CS:GO "Overwatch" Introduces Community Driven Policing

Lobster

The Freeman
Reaction score
Valve have begun a trial run of a new community initiative for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive named Overwatch. The idea is to recruit a group of "investigators" from the community in order to combat persistent cheating and other disruptive, in-game behaviour. Players are selected to become investigators based on a variety of criteria, including their win ratio in competitive games, the age of their steam account, the number of hours they have played, and their own record of behaviour.

Once chosen, community investigators will receive cases via a new "Overwatch" option on their menu screen. Each new case will consist of around 10 minutes of recorded footage featuring the suspected player in action, after which they will be asked to make a decision as to their accountability. If enough investigators agree that the accused player is guilty of an offence, then a suitable banning will be issued. Over time, each individual investigator will receive a score based on the number of cases they have judged, as well as the frequency that other Overwatch Investigators agree.

For now, the system is undergoing a limited beta test in order to ensure the fairness of the system and reveal any major problems with its conception. A full FAQ for the Overwatch initiative can be found here.

Adding the Overwatch to CS:GO? Can we expect a CS:GO match with the 7 hours war too?

T & CT unite against the overwhelming alien threat?

HL3 CONFIRMED!

Not sure how I feel about this honestly. I suppose as long as you have a decent amount of people voting on whether someone is cheating or not then it helps counter anyone who just wants to ban everyone, or something equally silly.

Regardless this is another example of Valve offloading work they should be paying people for onto the crowd.

this is hilarious.

after playing counter strike source competitively for years, the Anti-Cheat teams that CEVO and CAL implimented are essentially what valve is putting together now.

i cant imagine that VAC has been getting the same development time that DOTA2 has :LOL:

Back