Dota 2 Weekly Patch - 09/05/13 + International 2013 News Recap

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
This week’s Dota 2 update, which was released late last night, included a few minor gameplay fixes and a brand new "Solo Matchmaking" option which allows players who have queued without a party to be given a fair match up by removing possibly unfair communication benefits available to teams comprised of grouped up individuals. While the contents of the update change log are particularly light this week, the patch itself also includes a new cosmetic item set for Tusk known as "The Arctic Hunter", which is now available from the Dota 2 store. A series of seven unreleased custom HUDs were also added to the game files including in-game displays which appeared to be themed after Magnus, Alchemist, Ancient Apparition, Nature’s Prophet and several others. Legion Commander and the second tutorial map both also received a series of in-game assets, hinting at the possibility of a major update arriving sometime soon which may include one or both of these major new features.

dota2_splash_tusk-jpg.24157

The Dota 2 competitive scene has also seen a number of key developments in the past week. Since we last reported on the International 3 tournament, Valve have revealed the entire team roster including the remaining 12 teams invited directly into the main event and the 16 teams set to compete in the pair of qualifiers set to take place very soon. Teams Orange.Neolution, Alliance, Fnatic, Team Liquid, Na’Vi, Team Zenith, Team Dignitas, Virtus.Pro, DK, LGD Gaming.Int, Invasion MUFC and TongFu all join 2012 reigning champions Invictus Gaming in the main tournament. The Western Qualifier, set to take place from May 13th until May 19th, will involve Absolute Legends, Evil Geniuses, mousesports, RoX.KIS, Empire, ICCup, Qpad Red Pandas and DD.Dota fighting it out for a place in the main event. A day later, on May 20th, First Departure, Neolution.Int, LGD Gaming, Vici Gaming, RattleSnake, Rising Stars, MiTH.Trust and Mineski will take place in the Eastern Qualifier, which will run for three days until May 23rd before continuing for another two days on May 28th 2013. It was also recently revealed that Dota 2 professional commentators TobiWan and Ayesee have both accepted invites from Valve to shoutcast the main International 3 tournament in August of this year, which will take place at the Benaroya Hall in Seattle.

While tickets for the main event have already sold out, those of you wanting to watch from home can view the tournament using the in-game DotaTV spectator system, which is being provided free of charge for the first time. The International Interactive Compendium, an e-book which can be purchased from the Dota 2 store, allows players to get directly involved with the tournament by predicting tournament statistics, voting for an All Star match and awards while competing with friends.

Every player who purchases the £6/$10 compendium will receive a brand new customisable Smeevil courier, which can be upgraded based on the amount of tournament games viewed. For every purchase, 25% of the total price will go towards increasing the total tournament prize pool, which has already risen by around $165’000 from the initial $1.6m amount. Valve has also set up a series of Stretch Goals which will provide the community with more rare items based on how high the prize pool rises. Stretch Goal 1 has already been reached, which provides compendium purchasers with a rare 125% battle bonus from now until the end of the tournament. Stay tuned to ValveTime for more Dota 2 news in the near future.
international_2013_battle_bonus_large-png.24158

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 6,734
  • Dota2_Splash_Tusk.jpg
    Dota2_Splash_Tusk.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 7,505
  • international_2013_battle_bonus_large.png
    international_2013_battle_bonus_large.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 7,384
Also the keys for the newest Chest series was seeded. The chest contains quite a few Taunts which can be equipped on heroes (currently Axe, Nature's Prophet, Witch Doctor and Broodmother iirc). Unfortunately they are currently bugged and choosing a hero in a game who has a taunt equipped will cause all players to disconnect.

God damnit. I'm going to have to read all those teams names. ****.

God damnit. I'm going to have to read all those teams names. ****.
I'm looking forward to that so much, I hope Nick doesn't help you with pronunciation. METER STASIS.

edit: corrected team name, thanks Roland.

I'm looking forward to that so much, I hope Nick doesn't help you with pronunciation. METER STASIS.
I'm looking forward to the episode so much, I hope Glenn will actually do some work this week.

OH WAIT LOL.

I'm not even going to try to read what they are going for. Their team names are dumb and the world needs to know!

Back