Fsaa & Af

BaNDiT

Reaction score
I was wondering exactly how each of those helps quality. can either one make a low resolution look as good as a high one? thanks

if no one is gonna explain, could someone please tell me hwere i could find this information?

im sure in games you have noticed how vertical edges sometimes have "jaggies" right? well anti aliasing smooths those out and makes it look much better, so yes, you can run at a lower res and have a nice looking picture, especially if you have a card like the 9800 pro which can do aa and af without taking too much of a performance hit.

af is different, it has to do with making textures look better, say you're standing on one side of a map look across, and the texture on the floor looks really good close to you, but as you look up the floor farther away the texture becomes really blurry, well af corrects this and makes the texture look better all the way so you dont get such an abrupt good texture look to bad texture look :)

not a vert technical description, but basically both of them improve the image quality.

Another Question: whic process would cost more fps:

from 1280 x 1024 0x FSAA ---> 1600 x 1200 0x FSAA
or
from 1280 x 1024 0x FSAA ---> 1280 x 1024 4x FSAA

Thanks a lot

Originally posted by BaNDiT
Another Question: whic process would cost more fps:

from 1280 x 1024 0x FSAA ---> 1600 x 1200 0x FSAA
or
from 1280 x 1024 0x FSAA ---> 1280 x 1024 4x FSAA

Thanks a lot

To 1600 x 1200.

Im running all my games at 4x FSAA and 8x AF (i have a Radeon 9700 "non pro") I dont notice any slowdowns. I only have a 17" monitor right now because my 21" blow up for some months...a new one is coming.

ATI is much better at FSAA and AF. You need higher Anti alising on a geforce to make it look like the ATIs but then you loose alot of perfomance because Geforce just simulate higher FSAA (and therefore loose a lot of performance).

If you want to run games with FSAA and AF (i dont see why), then go for ATI.

Originally posted by Majestic XII
To 1600 x 1200.

Im running all my games at 4x FSAA and 8x AF (i have a Radeon 9700 "non pro") I dont notice any slowdowns. I only have a 17" monitor right now because my 21" blow up for some months...a new one is coming.

ATI is much better at FSAA and AF. You need higher Anti alising on a geforce to make it look like the ATIs but then you loose alot of perfomance because Geforce just simulate higher FSAA (and therefore loose a lot of performance).

If you want to run games with FSAA and AF (i dont see why), then go for ATI.

Actually the latest FX5900 doesnt have any of those 'problems' and runs faster than the 9800 pro at higher resolutions with FSAA and AF on.

Originally posted by |MaTT|
Actually the latest FX5900 doesnt have any of those 'problems' and runs faster than the 9800 pro at higher resolutions with FSAA and AF on.

Everything above 4x FSAA is a combination of SSAA and MSAA. MSAA is a very big performance eater.

If you run at 4x FSAA on a Radeon 9700/9800 you need atleast 8x FSAA on the Geforce to make it look just as good as it does at the ATI card.

Back