Episode 2 Freeze

B

Bandit429

About 2 hours into the game, right after I kill the 2 guardians I proceed up an elvator and through a tunnel, We find many dead headcrabs, combine and rebels. There is comments made by the vort and alex about those that are dead, then alex and the vort step through a door, (rolling garage type) A comment is made about seeing the car on a bridge across the valley and as soon as I step to that door the game freezes and restarts. I ve tested this many times,,as long as I do nt go to the door no freeze.
This computer is very clean, 512mb of ram,,2.6 intel and an nvidea fx 5500 video card with directx 9.0c installed. Updated drivers. Im totally out of ideas and need some new ones. I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to study on it.

Yes in the options menu of half life I lowered all the video and audio settings, I also turned on the developers key trying to catch whats causing it but by the time I hit the key,,,,move Freeman and try to see the last program input its froze. I dont recall seeing what was last but I do know the last thing there that I have been able to see does nt freeze the game,,only to when I get ready to step through that door does it freeze. There are some MDMP files but I don t know how to use that information.
Thank you for the idea.

Go HERE and you'll find a thread that has a way around it. The thread is on this page.

Ok Thank you Rusha, I ll check it out and let you know how it goes.

EDIT:
I read it.....I tried ducking and going around but it did nt work. This chapter is in the Freeman pontifex. Thank you for your idea, I really appreciate your time.

I didn't get it the first time either Bandit. And it locked up when i turned to face the spider web too. Also, wasnt my idea. Im way too noobish to come up with anything like that. Good luck. Its truly a pain in the butt.

Hmmm maybe Im missing something,,,I ll try it a few more times,,,there is nt a spider web there, its a rollup type garage door. I truly do appreciate your ideas,,heck I never would have thought of that either. Somehow I seemed to have gotten past that point. Its where the vort and Alex start talking right after exiting the tunnel,,there is a combine gun there with many health packs and suit chargers. If I wait i hear mention of the car on the bridge and a gun that may be useful, as soon as I step to that door boom,,,,frozeup.

I found how to open a dump file and here is the information contained within,,,I was thinking maybe I could make some sense of it,,,,hahahaha...................

Loading Dump File [C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\user\half-life 2 episode two\Steam__3300__2007_11_23T22_46_1C185671.mdmp]
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Comment: 'Crash: Map: ep2_outland_06
Game: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\user\half-life 2 episode two\ep2
Build: 3300
Misc: skill:2 rate 9999 update 20 cmd 30 latency 0 msec
Net: loopback
cmdline:"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\user\half-life 2 episode two\hl2.exe" -game ep2 -steam
driver: Driver Name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Driver Version: 6.14.11.6371
VendorId / DeviceId: 0x10de / 0x326
SubSystem / Rev: 0x0 / 0xa1
DXLevel: gamemode - 8.0
Vid: 800 x 600
video: picmip: 2 forceansio: 1 trilinear: 1 antialias: 1 vsync: 0 rootlod: 0 reducefillrate: 2
shadowrendertotexture: 1 r_flashlightdepthtexture 0 waterforceexpensive: 0 waterforcereflectentities: 0 mat_motion_blur_enabled: 0
prev PP PAGES: used: 13526, free 29482
final PP PAGES: used: 13526, free 29482
memalloc = 0
'
Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
* Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
* Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
* After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS
Debug session time: Fri Nov 23 17:46:06.000 2007 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: 0 days 0:03:14.000
............................................................................................................
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(c5c.c60): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
eax=368814e0 ebx=00000000 ecx=000022f4 edx=368814e8 esi=01a82139 edi=00002304
eip=7c90eb94 esp=0012b1b0 ebp=0012b1c0 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00200246
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for ntdll.dll -
ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:
7c90eb94 c3 ret
0:000> .restart /f

get the same crash here, tried various methods to get through but nothing. I get this message when the game crashes if anyone can make anything of it.

"the instruction at "0x12548f3f" referenced memory at "0x0e0bf3co". the memory could not be read"

Rumba

I had this sort of thing happen in two different areas in the game when I first downloaded it off of Steam. I got around it by just skipping to the next chapter. For the first one it was as soon as I rounded a corner something in the hall would crash HL2 when it came into my view. My first idea was to walk backwards down the hall...which would have worked had there not been Combine shooting my back up the entire walk so that wasn't going to work. So I tried to noclip past the entire hallway...no good, as soon as I hit the "space" outside the map the hallway came into view and so did the object that was causing the crash, so it crashed.
Try to see if there's an update available for Ep2 you haven't got yet. After 1 or 2 updates it seems to have been fixed for me.

Finally I got a log to look at. It appears to not be loading a map......

Half-Life 2
Map: ep2_outland_06
Players: 1 / 1
Build: 3300
Server Number: 1

Initializing renderer...
Error! CMapOverview::SetMap: couldn't load file resource/overviews/ep2_outland_06.txt.
Set Gravity 600.0 (0.250 tolerance)
Signon traffic "CLIENT": incoming 83.982 KB, outgoing 3.003 KB
vort thinking for 18.92ms!!! (SCHED_SCRIPTED_RUN); r0.31 (c0.21, pst0.00, ms0.06), p-r0.01, m0.01
Soundscape: ep2_factory.vista
Redownloading all lightmaps
R_RedownloadAllLightmaps took 550.983 msec!
gooPit1_enemyfinder thinking for 20.50ms!!! (SCHED_EFINDER_SEARCH);

I have also just started to experience this error, once at the beginning of Our Mutual Fiend and towards the end of Vortal Coil before I got to the lift.

If you can noclip past the line you have to cross, it should do it.

just got a chance to try out the fix, works great. I switched off the tinternet and avg, and various other progs that load automatically, started up episode 2 and got through the doors. did not play anyfurther though due to being very busy. Hope this cures the problem for all.

regards

Rumba

Great find Rumba. I just got rid of AVG 7.5 and installed NOD32 64bit edition and the occasional freezup/crash I would get is now gone!

As it turns out the error in red in my previous post is not the problem. Unfortunately this is a family computer and there have been many changes made without my knowledge, Firefox uninstalled,,google desktop search removed and I am sure there are others. However I can say that steam did update today and the problem is gone. The error above remains but I am getting past that door now. I understand that firewalls and Antivirus software can cause problems this is very true with other various software as well. Im sorry I could nt nail it down better than I have. Hopefully its the update.

Take care all Happy gaming.

Back