Fallout FPS: Bethesda shows BoS off, rapes logic

The point is though, with game development cycles being what they are now, you kind of want people who have the potential to make decent products to not waste time on stuff that isn't going to be all that, at the end of the day. I honestly don't think that after all these years the fallout franchise actually means that much in terms of sales, especially where the game is quite clearly not following in the footsteps of the earlier games. So I don't think it's a given that this game is going to shift like hot cakes. I think once people got past the hype, everyone visibly cooled about Oblivion and I think a lot of people will hold out for the reviews on fallout 3 before making a decision on whether to purchase it.

Hmmm. You have a point there.

I'm not sure how large the idiot "Oh look guns and apocolypse that looks cool" market is, to be honest, so I was just guessing.

I'm not sure how large the idiot "Oh look guns and apocolypse that looks cool" market is, to be honest, so I was just guessing.

How does that make them idiots? Some people have never played a Fallout game before, and media is as scarce as can be right now so its not too bad to get a good first impression from that concept.

I like that Genre tbh.

"an advanced version of Radiant AI, America?s First Choice in Human Interaction Simulation. Facial expressions, gestures, unique dialog, and lifelike behavior are brought together with stunning results"

Advanced? You can't polish a turd.

Insta-FailTM

Actually is this game going to have oblivion style gameplay and the enemy levelling up with you stuff?

this game will sell bucketloads ..regardless if the faithful are pleased or not ..in fact I'd argue it'll be successful despite the angry cries of the faithful

Actually is this game going to have oblivion style gameplay and the enemy levelling up with you stuff?

not really:

http://fallout3.wordpress.com/2007/07/14/desslock-explains-level-scaling-on-fallout-3/

Fortunately, Fallout 3 will not use Oblivion?s level-scaling, but contrary to what you may have read elsewhere, scaling isn?t completely discarded.

The first important change is that creatures never scale up in abilities to match your level, so each Deathclaw in F3 will always have the same attributes, regardless of your character?s level when you have the misfortune of encountering it.

Second, each territory in the game is now assigned an encounter level that determines the level and equipment of critters when you discover that area, so a first-level character that wanders into an area designated as ?encounter level 5″ will be badly outmatched by the inhabitants. Loot is also generally scaled to the area?s encounter level, but some item items will be hand-placed, which is similar to how Morrowind handled loot.

An area?s level doesn?t remain static, but it gets locked as soon as you enter it. If you enter a city block designated as a level 5 area, it will remain a level 5 area and never scale up in difficulty. Areas you haven?t yet encountered do ?tether up? in difficulty level, but the tethering level doesn?t linearly scale with your level, so there?s still an advantage to gaining experience levels.

The city block that?s initially designated as a level 5 area will tether up and be designated as a level8 area if you don?t wander into it until you?re a level 15 character. But since an area?s level is locked once you enter it, you?ll still get the satisfaction of returning to a previously difficult area and annihilating its residents once you have a more powerful character.

Bethesda?s still tweaking these systems, but they should make exploration more interesting and not diminish the regard for advancement by making you feel like you can never really get ahead. I?d still prefer a static world like Gothic?s, where encounters are always consistent regardless of your character level, but this toned-down scaling system sounds like a huge improvement over Oblivions.

That blog is actually a great source for Fallout 3 info.

this game will sell bucketloads ..regardless if the faithful are pleased or not ..in fact I'd argue it'll be successful despite the angry cries of the faithful

Fantasy & Sci-fi far outweigh Post-apoc in terms of genre popularity, I wouldn't take it as a given at all.

Fantasy & Sci-fi far outweigh Post-apoc in terms of genre popularity, I wouldn't take it as a given at all.

agreed however this is a big name game from a big name developer ..that alone will sell copies

agreed however this is a big name game from a big name developer ..that alone will sell copies

But it's not a big name any more, your Average Johnny Highstreet isn't going to be big on fallout at all as it's been so long since the last game. The product is going to stand more on Beths reputation, and Oblivion wasn't that inspiring tbf.

but it's still a known property ..and bethesda a known developer ..Oblivion didnt sell in the millions because of Elder Scrolls 2 ..sure there's always a fan base but that's the minority

what were the sales figures for morrowind?

anyways this is an excercise in hair splitting ..suffice it to say it will sell lots of boxes

what were the sales figures for morrowind?

anyways this is an excercise in hair splitting ..suffice it to say it will sell lots of boxes

Everyone expected Crysis & UT3 to sell bucketloads as well, and we all know how that turned out.

perhaps for ut3 but not crysis ..there's not enough uber pcs out there to sell in the millions of copies

besides UT3 lost it's window of opportunity sometime last year

Monty Python encounters were great ;(

Personally, one the the main reasons I love Fallout 1 and 2 so much is that they never take themselves too seriously. However, one of the reasons for their success is that you can, if you wish, take them very seriously. It's this harmonious juxtaposition of comedy and tragedy, if you will, that make the games so appealing to so many people.

I really don't care what changes Bethdesa make to Fallout 3. I don't care whether they introduce giant bees, make the main antagonist a giant descending foot or alter the lore in profound and disturbing ways. All I care about is that the game is good, and enjoyable.

Of course, I've read many articles which seem to imply that certain aspects of the game will be, put plainly, crap. Such as the dialogue. Which is, like, the best bit.

I'm tempted to take the implication that since everyone hated Oblivion, and they seem to assume that they are going to mess Fallout 3 up based on that, that I will like Fallout 3 because I actually did like Oblivion.

They were (uber)PC only, Fallout 3's a console game as well.

UT was Console as well, and the spec wasn't that high for it on the PC tbh. The main thing is, though it's a well known big selling franchise and had immense amounts of coverage and favourable reviews and yet it tanked embarrassingly.

Oh, yes, they seriously seriously need better writers than they had for Oblivion. Here's hoping.

There was no good Fallout game released in the past ten years.

I agree with Stern. An average game will sell just fine provided it's a known name.

I've never played a Fallout game (apart from maybe a demo) and yet I clicked on this thread and am about to read wikipedia about it just because I recognised the name.

I agree with Stern. An average game will sell just fine provided it's a known name.

I've never played a Fallout game (apart from maybe a demo) and yet I clicked on this thread and am about to read wikipedia about it just because I recognised the name.

I never played Far Cry, but I recognize Crytek's naming.
I never played FIFA, but I recognize the title.
I never played (insert game name) but I recognize (insert recognition).

Rudimentary gaming knowledge has no bearing on sales.

EDIT: http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=797865&st=0&p=11597438&#entry11597438

What diffrences do you see between super mutants from fallout 1 and from fallout 3? Or what do you see (what makes them look original, color, eyes or so) that makes them look as they do in Fallout 1?

Gary: Sprites vs 3d models? Large textures? Skeletal physics? The idea wasnt to make them "original" but to stick as close as possible to the Supermutants everyone has learned to love and to bring them to the 3d world. I think we have done a pretty damned good job of it so far and I hope you all agree when we are finished.

He's not even aware that they're doing it wrong.

Yeah, they've a movie in FO2 that shows what the super mutant looks like up close, with Marcus.

I never played Far Cry, but I recognize Crytek's naming.
I never played FIFA, but I recognize the title.
I never played (insert game name) but I recognize (insert recognition).

Rudimentary gaming knowledge has no bearing on sales.

In terms of marketing getting you to recognise a name and what it represents is a large part of the battle it's why sequels and movie tie-ins exist.
If somebody plays FPSs and has heard of FarCry then they are more likely to buy FarCry compared to another FPS that they have never heard of before.

Ch: There were two FMVs in original FO, showing the muties in their hunched, hulking glory.

Op: Fallout has none of these, the last sequel was released in 1998 and the subsequent spinoffs butchered it, with the cancellation of Fallout 3 being the coup de grace.

Back