Day of Defeat News Update

LucidX

Reaction score
Restart your steam clients to get the new new update! It includes 2 new photos as well as information about the release! :cheers:

yes, i just saw that too, so cool

models don't look to bad either

Steam - Update News, Friday, July 22 2005
Play-testing Day of Defeat: Source has taken over the Valve offices. We're expecting DoD fans and new players alike to have a blast with the game when it's released later this summer. Polishing work is being done right now on the player animations, as well as lighting work on the various maps. Current favorite features include the new grenade stun effect, and the ability to deploy the machine gun on any surface.

:cheers:

After a long way it looks like we are going to see DODs soon!

The Player model skins seem bland, hope thats not final. The map looks amazing though.

Even if those skins and models are the final versions, it doesn't matter. There were a shitload of custom models and skins for the original DoD, so I'm expecting the same for source. Bring on the axis trenchcoats!

Models' skins need some wrinkles/grit/stuff on them, but I'm sure they're on that....
I hope anyway...

Look a bit bare equipment-wise as well, other than that, damn nice screenshot.

Holy shit!
This game looks gorgeous... aside from the incredibly bare looking soldiers...

I willl put money that those are not the final player models. You can see the lines in the skins, they look almost as reference skins :)

I mean, DOD original had better quality skins, Im sure the DOD team has something cooking... :E

in the news thread someone posted a quote from the dod forums in which a developer from valve stated that the skins were works in progress. however, even if they were left as is the gameplay in this game is going to ruin my life it will be so good.

they said it was donner, but it didn't really look anything like it. donner is supposed to be dark and rainy... if they leave it bright day just to show off hdr, i'll be pissed

dev replies, from this thread at the official forums:
http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51894&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

[DoD]Agent~0 said:
Player skins in those pics are WIP

Mugsy said:
The tank still points towards the axis spawn, and behind it is a sniper house, where the sniper tower used to be. We just have the two axis players coming from that way in the screenshot.

PickItUp said:
Thanks Frank Black. Thunder_Weenie could elaborate on this point but I think with your post, it's not necessary. I have worn repro german uniforms and the problem that most people have is that they assume the "waist belt" is a belt similar to those that hold up your pants. Its quite different as your info and picture point out. It is a belt that is worn very used to support an infantrymen's loadout. Ammunition, breadbag, shovel, etc. It has nothing to do with keeping pants up. Again as your info and picture also point out, it does give the illusion of very long legs. I can assure you however that the player is proportionate.

Possibly compounding the problem is that the jacket length is a bit shorter than it should be. This is a compromise we have made based on inablity to simulate cloth. With a longer more correct tunic, when the leg is lifted to 90 or more degrees, 1 of 2 problems occurs:

1) the tunic cuts into and disappears into the leg
or
2) It moves with the leg, disappearing into the hips/abdomen and stretching terrbily along the side.

The model is our best compromise of the 2 problems above combined with our attempt to keep the uniforms as authentic as possible.

Originally posted by Frank Black said:
This what I found:
"The resulting uniform was an optical illusion which made every soldier wearing it appear several inches taller than he actually was. The short length of the jacket and the high position of the waist belt fooled the mind's eye into seeing almost every German soldier as a tall nordic "superman" with a trim torso and amazingly long legs."

Sure ok. I based my decision to keep the arms in on a number of issues:
1) I have fired the k98 and other weapons before, and for me, it is more comfortable to support the weapon and fire with my elbow down.
2) If someone is shooting at me, I am going to make myself the smallest target I can present them, while retaining my ability to accurately return fire.
3) I watched newsreels and dug through photos and chose that pose based on the feel of "semi-readiness" I feel it presents. It's not a tactical pose like you would find on a Seal or Delta operator. Nor is just some guy standing relaxed like he's taking coffee.

Before passing final judgement, I say wait for the game or another screenshot where you see the pose from an additional angle other than virtually straight on.

awesome news, get your DOD skills practiced, should be an intense release!

Unless of course, he really means next year, on november 1st. :)

I dont know ...I've been waiting for this since it came out ...even upgraded to the silver package just to get this ....but it's been so long my excitement has waned a little ...I just think it's a little late in coming considering BF2 gives more bang for the buck ..before you jump on my back, dod:s is just revamped dod: same gameplay prettier graphics ...honestly dod graphics were quite good imho. I was hoping that they'd add something new like maybe objectives or new game types ...something, anything to drag me away from bf2

Well i only ordered the bronze package. Does anyone know if DoD: Source will be available for purchase by itself? I think it would be kinda stupid to only offer it to the silver or gold users.

dont know but they did announce that a bundle consisting of CS:S, HL2:DM and DOD:S would be sold in stores

Back