CS: Source and CS2 Split

IchI

Reaction score
hey,

I was thinking about what has been going on recently with both CS 1.6 and CS:CZ. First of all if you didn't know it already all the proffesional CS 1.6 players are been forced to play CS:CZ at this years World Cyber Games. In my opinion this is a stunt by Valve to try and get more people to buy the game. Then it brought me onto thinking about CS:Source and CS2. If these both come out as different games like CS 1.6 and CS:CZ it could totally divide the community. I know you could say well CS:CZ didn't. But thats because its a bag of shit. If it gets to the point where both CSS and CS2 are both equally good. Wouldn't this be a bad thing? Yes it would be a good thing for Valve and there stupid sales (Everyone knows Valve make games for money, thats just a simple fact. They are a company, face it.) that is if theya re sold seperatly. I dunno. I'm kinda woried about whats going to happen with CS because yes it looks like it has good graphics. But so far Valve havn't listened to the CS community once, infact they never did listen to the CS community. I am just so woried about everything really.

What do you think will happen and what the hell do you think Valve are planning?

Ow another thing to add, if you wondered why Steam crashes a lot and people tend to say its a pile of shit. Its because Valve only put 2 people working on it.... OK! THEN.......

IchI said:
But so far Valve havn't listened to the CS community once, infact they never did listen to the CS community.

Completely false. Cliffe has been listening to community suggestions and getting them implimented them in CS for months now.

IchI said:
But so far Valve havn't listened to the CS community once, infact they never did listen to the CS community. I am just so woried about everything really.
Incorrect: they haven't listened to you yet. The 'pros' are only a tiny part of CS players.

The difference between CS:S and CS 2 will be a lot more substantial than the difference between CS 1.6 and CS:CZ.

I'm not even fully convinced that CS 2 will be based around Terrorists and Counter-Terrorists. It could be something completely different.

Ever been to the CS forums dude? Cliff runs polls there on weapon balancing and waht should be changed.... They don't listen in the steam forum that often cause there is too many flames there a lot of times

There are some decent people over at the Steam forums, but I reckon Valve would be better off closing them down. They're just full of flames and I can't help but think a lot of it is disheartening for them.

Bah, a decent enough collection of moderators could filter out the crap. Even though Steam, as a platform rather than an individual game, acts as an enormous magnet towards general stupidity and newbies who know no better, a fair team could nurture a good community out of that slop.

Anyway, CS:S worries me, simply because I won't be able to play it. I also wonder if we'll see some sort of melodramatic schizm; similar to the WON/Steam divide, that, to some extent, is still going on. I also wonder if all these Source conversions will make good use of the physics. Actual breakable tables and objects with vaguely realistic penetration aspects? Kicking doors and furniture open/over? Possibly non-magical grenades that don't go through twelve inches of concrete, and a less pseudo-realistic damage system, to the extent that kevlar doesn't make me feel like a concrete block with a balloon on the top?

...sorry. That was a bit of an anti-CS tirade at the end there.

I hate CZ.

Originally CZ was meant to be a single player version of CS, I was fine with that, if I wanted a single player experience I would of bought it. But now they have just made it bots, and a multiplayer mode.

They get bots, and some redone maps. These are changes which should and would nbormally happen with the continued development and updating of CS, but they've decided to charge people full price to keep getting hte updated game, now you can see from the CZ 1.1, they're going to only continue to update CZ. 1.6 only recieves minimal tweaks.

I would of been 100 times happier if they just sold the bots as an addon for 1.6, for say $10 or $15.

Re-done maps, bots, re-done textures, re-done models, a few new buy features, a single player "Quake 3 Arena/Unreal Tournament" style mode, a single player episode with a storyline/objective based levels. It's worth it IMO.

Excuse my nubness, but what is Counter-Strike: Source? Is that just refering to Counter-Strike on Half-Life 2's Source code? And are they releasing Counter-Strike: Source seperatly then Half-Life 2, and then just having Counter-Strike 2 as Half-Life 2's multiplayer?

That is all I have been able to put together to guess. :p

No-one know for sure. That's about all that can be said ...
But CS: Source will unlikely come with HL2, at least

decoy said:
Excuse my nubness, but what is Counter-Strike: Source? Is that just refering to Counter-Strike on Half-Life 2's Source code? And are they releasing Counter-Strike: Source seperatly then Half-Life 2, and then just having Counter-Strike 2 as Half-Life 2's multiplayer?

That is all I have been able to put together to guess. :p
It is CS with HL2's source code. And I believe its going to be released seperately.

When has it been said that CS: Source is the multiplayer? I mean, you *could* say that DoD is the HL2 multiplayer, it's just a mod that'll be released about the same time. Then again, we don't really know ...

Kirkburn said:
When has it been said that CS: Source is the multiplayer? I mean, you *could* say that DoD is the HL2 multiplayer, it's just a mod that'll be released about the same time. Then again, we don't really know ...

No one knows for sure, Gabe had a *VERY* poorly worded sentence at the end of the first HL2 presentation at E3, which is why everyone is (was?) up in arms about it being HL2's multiplayer component

Valve are very good at poorly worded statements. Their old Steam FAQ caused chaos with its online/offline statement... turns out, despite the people who were so certain I was an idiot, that at the time you'd have to be online to play an offline game... fortunately they fixed that quite some time ago.

...yay! And now to go back to wondered what/when it will be released.

Yes, they really could clarify the offline/online options on Steam - I have given up trying to work out what exactly I'm choosing when I log out :) Also, I knwo *exactly* what you mean about people who cannot believe you can use Steam offline ... oh the arguements I've had over this .... :dozey:

(Sorry if this topic is going a bit off, uh, topic now)

nobody likes change. im still playing cs1.5 for its the most playable version to me. i am looking forward to cs:source but i do think that it will thus split things into yet another segment :(
all we can do is sit and wait.

pros are not equal to blathering leets. i'm NOT implying that you're one, but I'm sure valve is sick of people going OMG LOL GIV ME MY OWN SERVar FOR MY GR34tNE55!1111

I agree ... "oh no, they've patched the game" lets all complain and cry :p
It will only split it into CS1.5 change haters (i'm joking!), current Steam CS, and CS : Source. That isn't that bad - i mean the CS1.5ers won't care either way, and CS1.6 and CS: Source sit fine alongside each other, like UT, UT 2003 and UT 2004. I mean, has UT2004 killed UT? No!

I've always hated change (moving house, for example, is near the top of my worst fears list... and probably a lot of other people's too come to think of it) but some people have difficulty coming to terms with the possibility of good change. The whole "uberleet" aspect of CS, and every other game really, does nothing but undermine the rest of the community. If a change means that, god forbid, an "expert" player has to adapt their strategy, you can bet there'll be outcry.

Any FireArms players out there? What killed that mod for me was pandering to what, in my really damn biased opinion, was the wrong half of the community. It's not realistic, it's just fun. Not anymore... now you can't even fire weapons while moving, and spread has been exponentially increased on some weapons. It's just not to my taste anymore :(

They haven't even begun work on CS2 (see the Gamereactor interview just posted on the news page), so fear not that is will have to compete with CS:S. Look for it in about four years ;)

phat-ant said:
nobody likes change. im still playing cs1.5 for its the most playable version to me. i am looking forward to cs:source but i do think that it will thus split things into yet another segment :(
all we can do is sit and wait.

In my opinion the CS community is already divided, alot of people (including me) took one look at 1.6 and thought "**** that".

Since 1.5 isn't on Steam i havn't played CS for ages, CS:S looks more like the original but I'm not holding my breath.

As for CS2 I don't think that will be released for a while, Valve wouldn't over saturate the market with two CS products, HL:S,HL2 and possibly TF2.

I think most people will move over,it might take a few months for it though,but when valve decides to stop updating CS 1.6 people will move over.
And hopefully it won't be too demaning,CS 1.6 is pretty damn demanding now so hopefully it wont be too big of an transition.

And according to cliffe he has spent lots of time trying to make sure the feel is the same in CS:Source.Im 100% sure it's gonna be awesome!

CS2 however will have a hard time since it most definatly will be totally different from CS gameplay,so CS2 will need to draw new base of customers..People that are playing other type of FPS games and maybe new players to the FPS scene.
Because the regular CS-players will stick to the gameplay they've known to love.

Though CS2 is a bit from completition so we just have to wait and see how it turns out.

What I think

I think everyone is first gonna play CS:S till CS2 comes out (that will take some time) and then everyone will play CS2. It will not divide the CS community into 2 parts. also Valve has listened to the CS Community, for instance check the latest updates on CZ, they are allmost all requested by the community (like the think that a dead person how has nades drops them and someone else can pick them up). So don't worry it's allright

and about that the community is allready divided, I don't think so. There are a lot of people how just stept over from 1.5 to 1.6 and started playing that and enjoying that, there are just some people how stick to 1.5 and how just fell off cause they can't play no more. I now even play 1.6 and CZ together because I like all CS games and all the differents in CS give a new experience and makes you work on new tactics for that change in the game. For me I love all CS games and whatever they change in CS: S or CS2 I am still gonna buy those games and try them, I will train a lot on new tactics and gameplay for the new games and then I enjoy them as much as I did the first time I played CS.

a new (CS) game gives you something that games that you have played for some time can't give you: a whole new challenge

I would say CS2 may be a futile dream for a long time, and Valve shall only release CS:S. Of course, this is just all-out speculation on several poorly worded quotes from Valve employees.....

Back