Extended HL2: EP2 trailer released!

I doubt the portal gun will ever be any HL game where you play as Gordon Freeman. There arent any mirrors in the HL games and you never seen yourself (for a reason )... whereas with the portal gun you clearly see yourself in many situations.

I doubt the portal gun will ever be any HL game where you play as Gordon Freeman. There arent any mirrors in the HL games and you never seen yourself (for a reason )... whereas with the portal gun you clearly see yourself in many situations.

That, and HL2's gameplay is still too linear to go and portal yourself to wherever you want.

Why would they put the gun in Halflife? I mean it's a weapon that is perfectly copied from another game. Just because it's made by a team that works under Valve doesn't mean they can blatantly copy the gun from another game.

Narbacular Drop was a student project, not a commercial game. I'm pretty sure Valve secured the IP from them when it took the team on board.

If Valve didn't want you to ever see what Gordon Freeman looked like they would never of come up with a look for him in the first place. That introducing the Portal gun into the half-life 2 game world means that you, the player might just see the back of Gordon (bespectacled guy in a Haz suit...big wows) when running through a portal hardly seems a solid reason to hold back from it's future inclusion.

That, and HL2's gameplay is still too linear to go and portal yourself to wherever you want.

If you read what I initially wrote you'd see that I already outlined how I believe it could be included, IE in a limited capacity (like the super gravity gun) without compromising the inherent game play nature of the franchise. However given the fact that EP2 takes place outside the confines of City 17, I would hazard that linear game play might well go out the window with that release anyway.

If Valve didn't want you to ever see what Gordon Freeman looked like they would never of come up with a look for him in the first place. That introducing the Portal gun into the half-life 2 game world means that you, the player might just see the back of Gordon (bespectacled guy in a Haz suit...big wows) when running through a portal hardly seems a solid reason to hold back from it's future inclusion.

Though you can see Gordon in various concept art, and in the hldm player models, he is never shown during any part of single player. Personally I feel valve did this on purpose as they want you to always feel as though you are Gordon, instead of just controlling his character. This would be similar to the way that Gordon never speaks.

Though you can see Gordon in various concept art, and in the hldm player models, he is never shown during any part of single player. Personally I feel valve did this on purpose as they want you to always feel as though you are Gordon, instead of just controlling his character. This would be similar to the way that Gordon never speaks.

Valves emphasis is on immersive, however I don't believe they have an embargo in place precluding showing/seeing Gordon. In the original games expansions there exist opportunities to see Gordon in the flesh (albeit briefly) in game.

As Silarn mentioned earlier, there could an underlying similarity to the Matrix Trilogy, with Silarn's comparison it was more visual - but during the Matrix Reloaded, Trinity's life is in peril, while a shift in the balance of power begins though the Matrix as a whole, resolved in the final film. While this is totally subjective, it's not uncommon for franchises to immitate each other, as Sam Raimi clearly sees influence for his Spiderman films from the Superman franchise: Sequel=Hero loses powers / Third Film=Hero goes bad, etc.

So is that bridge a model animation or what? The bending metal on the right seems impossible for physics to calculate.

Well it's a new implimentation by Valve called "Cinematic Physics", therefore I highly doubt it is mearly scripted or animated. Although it's probably has elements of those included, I'm sure part of it is done using the physics engine in real time.

Although we'll just have to wait to really know.

There's a picture of him with some other BMRF scientists in Kleiner's lab, with (one can only assume) Breen's face crossed out.
As Silarn mentioned earlier, there could an underlying similarity to the Matrix Trilogy
Oh Christ, I hope not...
*Shudders*

I bet Doug Lombardi will have something completely awesome and original in store for us.

Where have valve mentioned this Cinematic Physics? I haven't heard of it before.

I have never heard of the new gun having anything to do with portals... wasn't it said somewhere that it was going to be something like "Strider buster". A portal gun wouldn't make sense anyway, because why would the Combine want Kleiner's and Eli's teleport technology if they have a portal gun themselves, and I doupt the humans would developt the gun, because clearly they aren't that far with the technology.

So is that bridge a model animation or what? The bending metal on the right seems impossible for physics to calculate.
I've played concept games which handled physics that complicated on my medium-spec computer, so it could be totally real-time.

Oh, and whoever said that the portal gun might be a charge-up thing like the super gravity gun: Good answer, it's a possibility, but I bet you a pizza it doesn't happen :D

Where have valve mentioned this Cinematic Physics? I haven't heard of it before.

I read somewhere they hired an industry veteran (who's been working with the Lotr team for the CGI in the Lotr films) to do the trick.

Back