Engine error when joining 32 slot servers

legis

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems playing on 32 slot servers? TF2 keeps closing with an Engine error saying 'UpdatePlayerName with bogus slot 32'.

I'm answering my own question. Seems Valve updated the client side code to prevent people from playing on 32 slot servers? I see all 32 slot servers are now 30 or 31 as a workaround.

Valve needs to just get over it, jeez. The game is extremely fun with 32 players.

Fun? yup shooting rocket and getting 5 kills at one :S

I can't find any 32 person servers, just 31 and 30 - so I assume Valve did something. Valve needs to at least explain why they're so hellbent on making sure 32-man TF2 doesn't happen.

As for them being fun, hell yeah - 32 man is awesome.

ye

I've got that 32 slot error as well.

does anyone know how 2 fix it?

Good lord people, 32 person Tf2 is like 64 person Call of Duty. At that point noone needs skill, they just need to spam the hell out of every area. :frown:

If they really are implementing back the Green and Yellow teams, they should really up the maxplayer limit.

My favorite tf2 server size is 18. Anything above 24 is just mad points farming. I get no enjoyment out of it.

Or people need to get over the game was made with a max of 24 players in mind.

Uh so? That doesn't explain why Valve had to disallow 32player servers. Spam fests can be fun too especially with some third party maps.

Yes it does. Game was designed for a maximum intent of 24 players. Why do you think you have to hack some files to get it to 32 players.....?

Personally,i love playing with more people,the chaos and insecurity is making the game that much more fun to play on.
As an added bonus,usually these servers are fast respawn ones,so the slaughter can continue on and on :D
I haven't got the error you,but haven't really tried to join a full server in the past couple of days.
Will try it later.

Back