Effing Wireless

Jintor

Didn't Get Temp-Banned
Reaction score
So my Dad's new Vista Laptop can't connect to my wireless network wirelessly - signal strength is full, Network is detected, disabled the security, but it just flashes the 'connecting' message for half a second and then tells me it can't connect. Worse, when I updated the Router firmware, somehow that wiped the wireless network from my "Manage Wireless Networks" list and now I can't access the properties menu for it.

Attempting to diagnose the problem just tells me "Wireless Association Failed Due to Unknown Error".

Searching this phrase on Google led to a whole bunch of crap that didn't help. I've already tried forcing the Broadcast Flag to toggle or something by editing the Registry, no help.

Connection is TPG ADSL 2+, other laptops are connecting successfully to the Router (non-Vista Laptops, anyway). Running: 32-bit Vista. Modem type: Netcomm NB9W. Network Adapter = Atheros AR5007 WiFi Adapter.

I'm annnnngry.

Reinstall the drivers for your wireless. I had a similar issue with the wired connection, it would recognize that a cable was plugged in, it just wouldn't connect. After I reinstalled the networking adapter drivers, I was fine.

Are the ip settings wrong on the laptop? Are they set to automatic? Is there a mac address filter on the router?

Sounds like the wireless card isn't able to get an IP from the router.

Could be a conflict between windows connection software and custom software for the chipset. Disable the vista wireless connection management and try again with the custom software (if it exists)

Back