Game crashes, no matter what settings I choose

R

Remmy

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.21ghz)
Video Card - nVidia GeForce 7600 GS 512mb
RAM - 1 GB
Power Supply - 400 Watt

I've tried multiple in-game setting, and nothing seems to work. Half of the time, I crash when I get attacked. Even before you get suited up in the HEV suit, getting hit by a police officer will sometimes freeze me. Running though the canals after the teleporter incident in the beginning seems to give me the most grief. The game will freeze, sometimes the sound will stutter, and then my entire computer will either freeze, or the game will just crash and I'll be returned to Steam. If I play any of the multiplayer games, I don't crash whatsoever. Thanks for any help.

-Remmy

Very odd. Maybe it was a bad install of the game. Have you tried reinstalling? I know it's a pain...

Yes, I've tried reinstalling... to no avail. Would more computer specs be helpful? And if so, which ones?

Odd. If Reinstalling hasn't helped, would revalidating at all?

Drivers up to date? Mobo, graphics card, audio, Direct X, etc etc.

Yep, I've validated, I got the latest drivers for DX, my mobo (MSI K8N Neo2), and for my video card. But occassionally I also get this message saying, "The instruction at '0x241f94f7' referenced memory at '0x0d8cf41c'. The memory could not be 'read'." Yeah...

Those crashes can be due to anything. For more technical advice, send a Steam Support Ticket: Link

Yeah, sounds like a unique problem, you'll want to submit a support ticket to Steam.

Ok, well I just took out one of my two 512 ram sticks, and the problem has stopped. Occassionally it'll hitch for a second, but then just keep on running fine. Has removing the stick freed some power from the supply? Is that why it would help? I can play games like Vanguard fairly decently, I'm not sure how that compares in terms of system strain to Half Life 2.

Faulty hardware sometimes causes it, yes. A friend of mine had a faulty motherboard for ages, but it only really screwed up when it started melting. Almost no other games had problems with the mobo before, though. Guess the Source engine is designed so that any safety checks are left out to save processing power :p

Does anyone know if there was a solution to this problem? I've been having the same issue for quite some time and just have given up on playing Source Engine games. I can play anything and everything except Source engine games...

Back