de_mentalhospital_beta RELEASED!

B

Bender

MY latest and greatest map to date is finally here!
Please be sure to leave me some feedback here or by email: [email protected]

Download de_mentalhospital_beta HERE.
Watch the BRAND NEW Introduction Movie on YouTube.
Watch the Original YouTube Video Trailer.
Check out the map Profile on FPSBanana.com. (PLEASE RATE MY MAP)

Final Version Contains:
-HDR Supported Lighting
-64 Spawnpoints (32T/32CT)
-Immersive sounds and atmosphere
-Pro Mini-Map Radar
-Embedded .nav file for bot play

Map Storyline:
Terrorists have identified a weakness in the city power grid, whereby cutting power at the junction inside the mental hospital, will cut both main and back-up power to security systems at a nearby arms facility. Comrades-in-arms are depending on a successful take-down. An inside agent has tipped off SWAT to when the strike will occur.

de_mentalhospital_FINAL1.jpg

de_mentalhospital_FINAL2.jpg

de_mentalhospital_FINAL3.jpg

de_mentalhospital_FINAL4.jpg

Thank You to anyone who enjoys and plays this map:
-The Merciless Exiles Clan for their unwavering support in my mapping. [www.MercEx.net]
-The Snarkpit crew for technical support. [www.snarkpit.net]
-The 4HM Clan for their continued support. [4hm.net/forum/]
-FPS Banana for a fantastic hosting resource. [www.fpsbanana.com]
-YouTube.com for hosting promo videos. [search de mentalhospital]
-My wife who knows how much I enjoy mapping.
-All my PLAY TESTERS:[MercEx] H4ckroot, Bre, wolgy, beansy, darkness, mr kola [4HM] Archangel_666, teN AnImalS, tarzan15, fenix 807, takun, [Urban-Assault] VampeD, Achilles.
And anyone I forgot to mention, thanks for the help!

UNTIL NEXT TIME...
BENDER

Did you add a Photoshop lens flare to screenshot #3?

Why is everything outside blue? :|

No Storyline

I mean who the hell would want to bomb the mental hospital :\

De_ = Bomb map

I remember back in the 1.3 days, me and my father had a fun idea. Make a map of our city. I mean, not as huge, but just a few blocks of it. And his computer repair shop was going to be one bomb site...we didn't really work out any more of the ideas. All in all, though, I thought it would have rocked.

Do most maps go through a beta stage?
I'd say yeah prolly most or all do. Now whether or not they all get released with the beta tag is another question. There are still things that i feel could be improved or added to this map, But i currently dont have the time or know-how to finish up myself. By all means the map is complete, but there is a possibility that it will further be refined sometime down the line and tie up some (unnoticeable) loose ends.

Personally, I am as done with this map as i can stand for now. From concept to release the entire map took about 10 months, and if i didnt kick it out the door at this point it would still be sitting on the shelf probably.

Did you add a Photoshop lens flare to screenshot #3?
Yep. Not meant to be confusing, just sorta look cool. I think it makes the pic stand out, and uh look cool.

Why is everything outside blue?
And everything inside green..?
Well its a known fact that color evokes different moods. The blues and greens chosen for the map give it a feeling of despair, sickness and eerieness. I wanted the map to have some color, because personallyi see too many custom maps with no thought towards color choices, particularly light. I tried to make the lights mood setting, as well as somewhat realistic.

No Storyline
I mean who the hell would want to bomb the mental hospital :\
Seriously, good question, an one that i got early on in the development of this map. Now, not to be rude but, IF YOU ACTUALLY READ ALL OF THE FIRST POST YOU WOULD HAVE NOTICE THIS:
Map Storyline:
Terrorists have identified a weakness in the city power grid, whereby cutting power at the junction inside the mental hospital, will cut both main and back-up power to security systems at a nearby arms facility. Comrades-in-arms are depending on a successful take-down. An inside agent has tipped off SWAT to when the strike will occur.
Unless of course you DID read this and are just saying "no stryline" because you think its dumb.

Thanks for the support guys.
~BENDER

Find my map on the following fine servers:
OBC Custom Map Server: 72.5.86.216:27015
Twisted Dragons Lair: 72.5.86.121:27015
4HM Server #1: 38.100.85.13:27015

Well its a known fact that color evokes different moods. The blues and greens chosen for the map give it a feeling of despair, sickness and eerieness. I wanted the map to have some color, because personallyi see too many custom maps with no thought towards color choices, particularly light. I tried to make the lights mood setting, as well as somewhat realistic.

But those colours don't look realistic. They must be subtle in order to work well.

But those colours don't look realistic. They must be subtle in order to work well.
As i already stated, I dont claim the colors are 100% realistic:
I tried to make the lights mood setting, as well as somewhat realistic.
The point of the color choices is to create a SURREAListic feel. I dont think that subtle lighting would work well for this map, at least not for the feeling I was attempting to achieve.

However I do feel that the colors are plausible enough to create a sense of being in a real place. YES, snow can have a bluish look on a clear night with a full moon. The greenish tinge to the interior lighting was inspired by the Matrix movies like the green filter that was used during all of the "inside-the-matrix" scenes.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and interpretation I'm only trying to explain my perspective on the choices I made as the artist.
~Bender
(psycho i hope you've tried the map in game and arent just going on the screenshots):D

I see where you wanted to go with those colors, I really do. But in this instance, I don't think they play well. It will draw the attention for the first couple seconds, but honestly, it's counter-strike. How many times do you pay attention to anything else but the heads of the enemy? :p

I think it's a masterpiece. I've been mapping quite a while and can respect the work you've put into this.

Good job.

Really nice work.
Im also mapping, and I know that this must have been a challenge.
Im currently working on a map myself.. now I know I have to put myself together to make a masterpiece like this!

Very nice. Love the idea + the execution.

A zombie version would be cool too ;)

I dig it,but,trying to download,it said I need to register,I tried to,but my activation e-mail never came,I really want to check this map out..

I reckon Civilians are too scarce in CSS. Mentally ill patients would be great fun. You could gain money by shooting them. :D

And it would make firefights more interesting.

I reckon Civilians are too scarce in CSS. Mentally ill patients would be great fun. You could gain money by shooting them. :D

And it would make firefights more interesting.

Yeah, because there would totally not be any moral outrage at such a feature :/

I agree,killing mental patients in a game could get you a fine or jail-time
that is NOT funny,thats sick to even think that killing mentally ill persons would be fun

Sorry for being the jackass again :p i keep missing out that paragraph :\

Back