Gabe Newell Interview at Half Rules

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Berserk Forces from Spanish Half-Life 2 fan-site, Half-Rules has finally gotten his wish of doing an interview with Gabe Newell.[br]Despite the interview being conducted just before Christmas, Berserk Forces has only just received the questions back and it does contain some new information:
Half-Rules: We know there's going to be a Half-Life 3, but... is Half-Life a trilogy?
Gabe: I don't know.
Half-Rules: What can you tell us about the ATI maps? From what we know, it sounds like a pack of VERY detailed maps that'll take full advantage of our video card, could you give us more info on that?
Gabe: I'm working on a presentation on these maps describing what we were trying to accomplish (sort of a "Making of ..." piece). This should answer your questions.
The interview covers everything from Half-Life 2, to Team Fortress 2 to Day of Defeat: Source as well as some miscellaneous information that I know you Half-Life 2 junkies will love.[br]So don't delay, get the full interview by visiting this page.

So HL was always considered a trilogy, now its a I don't know

Which is pretty cool thinking about it :D:D:D

They've never said it's a trilogy and I'd be happy if it wasn't. Half-Life and Half-Life 2 defeated so many clichés, it'd be a shame for it to fall over on the biggest cliché of all time - the trilogy.

:D

Gabe rules. Enough said.

Also, he said he doesn't know if they're going to be at this years E3. I hope they are.:(

Harryz said:
Gabe rules. Enough said.

Also, he said he doesn't know if they're going to be at this years E3. I hope they are.:(
I had a similar response from Doug Lombardi this week.

I doubt they'll actually know until March. You know what they're like :p

Nice interview, here's to hoping ATI maps out soon so my 6800 can pwn them ;) or die trying

Chris_D said:
They've never said it's a trilogy and I'd be happy if it wasn't. Half-Life and Half-Life 2 defeated so many clichés, it'd be a shame for it to fall over on the biggest cliché of all time - the trilogy.

I said _considered_ as a trilogy, not confirmed as :p

I just hope they don't do a prequel, isn't that the "in thing" at the moment, apart from marvel anything hehe.

A trilogy is fine, I don't mind them, its when the people who make the trilogy start seeing dollar signs too much and then tack on another and another and another until its been milked for all its worth :(

Like the Matrix? :D

A prequel would be quite cool if it wasn't for the fact it'd completely rape the storyline.

Chris_D said:
Like the Matrix? :D

A prequel would be quite cool if it wasn't for the fact it'd completely rape the storyline.
Thanks, bring up the matrix, now I've another memory to repress :p

But yeah, perfect example, or like that Orange commercial, about the "fourth in the trilogy of LotR's" lol.

hmm HL1 the prequel: paperwork at Black Mesa hehe

Or maybe Gordon's adventures at MIT

There was a resonance cascade at MIT too, but of course with the government cover-ups and omfg it's a conspiracy!!!!11 :O we don't know about that yet ;)

Chris_D said:
There was a resonance cascade at MIT too, but of course with the government cover-ups and omfg it's a conspiracy!!!!11 :O we don't know about that yet ;)
lmao!

Ok that could be fun actually haha well maybe not :D

19.- Did anyone find the easter eggs in the E3 2003 binks yet? Now that Half-Life 2 has been released, will you tell us where (or what) were those easter eggs?

Yes. No.

Damnit! So someone knows...please tell me Im not the only one who doesnt know? And saying HL2 is his favourite game of the year would be extremely vain and egoistic(sp?).

bgesley426 said:
dude wtf...
from what I know gabe newell was a beta tester of WoW so I think is not rare that is hes favorite game

It was hardly the most revealing interview ever but interesting nonetheless. Hopefully we get to see some more game information soon.

That is a cool interview

ok,

what is ATI MAPS ????????????

I've heard that in the E3 2004 HL2 trailer the easter egg is their. Its in the Ravenholm one. You start going up the ramp, and look at the moon. Its a Combine.

I still say the easter egg is the whole 30th / 30mph thing until someone from Valve emails me and tells me otherwise :p

/stubborn mode off

5.- What's your favourite chapter in Half-Life 2?

It changes each time I play it. Right now my favorite is the section where you are managing the turrets in the prison.

Funny, that was the only part I can't stand. :p

23.- Has any developer showed interest in distributing their games through Steam?

Yes, quite a few.
heh heh, alot of people are going to be pissed off about this. Personally I will be quite happy about it though. :p

The Dark Elf said:
I still say the easter egg is the whole 30th / 30mph thing until someone from Valve emails me and tells me otherwise :p

/stubborn mode off

What part is that ?

The Mullinator said:
heh heh, alot of people are going to be pissed off about this. Personally I will be quite happy about it though. :p

I think it's a great idea. Other than the hiccups it has now, it's very well designed to support single player and multi-player games. I'm eager to see what happens with it.

Well if it stops hundreds of steam-like applications i'm all for it.

The Mullinator said:
Quoted For Truth

They said they would release more about TF2 in the Spring, so lets hope there's a Valve stand out of nowhere on E3 with TF2 :D

SimonomiS said:
19.- Did anyone find the easter eggs in the E3 2003 binks yet? Now that Half-Life 2 has been released, will you tell us where (or what) were those easter eggs?

Yes. No.

Damnit! So someone knows...please tell me Im not the only one who doesnt know? And saying HL2 is his favourite game of the year would be extremely vain and egoistic(sp?).
I think at the very end when they have that travelling through time/space thing at the very end of the clip if you play it incredibly slow theres a block of text revealing something into HL2. I've seen the text but at the res I was running I couldnt make it out.

Ohh and am I the only one that found that interview extremply borring? it was very generic and pretty much every response was 3 words or less. Shame.

Summary of interview:

Interviewer: Lots and lots of really good questions, covering a broad range of topics

Gabe: "...", "I don't know", "What? I have no idea about that. Do you think I work here or something?"

Horrible interview. Gabe doesn't answer a single thing that we didn't already know. The Half Rules site got cheated.

Meh, just Gabe covering his ass. I bet there's a whole bunch of stuff he'd like to say, but he can't because it might not pan out, and then he'd get lynched.

Like saying: "Valve will be at E3"

But then shit happens on the TF2 project, and they can't make it. And people go... "Why did you say you were gonna go to E3 when you knew you couldn't make it?"

And they can't win.

Epsi said:
Meh, just Gabe covering his ass. I bet there's a whole bunch of stuff he'd like to say, but he can't because it might not pan out, and then he'd get lynched.

Like saying: "Valve will be at E3"

But then shit happens on the TF2 project, and they can't make it. And people go... "Why did you say you were gonna go to E3 when you knew you couldn't make it?"

And they can't win.
Exactly, whenever a gaming company tells the community something but they don't realize they will be unable to do it then the community will get extremelly pissed at them. Best to keep your mouth shut and surprise everyone.

I don't think Gabe eats Krispy Kreme, he has one of his lackey's drive the 30 minutes to Monroe and buy from Fresh and Fancy Doughnuts, cause they rock. Yummy pockets of pure flavor.

Chris_D said:

true.
well i am hoping the HL series is more than just a trilogy because Valve have been so good with telling the story...and we all know how few games devs can tell a good story within a game.

bgesley426 said:
dude wtf...

Understandable, I guess technically he suppose to say hl2 as it is his own game but I admit wow is really fun, addictive, more have more hours then hl2 can ever be (sp not mods or multi and i don't think dm can last as long as wow anyway). At least its not h2.

5.- What's your favourite chapter in Half-Life 2?

It changes each time I play it. Right now my favorite is the section where you are managing the turrets in the prison.

now this IS "dude wtf..." First almost everything stay the same from routes to take to how the enermy even more in. Second that 3 turret part DROVE ME NUTS (my friends too when they wanted to beat the game)

Originally Posted by Chris_D

As much as I like the word "trilogy", judging by the story of hl2 with all the possible exploring other alien worlds, continuing humanity struggle, g-man possibilities, and a few other things like alyx that they all could could be a whole game (hl2 was just about starting the revolt to end combine power in one city alone). Either hl2 is going to be one huge game, or cramped together, or leave some big things behind. I wouldn't mind hl4 if there a need to still wrap things up (though rather go for huge great game one).

A prequel to HL could be cool :p Like a story on someone who knows what breen is up to and whos mission it is to try and stop him... you/he comes very close, yet in the end.. you die just as gordon enteres the black mesa fascility on that faithfull day.

Good read. I've gotta agree on the best game of this year; definately World of Warcraft.

tuintje said:
This whole ATI map is just really gay man. Ati maps rofl....

We at Halflife2.net would like to thankyou for your well thought-out and meaningful contribution to this discussion.

Back