F1 perished heroes

Loke

Tank
Reaction score
Some users MAY find this video disturbing, as it contains a few shocking parts.

[YOUTUBE]ORs-8GT6SMU[/YOUTUBE]​

Some scenes are hard to watch, especially Roger Williamson's crash. I remember Ronnie Peterson's crash, my parents stored our newspaper the day he died on September 11 1978 which we still have lying on a safe place.

I'm glad that the safety is so much better today, a fatality in motor sports are always hard to over come.

I agree. It's a hell of a way to go though, and the drivers know the risks but would do it again in a second just to get the thrill of the race. They're adrenaline junkies at heart, and adrenaline junkies never want to die old and grey.

who was the guy in the williamson crash scene, trying to push the car back over?Damn that was sad :(

This is the closest I've come to crying in the past six months.

The Ayrton Senna crash was pretty bad, especially if you saw the whole thing. The T.V. footage in some countries continued a while after he crashed and it showed them pulling his lifeless body out of the car, surrounding and desperately trying to save him. Pretty moving actually.

at 3:50...that's the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. Imagine this been shown on the TV. unbelievable

at 3:50...that's the most disturbing thing I've ever seen. Imagine this been shown on the TV. unbelievable

That was the Tom Pryce incident http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Pryce

The guy that was sent flying was a marshall, Pryce was knocked unconcious by the impact of the fire extinguisher and his car continued down the track smashing into the barriers and killing him as well.

ok..the tom pryce thing was he the one who got hit while trying to cross the track...and whoever got hit..did they get RIPPED in half or something? because that's what it looked like.

ok..the tom pryce thing was he the one who got hit while trying to cross the track...and whoever got hit..did they get RIPPED in half or something? because that's what it looked like.

Van Vuuren's corpse was so torn apart by the impact that it was only recognized by exclusion after the race director gathered all of his colleagues
aw man :(

Jansen Van Vuuren (the teenage marshal) was the one that got hit by Pryce's car at 170MPH, Jansen was torn apart at the impact.

The impact killed both Pryce and Van Vuuren instantly, Pryce killed by the fire extinguisher that the marshall was carrying. Van Vuuren's corpse was so torn apart by the impact that it was only recognized by exclusion after the race director gathered all of his colleagues. The impact from the fire extiguisher ripped Pryce's helmet from his head.

Link.

a fatality in motor sports are always hard to over come.
Errr.. Sorry if this may appear like a troll post but is there any form of fatality accident with people you like that is EASY to overcome..?

Because you dont know them? I think Loke meant its so watched and people gain a distant fondness/love/liking to a specific driver. Like how people in the UK are so obsessed with football that if one of the 'sport's major players got shot, the whole country would breakdown for a day.

Its the same in motor racing.

I still don't understand how Pryce's helmet did nothing to ward against the impact of the fire extinguisher. He must have been going extremely, extremely fast.

Top speed almost, no?

I mean, his neck snapping is out of the question because they're in so tight I don't believe that can happen. I guess anything can be destroyed if it's hit hard enough with something even harder though.

170mph according to wikipedia. The fire extinguisher weighted 40 lbs.

I still don't understand how Pryce's helmet did nothing to ward against the impact of the fire extinguisher. He must have been going extremely, extremely fast.

According to Wiki, Pryce went approximately in 170 MPH right before the accident, which is, if I'm not mistaken, about 270 KM/H.

EDIT: Why am I so slow? :(

Yea that would be about top speed then, I guess that makes sense.

ouch :(

Saw this a while back, think was posted here

Not going to watch it again, is very very sadenning

:(

I've been totally captivated by this video, shown it to several people, the scene that touches me the most is Roger Williamsons, you see the desperation of David Purley, a fellow driver who pulls over after Roger crashes and runs over the track mid-race to try to turn over his burning wreckage, sadly, Roger did not die directly from the crash itself, but actually died from the inadequate equipment and training of the 'rescue' marshals, whom as you can see in the video, just stand by and watch and eventually pulls Purley away from the car..

Good god... Intense. I almost wish I hadn't watched it. That last one... how his head just rolls slightly forwards? Man. Stink.

Sad, but what makes them heroes again?

After reviewing the definition of hero, I conclude that these divers can be deemed heroes, as they express great feats of courage.

However, I can't think of any better way to die than doing what you love.

Back