Gordon's HEV suit and EP3

H

hugo

So I was remembering one of hl1's last chapters about Gordon's only way out through a freezer and a fellow scientist explaining how his HEV suit was vulnerable to cold and frostbite..... Gordon rushes out as the HEV suit gets damage....

Will valve bother to bring this up in ep3? Knowing that he will go through the similar conditions...

So I was remembering one of hl1's last chapters about Gordon's only way out through a freezer and a fellow scientist explaining how his HEV suit was vulnerable to cold and frostbite..... Gordon rushes out as the HEV suit gets damage....

Will valve bother to bring this up in ep3? Knowing that he will go through the similar conditions...

Possible but remember, the HEV suit he wore in HL1 was the Mark IV. The one in HL2 is the Mark V. So they could always say that the new version is resistant to the cold.

It was also EXTREME cold that sapped his suit. Much colder than normal temperatures, even those that can be found in the arctic. That area was the coolant center for an entire research facility.

They could also say they upgraded his suit before he left white forest.

What i want to know is, how was the Torch Battery and Power to His suit seperated between EP1 and EP2

In EP1 the torch and suit batteries were connected, in EP2 there are seperate. What happned Kleiner came alon and fixed it when Gordon was out cold? hmm.

What i want to know is, how was the Torch Battery and Power to His suit seperated between EP1 and EP2

In EP1 the torch and suit batteries were connected, in EP2 there are seperate. What happned Kleiner came alon and fixed it when Gordon was out cold? hmm.

If you go through all the Dev commentary during the game, they say the suit was damage to make it do that. But I thick it should have been like that since HL2, it just didn't make sense they way it was before.

The flashlight is probably the single weakest thing about the Half-Life series as a whole. They have a zero-point energy field manipulator, for pete's sake, but they can't make a flashlight stay lit more than two minutes.

Really, you'd be better equipped with an oil lamp.

I noticed Episode One's flashlight was much longer than in Half Life or Half Life 2.

When the HEV suit is offlined in massive explosions / after significant trauma, it automatically reboots and checks for updates in firmware. Kliener had programmed new power management systems (and some HUD updates) when it became clear that Freeman would be working for quite some time in the dark, and these were remotely uploaded to the suit after the train crash. This same crash also knocked out access to Gordon's Episode One weapon loadout, save for the Gravity Gun, which was in Freeman's hands at the time of the crash.

Yes I made it up, though it's kind of feasible :p

In the commentary, they mention that player is supposed to assume that the "upgrade" came about as a result of the train crash. Pretty half-assed explanation(did the flashlight sprout its own power source or something?) if you ask me.

When the HEV suit is offlined in massive explosions / after significant trauma, it automatically reboots and checks for updates in firmware. Kliener had programmed new power management systems (and some HUD updates) when it became clear that Freeman would be working for quite some time in the dark, and these were remotely uploaded to the suit after the train crash. This same crash also knocked out access to Gordon's Episode One weapon loadout, save for the Gravity Gun, which was in Freeman's hands at the time of the crash.

Yes I made it up, though it's kind of feasible :p

... That's not a bad theory. :D

It would have been more believable if they just retrofitted the new HUD and battery system in HL2 and EP1 and just said "It's been like this since the beginning, nothing to see here." instead of "Oh yeah it got knocked around and then the flashlight became sentient and decided it was crappy and inefficient so it modified itself and HEV suit."

I wished that was the case for the older games, since sprinting around only to find out your flashlight was dead was annoying as heck. The problem is that in Episode 1 they made a huge deal about the limits of your flashlight and your reliance on Alyx.

I'm just happy that the new system allows you to liberally use the flashlight (like in HL1 were there was no sprint function and you had a fast default speed) without the usual hassles. The lack of proper implementation into the story is a shame though.

I think what should of been the excuse is 'Yeah alyx modified it for Gordon in order to help you get to WF because of the trouble in EP1' ether way the crash would have disabled e torch not turned it into a new cosmetic for your suit.

Pretty half-assed explanation(did the flashlight sprout its own power source or something?) if you ask me.
Yea thats what I thought, especially when you have a Vortigaunt with crazy energy powers right next to you. Something as simple as, "The Freeman will require a more adequate power source for navigating the Anlion hive. Zapppp.", would have been better - you could even have the effect run out depending upon the needs of Episode Three.

What I never understood was how the Vorts kick started those generators... I mean, wouldn't there be a start switch somewhere? I mean, if it were out of gasthats one thing but a vort charge wouldn't keep the generator running unless he kept charging it constantly.

he could have a heater in his jacket,:p like the one in cars
or the new suit is strong against coolnes

Now the torch and AUX is split, the suit is just fine as it is. Though i would like a PEZ despencer please Valve.

Back