Dota 2 "Reborn Beta" Source 2 Client Revealed

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the prophesies foretold, the Source 2 version of Dota 2 is very nearly here...albeit in an open beta, known as "Dota 2 Reborn". As anticipated, the new version of Dota 2 will run on Valve's next-generation Source 2 engine (a title strangely absent from the announcement page) and will introduce brand new features and polish previously not possible on the 15+ year old Source engine.

reborn.PNG
As revealed by "Part 1" of the update's announcement page, these new features include a brand new Dashboard and an all-new dynamic interface, changing the way we'll view content and play within Dota 2, with sliding tiles and windows that increase or decrease in size depending on their use. The new interface features an all-new layout, an updated Hero Browser; making it easier to preview heroes, their abilities, and their content; and live updates for in-progress games via the "Watch" tab, a system which now refreshes game statistics and map data in real time.

menu1.PNG menu2.PNG menu3.PNG menu4.PNG
That's far from all, however, as the remainder of the Day 1 announcement page focuses on demonstrating how easy it is to learn the basics of Dota 2, how we'll be watching live matches on DotaTV in the future, and by showing off just how easy it is to find games alongside your friends. New party features including voice chat, party management (such as merging two parties into one), upgraded and larger chat channels, and "Beacons", which will let your friends know you are currently looking to party-up. Elsewhere, new "Miniprofiles", an in-depth Activity Feed, and detailed statistics pages are also shown off, which can be used to quickly and easily view your friends' content and to investigate in-depth figures about play habits, such as individual Hero MMR, Win Rate, KDA, Average GPM, and much more.

friends.PNG
There's an absolutely ridiculous amount more to cover about Dota 2 Reborn, with even more information about the new engine and Custom Games set to released as parts 2 and 3 in days to come, so make sure you check back next week for further coverage as we learn more! For now, head on over to the Part 1 announcement page to learn more or to see how any of these new mechanics or systems operate in the form of helpful video demonstrations.

A lot of good improvements, but UI is too god damn sterile.
Main screen soaping... Heroes look like some sort of beauty models on podium with direct lights upon them. Whole mentality is damaged. Blizzard smokes hexagon crystals in the corner.

looks sick! Hype. I think I will start playing Dota 2 again with this update or whatever it is.

Best thing is that you can immediatly test any hero on a small test map without loading screens. That will make it much easier for new players to get into and not get overwhelmed by the amount of heroes they can choose from.

maybe they intentionally dont call it the "Source 2 Version", because they dont want to market Source 2 with Dota 2 but instead with something like Half-Life 3.

After all these years, I still have no interest in Dota 2, but I can't wait to get a glimpse of Source 2's features that are embedded within.

/EDIT: A lot of what we see here today is definitely enabled by engine upgrades. All of this user interface stuff wouldn't work too well in Source. But I can't wait to see if the Custom Games tools have been improved even more since the alpha, and any other improvements lying around in code or whatever. Or are there any tidbits about Vulkan laying around?

Last edited:
Is it still a mystery whether there'll be two Dota 2 clients or not? I'll hate it, if there will be. Especially if it'll seperate game sessions.

well there were always 2 seperate clients werent there? The Dota 2 and the Dota 2 Test client. The Test client will be or replaced by the Source 2 client I guess. They cant just replace the main client with Source 2 without testing the shit out of it since Dota 2 is a highly competitive game played by so many people.

well there were always 2 seperate clients werent there? The Dota 2 and the Dota 2 Test client. The Test client will be or replaced by the Source 2 client I guess. They cant just replace the main client with Source 2 without testing the shit out of it since Dota 2 is a highly competitive game played by so many people.
I understand that. But later? When it's polished and fixed?

yeah obviously at some point there will only be the Source 2 client. Even if there were still 2 clients there is no point in using Source 1 client, especially because Source 2 will have better performance (or they will improve graphics and keep the system requirements)

I looked at the page more thoroughly and came up to unfortunate conclusions, unfortunate even for myself...
Here they go...
Every time I see menu get soaped - I want to kill one Valve employee.
Every time I see chat window get scrolled - I want to kill another Valve employee.
Every time I see hero on a podium - I want to kill another Valve employee.

There.. I said it...

Last edited:
I looked at the page more thoroughly and came up to unfortunate conclusions, unfortunate even for myself...
Here they go...
Every time I see chat window get scrolled - I want to kill another Valve employee.

There.. I said it...
500px-Whoa-Just-Take-It-Easy-Man-Drake-Parker.jpg

Here they go...

There.. I said it...

What, are we living in the 90's? All I'm seeing is that you don't like a certain style, which most people either accept or like, and are issuing death threats over them. *claps* I'm POSITIVE Valve will respect your opinions now.

Also, I freaking love the new UI, and can't wait for the next two days. I've never been a big fan of DOTA 2, though, but I hope these updates show up for TF2, and CS:GO (good timing with the new Operation), MAYBE finishing with a couple of new games... I mean, this would seriously be the best timing for them (we can't wait much longer, this is getting silly), and would finally stop the people who keep insisting HL3 doesn't exist despite the tons of proof.

Look at it this way -- for a million different reasons, it's too costly for a developer to support multiple versions of a game. I personally don't think there will be two official, stable clients for too long, if ever.
It will initially run on a separate client to keep the game stable for The International, but the blog post mentions Reborn as an "update" which will release sometime in August/September, meaning both clients will likely merge.

but I hope these updates show up for TF2, and CS:GO (good timing with the new Operation)
I could see CS:GO possibly getting an update of this kind in the future, but don't hold your breath for TF2. Valve already mentioned they're not considering it because there's no need for it. You don't just throw thousands of man hours into working on porting over an 8 year old game if there's going to be no actual benefit to doing so.

I used to hate MOBAs, then I tried DotA 2. Can't stop playing it now.
I'm so excited for this!!

I'm still waiting to see what Source 2 can accomplish with detailed and plentiful assets. So far, Dota 2 Reborn only improves lighting, ui and such. I hope we get to see a fully fleshed out game running Source 2 sooner or later. Judging from the Portal 2 tech demo, I'd say that Source 2 is capable of rendering a lot of detailed dynamic props and static props at the same time, which makes me even more excited for the engine.

yeah but that Source 2 will be able to make really good looking games is obvious isnt it. How should it compete against other engines otherwise except with user friendliness? And I mean I dont think its that hard to make good looking games nowadays if you have the money. The question should be if Source 2 will make really good looking games or ****ing mind-blowing graphics.

Back