Defibrillator

Botolf

Reaction score
So I was thinking about how the Defibrillator would work, mainly in graphical and a gameplay balance senses. Assuming for a moment that it can be used more than once:

Would the game progress like this?

Player A Dies -> Player B switches to Defibrillator -> Player B gives him a jolt -> Player A spawns standing where his corpse was, able to move immediately

I don't think so, because a) Graphically, it would be a poor transition, going from lying on the ground to standing instantly; b) From a gameplay perspective, it might be an instant reprieve from death.

I think the game would instead progress like this:

Player A Dies -> Player B switches to Defibrillator -> Player B gives him a jolt -> Player A spawns incapacitated where his corpse was -> Player B picks up Player A

Still faster and more handy than a closet, but the person you saved isn't immediately out of danger and is still vulnerable before he is able to move.

Thoughts?

I think it will be used with the antlion extract.

I think they'll probably replace the closets since they were a bit silly...since you could have a Bill corpse and an alive Bill next to each other. I think the defibs will be items you must carry like the gas cans from the location you find them to the comatose survivor to revive them adding the dilemma...do we take this with incase we need it or leave it behind and hope we'll make it.

Man, I hate the depiction of defibrillators in video games. Mostly due to how they instantly heal any sort of lacerations and bullet wounds. BF2 at least revived the guy in place, leaving him in a prone position and having to manually stand up. Something by way of a get-up animation could be used in L4D.

I realize that this might lead to rapid kill-revive-kill-revive cycles, but it might be interesting to have them revive with a fraction of health, say 25%, forcing med kit use to account for the fatal wounds they still have.

I bet the defibrillator only has two charges.

I'd guess it'd work much the same as the BF2 style de-fib's - bring the person back but not heal all their health.

In source online games the ragdolls are usually handled clientside and the same corpse could be in two different places for two different players. Source also can't currently handle transitioning smoothly between a ragdoll and an animated player model.

It'll be interesting to see if valve are going to have a work around or update source with new features.

I don't know why people haven't though of this simple, and likely implementation of defibs"

They don't bring people back from death, they just instantly make incapacitated players stand up. That's what I'm expecting, as I don't really see the other alternative happening due to limitations.

SHOCK JOCK - 30 - Revive 10 dead Survivors with the defibrillator.
If that list of achievements is to be believed, then it's about reviving dead people, not just incapped ones.

I'm quite interested to see how it's implemented as well, but I was never really all that bothered to come across my own ragdoll in the game.

All I know is that if a Tank flings a Survivor off of a cliff or building, the defibrillator isn't going to be much help.

All I know is that if a Tank flings a Survivor off of a cliff or building, the defibrillator isn't going to be much help.

were you expecting a totally unrealistic game? i mean cmon defibs. heal every wound right?

were you expecting a totally unrealistic game? i mean cmon defibs. heal every wound right?

I was only trying to be funny, and to tell you the truth, I believe the defibrillator is unnecessary if you are on a good team. Actually, you don't even need to be on a good team if you are playing on Easy, Normal, and possibly even Advanced level. If you do play on the Expert level, there needs to be cooperation between the players, and the defibrillator might be used once or twice, (depending on how many charges it has) but people have played through campaigns on Expert before without using any 'life-saver' type of thing.
I do admit I am a bit interested in how it will work in the game, besides the fact that it revives dead people, so we'll see what happens ;)

I don't know why people haven't though of this simple, and likely implementation of defibs"

They don't bring people back from death, they just instantly make incapacitated players stand up. That's what I'm expecting, as I don't really see the other alternative happening due to limitations.
Man, if I trip and break my leg, I'm not letting you anywhere near me
colon-D.gif

lest you threaten me with electric shock paddles ****

In source online games the ragdolls are usually handled clientside and the same corpse could be in two different places for two different players. Source also can't currently handle transitioning smoothly between a ragdoll and an animated player model.

It'll be interesting to see if valve are going to have a work around or update source with new features.
Assuming the Defibrillator works on dead corpses (which is what the achievement makes it sound like), the corpses will probably be serverside for playability reasons. Can't have three players not knowing where their dead friend exactly is, eh? :p

Spawning the revived survivor as incapped where his corpse used to be wouldn't really have any impact on the achievement or its wording, it'd probably just be better from a graphical and gameplay pov.

Back