whole damn point of HL2 is that it is made to run good one a shitty comp. 700mhz is the reccommended.MINIMUM, my bad

Where was this officially stated? Half-Life 2 was shown in the ATi area, they would not have used a Geforce4 there. Unless it was ran off a DVD or VHS tape, or fancy shmancy Powerpoint-type presentation where the initial computer was in the developer's office with a Geforce4...

Also, Half-Life 2 is heavily dependent on DirectX9 which isn't directly supported by Geforce 4's either -- GeforceFX is the first NVidia card to *fully* support DX9 all-around, 100%.

trust us they used a geforce 4. IN THE ATI BOOTH.

trust us they used a geforce 4. IN THE ATI BOOTH.

im not saying your wrong, but its pretty ridiculous if they did use a gf4... (but WOW would it be great, considering thats the card i own and it run smooth as hell)

but PLEASE show a link, if it was officially stated.

Wow. And there were mulitple instances when the frame rates dropped dramatically even with those nice specs... Now I REALLY have to upgrade...

I heard something very different. I heard they used an Radeon 9800 Pro at the ATI booth and used the geforce 4 for making some of the movies not made at E3. You think ATI is stupid or something? PROOF IS NEEDED!

Excellent. Im upgrading to a 3.0 just before hl2 comes out. Should run sexily.

i don't know where you got those specs from. i don't believe it at all. show me one source of information that says the halflife demo was played on a 2.0 pentium geforce 4 and then i'll believe you. you just got mixed up i think. the recommended specs to play the game are a 2.0 and a geforce 4 vid card. i know that for sure, but nowhere does it say that thats what the demos were run on. it doesn't make sense if they want to show off the graphics of halflife2 at its best

Yeah, those specs do seem a tad off to me...I don't see any advantage to using a mid-range system. I mean, sure, you can tell them "you can scale the game so that it'll run on a crappy computer", but you'd rather the people be more amazed by the graphics than the fact that it's scalable. On another note, I like your sig, ub3rbr0k3...ahhh, the days when Family Guy was still on...damn you Fox!

-Vert

i know, what a bumch of irony. yes it was definitly useing a geforce 4 in the ati booth ;) i remember them stating that.
there were 2 videos. One with diff spec than the P4 gf4.

in the gamespot video #2 the guy says:
overhere you can get a sence of the wide veriety of visual effects that are possible using source on top of a harware platform like the ATI radeon 9800 pro

Originally posted by henrik
in the gamespot video #2 the guy says: notice the performance on the ATi Radeon 9800 etc.

Well, I'll have to check into that, but at least you are offering solid, physical proof alongside your post--proof that strenghtens my original post of stating the computer used to show the HL2 demo used a super top of the line video card as well as a top of the line processor.

Another thing I might as well add...

Judging by the performance, the game (600 meg video demo) averaged 50-70 frames per second but also dropped drastically to around 10-20 at some points and became pixelated in moments of high on-screen action (this was not video distortion). Something tells me the new 3D engine for HL2 makes the screen pixelated when FPS drop to help restore smoothness at the expense of picture quality.

So, a 3ghz computer with 1 gig of fast as hell RAM and a 256 meg of RAM ATi Radeon 9800 runs HL2 just "so-so" with max settings...

Now I'm frightened.

Shit, can I run HL2 at best graphics with a GeForce 3Ti500? What do you think?

Poppy cock stop all the worry, You act like its going to run like crap on any machine. So you wont have everything maxed out big deal.

I'm merely expressing a concern that the game may run like crap unless you have the latest "Alienware" hot off the factory assembly-line.

Originally posted by urseus

wow,that could be a mistake... upgrading to a 3.0 GHz processor would be really stupid at this time, even in september....unless u have plenty of money and couldnt buy anything else with it like a top of the line video card then go ahead....but just remember processor speed dosnt matter as much as it used to and someone could run a machine with 2.0 Ghz better then a machine with 3.0Ghz easly.....so be carfull..

EDIT* and unless u just got a new motherboard, i doubt ur motherboard supports that speed.

It probably will if you have the resolution and AA ramped up to their respective maximums. But I think Valve can be relied upon to deliver us a playable, beautiful game under most modern PC specs.

Bad idea. upgrading takes awhile for computer to stop pissing about.:borg:

well GF 4 dont have 8x Anti aliasing right? how the fu*k could thy use it then maybe it was a radeon 9800 :eek:

wow,that could be a mistake... upgrading to a 3.0 GHz processor would be really stupid at this time, even in september....unless u have plenty of money and couldnt buy anything else with it like a top of the line video card then go ahead....but just remember processor speed dosnt matter as much as it used to and someone could run a machine with 2.0 Ghz better then a machine with 3.0Ghz easly.....so be carfull..

EDIT* and unless u just got a new motherboard, i doubt ur motherboard supports that speed.

Ill be buying a new motherboard to go with it. I have a g4 4600, (should have gotten an ati) and 7 something ram. The CPU is lagging me down at 1.4. Surly it will run better than the one i currently have, and im not sure im prepared to buy another video card when the one i have isnt too bad.

well if u do get that, u might want to look into AMD, they are cheaper.

Money is no problem for me, but i dont belive there is a big enough gap between the g4600 and the current cards that cant be filled with a 3 cpu and the Ram ive got.

Okay:

HL2 E3 booth: P4 3.06 HT / R9800Pro 256 / 1GB RAM.

2.0GHz GF4 was used for another demo of the game at E3 to some media, and recording some demos.

I posted quotes for this in another thread somewhere, and I was too lazy to re-quote my quotes in that thread. I'm not going to improve on my laziness just to accomodate another thread...

Originally posted by Hammer
Okay:

HL2 E3 booth: P4 3.06 HT / R9800Pro 256 / 1GB RAM.

2.0GHz GF4 was used for another demo of the game at E3 to some media, and recording some demos.

I posted quotes for this in another thread somewhere, and I was too lazy to re-quote my quotes in that thread. I'm not going to improve on my laziness just to accomodate another thread...

Thanks for your contribution, next...

ok everyone stop worrieing about what was used at e3.....most/all of the specs iv read here should all run HL2 good to my knowlage, cept that 486 guy :cheese:

That guy got anoying. He made one good joke at the start, but had to keep it going.

Im like the people who make that initial funny joke, but know not to keep going and going and going untill people want that smartass assbandit to shut the **** up.

The 486 is a smartass, but he still cracks me up when ever I watch the demo. :LOL:

Back