Favorite metal band?

System of a Down, if you would consider that metal.

I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite. I generally like only one album, or a few songs from a lot of different bands.

Though I'm not really into them hardcore anymore, I could probably safely go with Metallica, but that's only because I've heard all of their songs and so it has more quantity of songs backing the choice.

I like a lot of Motorhead and AC/DC, My Dying Bride, In Flames...

If you cant pick one, list he sub-genres and your favorites from each :). In flames used to be good..not a huge fan anymore.

Fear Factory's an all time fav of mine.

Depends on how I'm feeling, Iron Maiden is probably my all time favourite metal band, though I haven't really listened to much Maiden recently.

I like Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Metallica, Meshuggah and Porcupine Tree (metal at some points).

Pantera or Alice in Chains (Though AIC's stuff tends to be more depressing, theses just something humbling about the lyrics...)

Pantera or Alice in Chains (Though AIC's stuff tends to be more depressing, theses just something humbling about the lyrics...)
Maybe because the singer was slowly killing himself with drugs?... ;)

For me it's either Blind Guardian or Symphony X.

I'm not big on metal, but my favorite metal band in high school was Queensryche.

Metallica, Kidneythieves, Staind, Static-X, TOOL, to name a few.

If he's referring to the Immortal vid, it comes from more of a thrash/heavy metal album with black metal styled vox and some BM elements. Immortal are black metal legend but they haven't put out a BM album since 1995, really.
Axis of Advance are an atmospheric death metal band with impenetrable production values, which makes a lot of people mislabel them as black metal.

Axis of Advance are not listener friendly but every metal fan owes it to themselves to check out Immortal's 'At the Heart of Winter' album (the aforementioned thrashy material), and wrestle with the vocal style if it's not to their taste.

...I don't owe myself anything but the new AIC album.

I can appreciate the production values that go into it, but there's more than that to creating music. But then again, I guess everyone has their tastes, so listen to what you like... But be prepared for me to scoff at you. :p

There are at least 100 metal bands out there that kick so much ****ing ass - they've almost got it all, but are off on just that one element that completely ruins them. It's almost always that they have poor vocals but incredible guitarists, and sometimes it's drummers that are skillful, but unlistenable/unlikeable.

It pains me when these bands have this one minute of absolute perfection, but then they go right back to screaming bloody murder and what sounds like them playing their guitars with their knees or some shit.

There are at least 100 metal bands out there that kick so much ****ing ass - they've almost got it all, but are off on just that one element that completely ruins them. It's almost always that they have poor vocals but incredible guitarists, and sometimes it's drummers that are skillful, but unlistenable/unlikeable.

It pains me when these bands have this one minute of absolute perfection, but then they go right back to screaming bloody murder and what sounds like them playing their guitars with their knees or some shit.

I can't really listen to metal unless the singers are up to par with the rest of the band. That's why I enjoy Symphony X a lot. Russel Allen is one of my favorite vocalists, and paired with Michael Romeo's amazing guitar work, I love it.

Michael Romeo demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgMmYTIMrZE&feature=related

And the full song (using a step-mania vid because it happens to be the highest quality version of this song on youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfRsi-JWHhc

And from the same album comes this incredible song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdei...E91DF382&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=43

I haven't one favourite, though I guess top runners would be ISIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awg99tk6vys

This band boggle my mind with their talent. Stupendous amount of creativity and unique textured elements and with fantastically well written lyrics and themes to boot.

Right now on the side, though, Anaal Nathrakh do take my fancy a hell of a lot, esp. with the latest release In The Constellation of the Black Widow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DKINX-7Kc

New album is the dogs bollocks.

Anaal Nathrakh are a band I used to like a hell of a lot too, but I very much cooled off on after the 'When Fire Rains Down...' EP. I'm not too taken with the above song either, but the 'Codex Necro' is still great for me, lots of old-Mayhem-worship riffing.

Maiden all time fave!
saw them live, best concert ive ever seen. and i see a lot of freaking concerts every year

but i really like a lot of other bands. like anthrax, AC/DC, motely crue, sabbath, GnR,
basically the older, metal. none of the new, scream you face off metal... that sucks massive ****

Yeah, I can never get into screamo stuff; sounds very flat, dry, & repetitive musically. Older hair metal kicks ass, though.

Also probably the most metal bands to have been posted as of yet, 'cept for the guy who mentioned Napalm Death. Respect! Top live band, totally nuts guys and damn fine people to share a brew with at a gig.

Anaal Nathrakh are a band I used to like a hell of a lot too, but I very much cooled off on after the 'When Fire Rains Down...' EP. I'm not too taken with the above song either, but the 'Codex Necro' is still great for me, lots of old-Mayhem-worship riffing.

Ah, I'm really liking all their outputs myself. Haven't given either of those releases the proper comb over as I started out on Eschaton and Hell Is Empty... but yeah, it's fantastic stuff. I'm very awkward when it comes to black metal and it's the little unique edges that the odd band out there put into their efforts to get my attention such as the grind elements of AN. Pretty big on Wolves in the Throne Room, too.

Do need to catch them live at some point.

Yeah, I can never get into screamo stuff; sounds very flat, dry, & repetitive musically. Older hair metal kicks ass, though.

OH F***
how could i forget hair metal...
ZZ TOP FTW!
I think i might be seeing them with areosmith in september

I've heard some metal that is stupid hilariously terrible and the fans are going apeshit. I don't get it. I won't knock it though, but I won't listen to it either.

OH F***
how could i forget hair metal...
ZZ TOP FTW!
ZZ top has gone through some different genres over the past 25 years or so, but they've never been hair metal. But yeah, I don't care what anyone says, ZZ top has some incredible songs, mostly stuff from the 70's, like Just Got Paid.

Hair metal is Glam Rock - like what you posted: Motley Crue .. but a group like Poison is the definition of Glam Rock

Ah, I'm really liking all their outputs myself. Haven't given either of those releases the proper comb over as I started out on Eschaton and Hell Is Empty... but yeah, it's fantastic stuff. I'm very awkward when it comes to black metal and it's the little unique edges that the odd band out there put into their efforts to get my attention such as the grind elements of AN. Pretty big on Wolves in the Throne Room, too.

Do need to catch them live at some point.
Yeah, their stuff was more straight BM flavoured in the beginning, and shared riffing styles a bit more with Frost, which was Migg/Irrumator's retro-BM project (which I don't recall being that good, sadly). The stop-start riffs which they started to use more and more are less to my taste, but if you like that grinding/grooving element then 'Cataclysmic Nihlism' (from the 'When Fire...' EP) is a real beast of a song in that vein.

Also agreed@Napalm Death being really nice-seeming guys who put on a great live set.

Back