Dual Processer MoBos

SpuD

Reaction score
I have a few qustions about them:
1. Are they reasonably priced? Like close to $100
2. Can you only have 1 CPU in at a time
3. Do the 2 CPUs have to be the same?
4. How does it work? would two 2.0 Ghz equal 4.0GHz?
5. Are they good?

Thank you for answering

They're not worth it in my opinion. Not enough software really takes advantage of a dual processor system. More practical in a server environment.

I'm pretty sure the nForce2 motherboards support dual processing. you can get one for about 120$~

If you have a dual machine, then you need programs that have support for it (if not, then you will only use one of the processors)

Q3 has support for this. I think HL2 with all its features will have this too!

If you only up for gaming then stay with singel processors...much better for games.

dont think dual processors will give you double the speed

1. They are considered a high end. Dual P3s are down there now but nobody wantes them. Dual Athlons XPs run from $250-500
Dual Xeons run from $350-800

One example. A 3ghz xeon CPU costs about $700. A 2.66ghz Xeon cost $300. You could buy 2x2.66ghz Xeons and have an extra $100 to spend on the mobo. A better value for your money IMHO.

AMDs are a less compelling product. Their MPs are limited to 266Mhz frontside buses. With Intel supporting up to 533 I wouldn't go for them. AMD's own Athlon XP supports 400 but their MPs are slower. Bad marketing/design.

The MOBOs also tend to have some basics intergrated wince they are often used for servers. Ethernet, Audio, SCSI, and video are common add ons.

2. YES. You can have only one processor. I've never heard of a MOBO that couldn't operate on 1. And unlike NT, Windows 2000/XP doesn't have to be reinstalled to recognize the second processor.

3. YES. Buy one now and buy a second one later when the prices reduce. It will be like an upgrade.

4. Windows XP will use both processors the same way it uses Hyperthreading. Some processes go to one cpu, others the second. Most programs aren't multi-processor enabled, but often have multiple processes. Each process gets distributed. HL's compiling tools will use multiple processors. A single process can still max out one CPU but the other will be relatively idle. A single process won't use both processors unless it is designed for multiple CPUs. I haven't futz with XP on a multiproc yet. However OS's allow you to assign a process to a CPU so you can distribute them. SO you can compile HL for 18 hours on one process and do everything else, play games, listen to music work on the second.

You don't get double the CPU because you never run two programs at once that require 100% of your CPU. But this is always true.

5. Had a dual celeron mobo for years with only one CPU. No problems. WHen upgrade time came around I had the cash adn went for a new PC and never upgraded that one. At work used lots of multi-proc servers. When a process goes nuts and chews away at 1 of the CPUs it is nice to still have a responsive computer to work and troubleshoot. If you are going for top capablilities it is sweet.

because not everyone has the experience and knowledge off this subject

Originally posted by SpuD
Why cant everyone answer like him?!

...and because I'm relatively unbusy now and just happened to be researching prices in this area to build a new server for a client.

nothing is written for two processors software or game wise so one would ALWAYS just sit there idle doing nothing.

DUAL CPUS ARE FOR SERVERS ONLY!

Back