Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Not completely

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
S

Snorri

I don't know if people have done this already but I'm gonna try to understand what he says.

The Gman said:
Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise... and shine. Not that I wish... to imply you have been sleeping on the job. Noone is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until... [he hesitates] well, let's just say your hour has come again. [he pauses] The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes.
You then "get on" the train, where one of the passengers (pic) says "Didn't see you get on"

Why does the Gman call Gordon Mr. Freeman, and not Dr. Freeman, as he does in the last monolouge, and as everyone else does? I think this is something that Valve couldn't have missed. If they did I'd say it was sensationally ridiculous. He also calls him Mr. Freeman in HL1
I think this emphazises the theory I have discussed, that you (Gordon) have been teleported straight from the HL1 ending to the HL2 start, and that this "sleep" is not sleep for you, but you've missed a lot which has happened on Earth (10 years actually).
This is a flashback to the Black Mesa incident 10 years earlier, where the Gman first spotted Freeman's talents.
I have no ****ing idea what this is supposed to mean.

The Gman said:
Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again?
[Gman appears out of nowhere]
It seems if you've only just arrived. You've done a great deal in a small time...span. You've done so well in fact that I've recieved some interesting offers for your services. Ordinarily I wouldn't contemplate them, but these are extraordinary times, hmm...?
[Screen goes black, and he gasps for air]
Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you. If and when you're time comes round again...
[Then there is some kind of sound in the background, my best guess is that it's a door of some kind]
I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime, this is where I get off.
[Door/portal opens in the middle of the black void, and the Gman walks through. Cue credits]

To me this seems as if he is saying is it that time again, pointing to the end sequence from HL1 where Gman also picks up Gordon. But in the game it doesn't sound like that. Additionally, Gman is impressed of what Gordon has accomplished in the time he has spent on Earth, just as he was in HL1
Well, yes the Gman is impressed, but where do these offers come from. I keep hearing theories about the rebels hiring Gordon from Gman, and that could mean that a whole bunch of other parties want your help to kick ass.
In HL1 you are given the choice of accepting the Gman's offer and entering the portal, or you can "fight a fight you have no chance of winning" without any weapons. I.e. certain death. So this is his way of saying; all of you ****ers who weren't smart enough to walk into the portal in HL1, I'm going to make it easy for you.
(If you don't know it already, get the definition of arbitrary and imposition) Then we see how this really confuses people. The decision Gman is going to make for Gordon is "Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle" and imposed on him without his approval (Although he doesn't object either). This decision is going to be taken in the future (HL3) by the Gman alone, but he can't say when that will be. It took him 10 years to give Gordon his first assignment, and who knows when the next one will come. And then... he ****s off.

Snorri said:
(If you don't know it already, get the definition of arbitrary and imposition) Then we see how this really confuses people. The decision Gman is going to make for Gordon is "Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle" and imposed on him without his approval (Although he doesn't object either). This decision is going to be taken in the future (HL3) by the Gman alone, but he can't say when that will be. It took him 10 years to give Gordon his first assignment, and who knows when the next one will come. And then... he ****s off.
No it's saying that it may *SEEM* as if the decision is taken on a whim and that it will become CLEAR to Gordon what the G-man's purpose was in making it.

I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say.

Translation. Gabe says: so, Laidlaw will answer the story questions in the course of next game, but well, I can't give any estimates on the release day.

OMG LOL niec col0rz d00d!1
Post too hard to read. Added to ignore file...

You seem to be quite on the spot with your analyze - which I find a bit uncommon on this board.

I am guessing Gordon did nothing between Half-Life 1 and 2 because we play as Gordon and only know as much as he does.

"Time, Dr. Freeman? Is it really that time again?"

Time to go back to whatever place or state that Gordon has been for all this time. The whole ending just make it a point that you are not a free man.

"The one free man" -as Gordon is called.

It is ironic isn't it? Considering that what you are fighting for (atleast what you think you are fighting for) is essentially freedom, but you yourself are not free and are only a slave to some unknown power.

Gman implies that he will choose one of the "offers" himself. He just reminds you that you have no choice in the matter. It also seems while Gman also is employed by other people (or not), he is playing a game of his own. Choosing the offers that coinside with his interests or views or whatever it is that motivates him.

You really dont even know who's interrest your accomplishments serve. You think you are fighting for freedom of Earth, but there seems to be another game going on behind the scenes.

Billieboyboyboy said:
For someone who is believed to be an alien, the G-man is a very eloquent being.
Vortigaunts aren't doing too badly either :)

The colors! omg the colors, I can't stand the colorssss :rolling:

i took this as a bit of sarcasm. usually the phrase "arbitrary imposition" has a negative connotation....like the united states arbitrarily imposing its beliefs onto the iraqi people, for example. but since the gman is saving gordon from certain death, it couldn't be too bad, could it?

and why should the gman be SORRY for "arbitrarily imposing" himself to save you from having your molecules rearranged by a crazy interdimensional explosion?

A refreshingly credible interpretation of pure fact. Sticks to the text and doesn't take it in unrealistic directions.

Just to get a few of my own beliefs off my chest:

G Man is clearly representing someone else, always has been. He's not acting to serve his own interests, he's a representative.

Frankly, it seems like you work for an organisation of some sort that the G Man is involved with and are just being used as a tool when something happens that might interfere with their plans.

It's all a bit too Quantum Leap for my liking...

[...]and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until...

someone offered me enough to release you from the sleep, so you could prove your skills again by saving the world.

[he hesitates] well, let's just say your hour has come again.
------------------------------------------------------------
G-man has total control over Gordon right? he is "selling" Gordon's skills to the highest bidder right?
Barney, Alyx, Kleiner were expecting Gordon right?
So how do you think, why were they expecting him?

Maybe because they payed him in some way, then G-man gave the Gordon to them?

By the way where was gordon for the last 10 years? frozen in time? dunno who, i think it's eli, says something about he's like as when they meet i think... gotta do the game again! (oh bummer :p)

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

I think that this line is quite significant in that the G-Man never asks you to do anything and indeed he never tells you, he just puts you in a situation knowing how you'll react and that his unknown bidding will be done.

Also this is probably a reference to the fact that the world is how it is due in part to your actions 10 years previously.

I'd very much like to read more about the 7 hour war between the aliens and the earth as seen on the noticeboard in Dr Vance's lab. Has anyone seen any other references to this in the game. I have been looking quite closely but haven't seen anything.

SupaKoopa said:
and why should the gman be SORRY for "arbitrarily imposing" himself to save you from having your molecules rearranged by a crazy interdimensional explosion?

Perhaps dying in the explosion would be preferable to Gordon, had he known the next assignment like Gman seems to.

Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise... and shine. Not that I wish... to imply you have been sleeping on the job. Noone is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until...

To me, this sounds like the entire world has been trying to find Gordon. The *All the effort in the world would have gone to waste* part gives me the impression that the resistance/Alyx/Eli/Kleiner where all hunting for Gordon. And eventually found him via the G-Man. I'm starting to get the impression that the G-Man was observing people at Black Mesa, hunting for people that could adapt to situations quickly. Either that, or Gordon was created for the sole purpose of being a super soldier. Who knows? Only Valve does, I guess we will all find out in HL3.

Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise... and shine. Not that I wish... to imply you have been sleeping on the job. Noone is more deserving of a rest, and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until...
i think what he is saying is that even if he (gordon) were involved in the action, it would have taken untill this time before anything of significance would of happened.

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
I think this is referring to him putting you into the current situation, where you end up being the right man at the wrong time.

Back