Half-Life 2 and Farcry, A Comparison

lol yeah but it had some really nice fire fights...but at least the story line had a conclusion (sorry low blow).

A few things:
-Minerel is an idiot
-Level design and Lighting should have gone to Far Cry
-Minerel: Just "tap" your car into a tree and tell me if it takes "damage"....

lol yeah but it had some really nice fire fights...but at least the story line had a conclusion (sorry low blow).

Yeah right :hmph: Anyhoo, a nice game if not perfect, but I just like HL2 better :thumbs:

Well, you can't really complain about FarCry's story. It was pretty obvious that it was intended to be stupid and corny

Not bad, i agree with most of it, if not all of it, but when it comes down to it, its simply a matter of opinion in the long run.

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
Well, you can't really complain about FarCry's story. It was pretty obvious that it was intended to be stupid and corny

How come?

Is this the same reason I can't complain about Alien vs. Predator? Because it was "meant" to be stupid?
Whether or not FarCry intended to have an atrocious storyline is besides the point. If they did, good for them; the succeeded. If not, sucks for them. Either way the story sucked ass and the laughable voice acting didn't do anything to help.

Although the game is pretty fun, besides the sluggish controls.

destrukt said:
i'm curious, do you cry every time someone doesn't like what you say ? did you expect everyone on here to say "wow man, awesome comparsion, you got 100%!!!111eonmeoneonelevleln."

if you can't handle someone not liking your opinion, maybe you should leave. threads are here to discuss what the topic is, as i did.

i dislike it, get over it, no need to be pathetic and use a creative insult.

my grammar was fine by the way or would you be kind enough to point out what was wrong.

I apologize, I forgot you can't read. I did not cry at all, in fact I got a good laugh out of your stupidity. I also couldn't give two shats about you disagreeing with me. But the fact that you said it was a bad comparison for no reason, is just ridiculous. Can you give me a reason? Other than you disagreeing with me of course, seeing that wouldn't affect the comparison. So really, what it comes down to is that you had a problem with what, the structure? Nice job idiot.

DreadLord1337 said:
...but its also serving as my comparison for Web Design class tomorrow...
DreadLord1337 said:
...The thing is 4 pages single spaced 10 font in Word...

If it was for web design, shouldn't you have written it in HTML?

(I know I'm old fashioned, but no-one seems to know HTML anymore. I blame Dreamweaver for being the first app that wrote half decent HTML...)

/shuffles off muttering about the "good old days"

Duncan said:
If it was for web design, shouldn't you have written it in HTML?

(I know I'm old fashioned, but no-one seems to know HTML anymore. I blame Dreamweaver for being the first app that wrote half decent HTML...)

/shuffles off muttering about the "good old days"

No it is the content for the website we made in class today, so i typed it in word. Trust me, i know HTML better than english, and scarcely use dreamweaver.

Just to spice things up, i think we need a new comparison for HL2 vs. (insert comparison here). i say we start a new thread comparing hl2......to THE REAL WORLD. Not the TV show mind you. Now, while id have to give the lighting design to the real world, i think hl2's level design trumps anything else the real world has to offer. I think both succeed pretty well on multiplayer, and i think its also a toss up for character design. Physics might have to go to half life. any resposnes for discussion??

Nice comparison DreadLord.

I agree with you except lightning (FarCry should been the winner here IMO, very nice lightning effects) and weapon/monster sounds (FarCry do have good sound on the monsters, but the weapon sounds are decent. Half-Life 2 should been the winner here).

A few things:
-Minerel is an idiot
-Level design and Lighting should have gone to Far Cry
-Minerel: Just "tap" your car into a tree and tell me if it takes "damage"....
You know your just pullling yourself down to my level.
Trust me, you can't win if you do that. Yur not experinced enough at my....stupidity of a level.

I expressed the fact that there has been to many threads of these and got bitched at
Just "tap" your car into a tree and tell me if it takes "damage"....
Did.... at the speed I was going not even a dent. Which I guess, as I cannot be exact, would be close to the speed I was going in farcry.

I express my opinons and tad faults in the review, and the fact that these threads are far to many and have been compared far to many times.

I know I'm old fashioned, but no-one seems to know HTML anymore
I know HTML, some Javascript, some php. I use to use an editor..now I can't stand them..not for the last few years. I like nice clean hand written code which I can easily add php in. I use php expert. Write by hand, gives no help just color coding and allows me to test my php offline so it really helps.
I remember the days in which I knew nothing about html and thought all sites had to be created via web builder...

So happy I learned x_X.

I would like to say that I agree that this is a rather unbiased opinon, and a great comparision. Though I still hold my stance that these threads have been done, even unbiased ones a few to many times. I may have over expressed that though. I also think that the nature one still should be taken out or a "City" one quickly added in.

-Minerel is an idiot
No I'm not an idiot. An idiot would have never played HL2, not know what HL2 was, was a true gamer, and would still be wondering what the hell firefox and opera are. He would have also just ponder various forums never staying at one.
That is a true idiot. I do not fit into most of the catagories.. Now school might be a diffrent story but... lets not get into there.

I gotta get back to hitting my head with background images. Must find a nice simple way to scale them. CSS or HTML wont work. I guess I'll just make a low res n high res version. Can javascript change the height and width of a background image? Probably not x_X. Err! Stupid images in tables x_X.(Background image of a table)

we made in class today
heh no HTML classes at our school. I'd think that would be a class I might be able to pass rather easy. Maybe.....

The only thing I will apologize is my over emphaisis on that there are to many threads of comparisions.

I thought it was a pretty good comparison. ;)

I can see where Lighting or Level design could go either way. It depends what you like. Swinging lights in Farcry were great but the outdoor urban scenes were awesome with the evening lighting/shadows in HL2. Linear level design vs Open. Either can be good depending on what you like.

I had some good moments and fights in Far Cry and I really liked the jungle and driving jeeps but just about everything in HL2 was awesome.

Oh and HL2's music was spot on. ;)

Uni-Ball said:
3) The shadows on your gun when you go through a jungle or bush.
I dont think you can really count that last part, because any game engine now-a-days can do that. Ut2003 can do it.
But then again it is something Far Cry did have that Half-Life 2 didn't. But Half-Life 2 didn't need it...so....i think it probably shouldn't be counted. But HL2 did need dynamic lighting and shadowing

i have all those games that have been mentioned.

personally i think farcry although it has some good graphics the gameplay and everything else is totally rubbish and boring, a cheap remake/clone of a half-life style game boring boring boring, i have only layed it once and not bothered with it since.

i would rather play the original half-life again for a more exitin experience, i can do without vehicles, give me aa game with "substance" HL1 actually has "substance".

hl2 is not as good as it could have been.

DreadLord1337 said:
I apologize, I forgot you can't read. I did not cry at all, in fact I got a good laugh out of your stupidity. I also couldn't give two shats about you disagreeing with me. But the fact that you said it was a bad comparison for no reason, is just ridiculous. Can you give me a reason? Other than you disagreeing with me of course, seeing that wouldn't affect the comparison. So really, what it comes down to is that you had a problem with what, the structure? Nice job idiot.

What is your problem ? Someone thinks you wrote a bad comparison, accept it and get over it and stop using childish insults.

If someone writes a book and someone says they think it's 'bad,' what do you think they're getting at ? the line spacing, the headers of the chapters ? no, it's generally the actually content.

thanks for ignoring the other points (y)

DreadLord, you're being an ass. Seriously. He DID just post his opinion, and you flamed him. I hate it when people have bad grammar too, but come on man.

I dunno the thing that Far Cry does have is potential. And I'm really not sure anyone can dispute that. And also considering its a studios first game and engine so we can at least Crytek some credit.

Far Cry was not as good as it could've been. The plot and voice acting, for example, should be improved by a mile. :hmph:

lol yeah, but it(farcry) did bring some cool stuff to the stagnant FPS genre, it perfectly blended stealth with run and gun so that the player could actuallly choose what they want to do for a particular situation. Binoculars and the radar tag system was nice and cool, but HL2 has waaaaaay more "HELL YEAH" moments, something that every action game needs and farcry really didnt deliver that too well.

Uni-Ball said:
lol yeah, but it(farcry) did bring some cool stuff to the stagnant FPS genre, it perfectly blended stealth with run and gun so that the player could actuallly choose what they want to do for a particular situation. Binoculars and the radar tag system was nice and cool, but HL2 has waaaaaay more "HELL YEAH" moments, something that every action game needs and farcry really didnt deliver that too well.

Couldn't agree more :bounce:

bam23 said:
I think FarCry should've taken the lighting.

Same FarCry has far more advanced lighting. Im sure source can also just wasnted added for hl2.

Hl2 and FarCry are both very good games. I would say HL2 takes the win tho.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Same FarCry has far more advanced lighting. Im sure source can also just wasnted added for hl2.

But it isn't Far Cry vs. Source, it's Far Cry vs. HL2. :thumbs:

similar to what i said before, even though Farcry has an excellent graphics engine, and it does, it still is low on plot/storyline, effects ,thrills, and its enemies are not convinving either.

in short, its a far cry from a good game.

:sleep:

Far Cry is hella unbalanced. Its difficulty varies wildly from one enemy encounter to the next, partly because of the game's open environments but also because of deliberate design decisions on the part of the development team (rocket-launcher snipers!), making it impossible for Far Cry to achieve any sense of "flow". It was not at all unusual for a really cool moment to be immediately followed by a really shitty one which made it difficult to want to keep playing. Too often it felt like the developers were trying to beat me instead of entertain me, and that's not a good feeling to have when playing a game. The lack of any kind of manual save only added insult to injury.

I thought that getting a new graphics card would help me get a chance to play through Far Cry again (6600 GT :E)...but even with HDR it doesnt make any difference, the gameplay still bores me.

And the AI is just weird. Throughout the whole first level i could kill everyone with a knife. I could stand there as they shot at me, point blank, and they'd miss me with every single shot. Whats up with that?

Mountain Man said:
Far Cry is hella unbalanced. Its difficulty varies wildly from one enemy encounter to the next, partly because of the game's open environments but also because of deliberate design decisions on the part of the development team (rocket-launcher snipers!), making it impossible for Far Cry to achieve any sense of "flow". It was not at all unusual for a really cool moment to be immediately followed by a really shitty one which made it difficult to want to keep playing. Too often it felt like the developers were trying to beat me instead of entertain me, and that's not a good feeling to have when playing a game. The lack of any kind of manual save only added insult to injury.

I agree.
I got to the bit where you climb up to an old fort... Pick up a rocket launcher & got creamed repeatedly!
so I gave up :(

I got a manual with FarCry :p

Back