Getting more out of my graphics card?

zEphyr

Reaction score
Hi. I recently bought a Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro, and I'd like to get even MORE kick out of it. I currently have a 1.2ghz Athlon T-bird (w/ 512 ram) and motherboard that allows a processor speed of up to 2.0ghz, but which only supports up to 4x AGP. Should I: a) Just buy a faster processor chip, b) get a whole new mobo, or c) leave it as it is? I'm also wondering how much of a performance boost a faster processor and/or AGP 8x would cause. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

AGP 8X is a lot betetr then 4X, especially at higher reses

So, what are some nice motherboards with 8x AGP you could recommend? - (Most likely going to want to have Athlon)

probably most new mobos can support 8X, im not really sure, not a mobo whore, more of a gfx card whore :cheese:

Dont listen to him :)
8x AGP difference is minimal, you'll gain 1 or 2 percent. There is no application that stresses the bus that much its needed.

If you dont want to spend much money, I'd say just get a 2ghz.
Buying a new motherboard often means you have to buy both new CPU and ram, so thats more expensive... So it all depends on what you want to spend :)

Would 1.2ghz to 2.0ghz make much of a difference, or should I just wait until winter to consider a larger upgrade? I wouldn't mind spending some cash on motherboard + cpu + ram, but I'm wondering if there's any point in doing so at the moment.

Just get a mobo that supports your current type of RAM, i have pc2100 in this computer *points to computer* im gonna upgrade mobos soon and ill make sure it supportrs 2100-3200

Might newer motherboards w/ 8x AGP not support PC1600 and PC2100 DDR Ram, which is what my current mobo supports? I've noticed that quite a few newer boards don't have "PC1600" in their specs.

Originally posted by dawdler
Dont listen to him :)
8x AGP difference is minimal, you'll gain 1 or 2 percent. There is no application that stresses the bus that much its needed.

If you dont want to spend much money, I'd say just get a 2ghz.
Buying a new motherboard often means you have to buy both new CPU and ram, so thats more expensive... So it all depends on what you want to spend :)

It's an even lower differences, it's just a marketing thing.

I agree.

true, you won't be seeing games even begin to saturate the 8x AGP interface for at LEAST a year and a half

most games today don't even come close to saturating the 4x AGP interface

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
AGP 8X is a lot betetr then 4X, especially at higher reses

another person who has no idea what they are talking about :cheers:

Back