fun facts for the day

xcellerate

Tank
Reaction score
• Jeruselem is the only city that has been forcibly taken over more times than Paris
• Operators for Disneyland's "It's a Small World" ride have a higher suicide rate than any other profession.
• Nine percent of over-the-counter prescriptions are written for placebos.
• An adult Andean condor can fly while carrying a fully grown sheep over one mile.
• A rat's sneeze contains no bacteria.
• The winter of 1918 was the only year cold enough that all of Niagara Falls froze.
• A piece of paper and 10 matchsticks use roughly the same amount of wood.
• The dime has the highest ratio of value to weight of any coin in the world.
• The technical name for a plus sign (+) is a quadrapoint.
• Red-haired people are twice as likely to be married by age 23 than their blonde-haired counterparts.
• U.S. Banks currently hold $48.6 billion in unclaimed inheritance funds.
• Time zone differences cost the world economy over 12 billion dollars a year in lost efficiency.
• Users of earbud headphones, like the ones that come with an iPod, experience a 61 percent increase in ear wax production.
# Everyone always wanted to know . . . What is a blue moon? Well, when their are two full moons in one month, the second one is called a "blue" moon.
# There are about 5,000,000,000 years on of sunlight left, like I really care?
# When the moon is directly over your head, you weigh slightly less.
# If you traveled the speed of light, it would only take you 0.0000294 seconds to climb Mt. Everest.
# The period at the end of this sentence can hold 2,000,000 hydrogen atoms.
# You have enough red blood cells in your body to circle (the veins) the planet 2.5 times.
# Planet Jupiter spins so fast that there are 2 sunrises and 2 sunsets every 24 hours by earth time.
# Planet Venus is the only planet to spin counter-clockwise.
# It is impossible to land on planet Jupiter, because, scientists believe that below all the gases and liguid there is a center [core] which is made up of small ball of pressurized iron, but it is impossible to tell for sutre.
# Minus forty degrees Celsius is exactly the same as minus forty degrees Fahrenheit.
# The coldest outdoor temperature ever recorded on earth was 127 below zero in Antarctica on August 24, 1960.
# The highest recorded temperature in the US was 134 Fahrenheit in Death Valley, California.
# Non-dairy creamer is flammable.
# You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.
# You breath 13 pints of air per minute.
# Rubber bands last longer if you keep them refrigerated.
# In 1943, Navy officer Grace Hopper had no choice but to fix a computer glitch manually. The source of the problem? A moth. Hence the term "computer bug."
# One of the largest carriers of hepitius B is diner mints.
# After the sun, the closest star to Earth is 25,000,000,000,000 miles away.
# Stars with really strong gravity cause themselves to become smaller and smaller and eventually turn into black holes.
# Stars come in different colors; hot stars give off blue light, and the cooler stars give off red light.
# Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
# If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.
# The little bags of netting for gas lanterns (called 'mantles') are radioactive, so much so that they will set off an alarm at a nuclear reactor.
# Each unit on the Richter Scale is equivalent to a power factor of about 32. So a 6 is 32 times more powerful than a 5! Though it goes to 10, 9 is estimated to be the point of total tectonic destruction. 2 is the smallest that can be felt unaided.
# Dry ice does not melt, it evaporates.
# The human body has over 45 miles of nerves.
# The record for the biggest one day rainfall was set on Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean, on March 15, 1952, where 74 inches of rain fell in 24 hours.
# The right lung takes in more air than the left.
# Of the 206 bones in the human body, 52 are in the feet.
# It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
# One 75-watt light bulb gives off more light than three 25-watt light bulbs.
# The pop you hear when you crack your knuckles is actually a bubble of gasburning.
# For 186 days you can not see the sun in the North Pole.
# Any free-moving liquid in outer space will form itself into a sphere, because of it's surface tension.
# The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.
# A full-grown pumpkin has about 15 miles of roots.
# Scientists have performed brain surgery on cockroaches.
# Every ten minutes, another plant or animal life form becomes extinct.
# The heart of an astronaut actually gets smaller when in outer space.
# In space, astronauts are unable to cry, tears can't flow down, because of the lack of gravity.
# Wet sand weighs less than dry sand.
# The shape of a plants' collenchyma cells and the shape of the bubbles in beer foam are the same - they are orthotetrachidecahedrons.
# Lightning strikes somewhere about 6,000 times per second on Earth.
# If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.
# A women's heart beats faster than men.
# The best recorded distance for projectile vomiting is 27 feet.
# Our eyes are always stay the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
# Men can read smaller print than women.
# If you are having problems remembering the planets in their correct order, just remember this sentance "My very educated mother justed served us nine pickles," Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupitor, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.
# The queen of England has two birthdays.
# Betsy Ross is the only real person to ever have been the head on a Pez dispenser.
# The world's longest name is: Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Shermasn Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorft Sr.
# Anne Boleyn had three breasts.
# Adolf Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.
# Marilyn Monroe had eleven toes.
# Leif Erikson was the first European to set foot on North America in the year 1000. (No, it wasn't Columbus)
# Queen Victoria eased the discomfort of her menstrual cramps by having her doctor supply her with marijuana.
# "Mad About You" star Paul Reiser plays the piano on the show's theme song.
# The "Sesame Street" characters Bert and Ernie were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the cab driver in Frank Capra's "It's A Wonderful Life."
# The youngest movie star to win an Academy Award was Shirly Temple who won an Oscar in 1934 at the age of 6.
# Samual Morse, who invented the telegraph, was originally a portrait painter and didn't give up painting to turn to inventing until he was 46 years old.
# John Lennon's first girlfriend was named Thelma Pickles.
# Shirly Temple received 135,000 presents on her 8th birthday.
# There are 2,382,500 (rounded) Smiths in the U.S.
# About 10,000,000 people have the same birthday as you.
# Mozart sold one of his most prized pieces, Symphony No. 5 for under $20.
# The airplane, Buddy Holly died in, was the "American Pie," which is where Don McLarean got the song title from.
# The name for Oz in the "Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence "Oz."
# Virgina Woolf wrote all of her books standing.
# The first shopping bag with handles was invented in 1918 by Walter Deubener.
# The first credit card [the Diners Card] was invented by Frank M. Namara in 1950.
# Rene Descartes came up with the theory of coordinate geometry by looking at a fly walk across a tiled ceiling.
# Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them, burnt their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired."
# Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 year later.
# Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
# Captain Jean-Luc Picard's (Star Trek) fish was named Livingston.
# Elvis had a twin brother named Garon, who died at birth, which is why Elvis' middle name was spelled Aron; in honor of his brother.
# Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel, "Gadsby", which contains over 50,000 words, not a single word contained the letter "E."
# The Beatles song "Dear Prudence" was written about Mia Farrow's sister, Prudence, when she wouldn't come out and play with Mia and the Beatles at a religious retreat in India.
# Orville Wright was involved in the first aircraft accident. His passenger, a Frenchman, was killed.
# Born on November 2, 1718, British politician, John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, is credited with naming the 'sandwich.' He developed a habit of eating beef between slice of toast so he could continue to play cards uninterrupted.
# On the cartoon show "The Jetsons," Jane is 33 years old and her daughter Judy is 15 years old.
# The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.
# Cher's last name was Sarkissian, she changed it because no one could pronounce it and it would not be accepted in show business.
# Of the 266 men who have been pope, 33 have died violently.
# The lie detector was invented by John Augustus Larson in 1921.
# The biro was invented by George and Lazio Biro.
# Marie Curie, the Nobel prize winning scientist who discovered radium, died on July 4, 1934 of radiation poisoning.
# Sugar was first added to chewing gum in 1869 by a dentist (William Semple).
# Paper was invented early in the second century by Chinese eunuch.
# Everyone thought Albert Einstein suffered from dyslexia, because he couldn't speak properly until he was 9 years old.
# Sir Isaac Newton was only 23 years old when he discovered the law of universal gravitation.
# Hitler and Napoleon both had only one testicle
# Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.
# Gweneth Paltrow's nickname for Steven Speilberg is "Uncle Morty."
# Steven Speilberg calls Gweneth Paltrow "Gwynnie the pooh."
# Roseanne's fear is anyone touching her toes.
# Johnny Depp is afraid of clowns.
# Madonna suffers from garophobia (the fear of thunder).
# Kim Basinger fears large crowds. She even locked herself in her house for 4 months, because of this fear.
# Pamela Anderson Lee is Canada's Centennial Baby, being the first baby born on the centennial anniversary of Canada's independence.
# Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
# Cinderella's slippers were originally made out of fur. The story was changed in the 1600's by a translator.
# Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
# Dr. Seuss pronounced "Seuss" such that it rhymed with "rejoice."
# In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam."
# Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."
# Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty," but he did say, "Beam me up, Mr. Scott".
# Howdy Doody had 48 freckles.
# Goethe couldn't stand the sound of barking dogs and could only write if he had an apple rotting in the drawer of his desk.
# The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
# The Baby Ruth candy bar was actually named after Grover Cleveland's baby daughter, Ruth.
# Steve Young, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback, is the great-great-grandson of Mormon leader Brigham Young.
# The magnolia tree is named after Pierre Magnol, a French scientist.
# The original story from Tales of 1001 Arabian Nights begins, "Aladdin was a little Chinese boy."
# It was the left shoe that Aschenputtel (Cinderella) lost at the stairway, when the prince tried to follow her. It was originally the right, but the translator messed up again.
# Armored knights raised their visors to identify themselves when they rode past their king. This custom has become the modern military salute.
# Walt Disney got the idea for Mickey Mouse from watching mice play in a garage, where he was forced to work, because he could not afford to rent an art studio.
# Walt Disney named Mickey Mouse after Mickey Rooney, whose mother he dated.
# The sorcerer's name in Disney's Fantasia is Yensid, which happens to be Disney backwards.
# Christopher Columbus had blonde hair.
# In 1970, an Arizona lawyer named Russel H. Ansie filed a $100,000 law suit against G-d. He won because the defendant never showed up in court.
# Nobody knows where Mozart is buried.
# White out was invented by the mother of Mike Nesmith (Formerly of the Monkees).
# Francis Bacon died of hypothermia while trying to freeze a chicken by stuffing it with snow.
# Wesley Snipes has a 5th Degree Black Belt.
# Wesley Snipes installed public telephones while struggling to become an actor in New York.
# During the Reign of Peter the Great, their was a special tax on anyone who had a beard.
# Samuel Clemens [AKA Mark Twain] was born in 1835 when Haley's Comet came into view. When he died in 1910, Haley's Comet came into view again.
# Charles Lindbergh took only four sandwiches with him on his famous transatlantic flight.
# In 1963, baseball pitcher Gaylord Perry remarked, "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." On July 20, 1969, a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, Gaylord Perry hit his first, and only, home run.
# Gilligan of Gilligan's Island had a first name that was only used once, on the never-aired pilot show. His first name was Willy.
# Alfred Hitchcock did not have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
# Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors.
# Sting got his name from a black and yellow striped sweater he would wear a lot.

i was just looking through, and the michle jackson caught my eye :p

copy / pasted!
did you know 80% of staistics are mad eup on the sopt :rollseyes:

Some important facts about the current president of the USA:

-George W. Bush was born in 1946
-George W. Bush is 58 years old
-The first moon landing was in 1969. That means George W. Bush was 23 years old when this happened.
-World War 2 ended in 1945. This means George W. Bush was -1 years old when this happened.
-George W. Bush celebrated his 56th birthday in 2002.
-In 2010, George W. Bush will be a whopping 64 years old.
-George W. Bush graduated from Yale in 1968. This meant he was 22 years old.

you mentioned the thing with niagra falls in 1918 twice

heres one, maybe i missed it
if u cant remember the first few digits of Pi, remember this:
How I wish I could calculate Pi
3 . 1 4 1 5 9 2

this amazing information will surely help me with my Higher Maths exam tomorow . . . i shoudl really revise

Alec_85 said:
However not very interesting ;)

I was being [insert very weird form of humour here].

I don't know, my favourite magazine, the Viz has the same kind of humour like this, and worse.

Examples, from the top tips:
AMERICANS. Build your houses out of bricks and mortar instead of cheap wood to avoid having them destroyed by hurricanes every few weeks.

In the letter box:
In Charlie and the Chocolate factory, was nobody even a little bit suspicious that, after 20 years in bed, Grandpa Jo jumped to his feet and danced about like Fred Astaire when he got offered a free meal ticket? Lazy ****.

"Stop taking the piss!" I said to my son recently. We both had to laugh as he is a doctor and was taking a urine sample from me for some tests. The laughter soon faded when the results came back and he informed me that I will be dead within 6 months.

# The queen of England has two birthdays.
Explain

# The name for Oz in the "Wizard of Oz" was thought up when the creator, Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence "Oz."
Don't you mean A-M?

Edit: All mamals dream. Even you pet dog! *DON DON DONNNNNNN*

furiousV said:
you mentioned the thing with niagra falls in 1918 twice

He didn't actually mention it twice, both were different occasions, just the 2nd one contradicts the 1st one :S.

xcellerate said:
The winter of 1918 was the only year cold enough that all of Niagara Falls froze.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

ríomhaire said:
Don't you mean A-M?

What?? M,N,O - N is next to O, M is not.
And the Queen of England celebrates an 'official' birthday and her own.

Very interesting read though, some are very strange, loved the 'It's a small world' one though, that ride was annoying....
Some of my own;
- The Vatican City is the smallest country in the world, with a population of 1,000 people, it is actually situated inside Rome.
- President Kennedy once made a speech to the people of West Berlin after the erection of the Berlin wall. He spoke the phrase "Ich bin ein Berliner" instead of "Ich bin Berliner", which literally translated means "I am a jelly doughnut" instead of "I am a Berliner".

I know alot more, I just can't remember them.

Reaper-X said:
What?? M,N,O - N is next to O, M is not.
There is o such thig as the letter "N". It was made up to scare childre.

3.1415926535897932 is as far as I can go off the top of my head

i was wrong on BOTH counts about the niagra falls, sorry, heres the correction: "HOWEVER.... The flow of water was stopped completely over both falls on March 29th 1848 due to an ice jam in the upper river for several hours. This is the only known time to have occurred. The Falls did not actually freeze over, but the flow was stopped to the point where people actually walked out and recovered artifacts from the riverbed! "

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/Facts_about_Niagara_Falls.htm

furiousV said:
heres one, maybe i missed it
if u cant remember the first few digits of Pi, remember this:
How I wish I could calculate Pi
3 . 1 4 1 5 9 2

this amazing information will surely help me with my Higher Maths exam tomorow . . . i shoudl really revise
:LOL: . I don't have to remember pi. In Ireland we can use calculators and maths tables. :LOL:

Yeah, and in exams they even let us just take it as 3.142 sometimes. Though sometimes they make us use calculators. Why would you want to work out Pi in your head??

I always found that remembering the plants with the phrase "My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets" was the best way :)

Chris_D said:
I always found that remembering the plants with the phrase "My Very Easy Method Just Speeds Up Naming Planets" was the best way :)

My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles.

Learned that from my cousin. :)

ríomhaire said:

She was born on April the 21st but also has a birthday in June (11th I think) because it should be better weather for celebrations. I only know this because my birthday is the 21st of Apri.

Reaper-X said:
Yeah, and in exams they even let us just take it as 3.142 sometimes. Though sometimes they make us use calculators. Why would you want to work out Pi in your head??
its just a fun fact.
Apu (from the Simpsons) can remeber the first 40 digits :rolling:

i heard somewhere that to transmit a signal for a short time consumes the equivelant amount of energy as a christmas tree light bulb for a fraction of a second, someone confirm that?

kirovman said:
I was being [insert very weird form of humour here].

I don't know, my favourite magazine, the Viz has the same kind of humour like this, and worse.

Examples, from the top tips:

In the letter box:

TheViz is amazin, whens that "fat slags" movie out?
sadly geri halliwell is in it :x ...

i have a book called The bulging sack which is the best of letterbocks.

this is one i jus looked at...

Chuck Wanker jr said:
My favourite "You've been Framed" clip is the one when that bloke is waving cherily to all those people from his car, completely unaware that hes about to be shot in the head. The look on his wife's face!
haha :D

Murray_H said:
She was born on April the 21st but also has a birthday in June (11th I think) because it should be better weather for celebrations. I only know this because my birthday is the 21st of Apri.
My birthday is the 11th of June :D.

KoreBolteR said:
TheViz is amazin, whens that "fat slags" movie out?
sadly geri halliwell is in it :x ...

i have a book called The bulging sack which is the best of letterbocks.

this is one i jus looked at...

haha :D

The fat slags movie sucked big time apparently :(

I got the bulging sack and a couple of annuals too.

I got a DVD of roger mellie, but it's exactly the same as the videos on the website.

Haha I love that quote about JFK too.

Shens said:
My Very Eager Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles.

Learned that from my cousin. :)

Heheh, I was just about to say that, only I heard it -

My Very Entertaining Mother Just Served Us Nine Pancakes :E

Back