Half-Life 2 and Farcry, A Comparison

D

DreadLord

There are countless threads comparing games like HL2, Farcry, and Doom3. The majority of them get flamed to hell and closed / deleted. I wanted to write this because I think it’s important to compare the two fairly (based on what is MY opinion) rather than just saying one is better than the other. I suppose I’ll get plenty of people who disagree with me, and that is perfectly fine, and your right, but please don’t flame me. I’m doing this in as professional a manner as possible, and would like the same from you. This is also a comparison of just the straight package you get with the two games, this will NOT include potential mods, or the capabilities of the Source or Cry engines. For HL2 this includes the single player chapters, CS:Source, and HL2:Deathmatch. For Farcry this includes the single player campaign, and the stock multiplayer mode. Now on to the topic!

GRAPHICS
Seems like a logical place to start comparing two games released around the same time. Both have amazing graphics, and have separate qualities that make them shine. Neither game has a clear sweep over the graphics in my opinion, so I’ll break the section up. I should note that both games are run on the HIGHEST possible settings to be fair.

WATER
I admit, a random place to start, but it seems clear that both have advanced water effects, and seeing Farcry takes place on a friggen island, I think we can assume water is a big part. Generally half the map in Farcry is covered in water, and at many times throughout the game, you are either swimming, or driving a boat/raft. Half-Life 2 has water in certain chapters, and one entire chapter takes place on (well I suppose it’s really green waste?) a watery type liquid (Route Kanal). Half-Life 2’s water looks incredibly realistic, I could stand there for 30 minutes just tossing boxes in the water and watching the splashes. The reflections (set to reflect all) are amazing on their own, and give an eerie effect to say the least. Farcry’s water looks excellent in it’s own way. The reflections aren’t as special, and the splashes certainly don’t look nearly as good. Nonetheless the water looks good while you are driving a boat, or as you’re running along the beach. The Farcry water also doesn’t seem to drop FPS as much as the HL2 water does. One other excellent part related to Farcry’s water is the fact that you’re arms actually swim in Farcry, where as in HL2, you swim holding your weapon no different than usual. The sheer quality of Half-Life 2’s water makes me choose HL2 as the winner for this section.
Winner: Half-Life 2

WEAPON / PLAYER MODELS & TEXTURES
Something you simply can’t forget in a game. The models and textures you see most are those of the weapons in your hands, and the enemy and friendly player models. In HL2 your weapons are very nicely textured, and the models fit the screen quite nicely. The player models are insanely high quality and look as realistic as you can possibly imagine. The facial animations in HL2 surpass those of any game I’ve ever played (A lot of movies I’ve seen too!). Just watching the G-man talk in the opening sequence had me hooked. Farcry’s weapon models aren’t quite as detailed or well textured, and are actually quite large on your screen as to block your field of vision. They are nice models nonetheless, and certainly get the job done. The player model’s for the enemy were great, I’d say just as good as the Combine from HL2. On the other side, the Trigen just can’t come close to the fast zombies. Farcry wins a few parts in animation, but HL2 clearly sweeps this section, highly detailed models and textures throughout the game.

PLANT / ANIMAL LIFE AND OTHER NATURAL SURROUNDINGS
I suppose Farcry naturally has the upper hand in this section, due to it being set in the wild. Farcry’s maps are truly brought together by the trees, bushes, grass, and other natural surroundings. The island is insanely immersive in this aspect While walking in the jungle, you really get the sense of being lost, and just trying to get to your next objective. The grass and bushes can provide ample cover from enemies (especially in MP). In HL2 the only real time you see the outside world is the Highway 17 area. The beaches look quite good, but then again it’s sand. The grass looks good on the few parts where it is. The CS:Source map de_aztec looks stunning, especially when compared to the 1.6 version of it. I think Farcry is the clear winner of this section, the wild has never looked better!
Winner: Farcry

LIGHTING
This is a tough category, neither game focuses on lighting nearly as much as a game like Doom 3 does. Both have their good spots, but it’s still something hard to decide. Half-Life 2 has excellent lighting in Ravenholm. The effects of the fire, and the darkness really contributes to the immersion and creepiness. Flashlights also looked surprisingly realistic, with the rays actually coming out of the player model now, rather than just lighting up the targeted spot that we were all too familiar with in HL1. In CS:Source, it’s truly fun to use the flashlights, seeing you can see each other’s so well. The shadows are quite well done if you have them set to high. Farcry’s lighting effects are rarely seen, as the vast majority of the game is full bright day time. The lighting in the offices when you first discover the Trigen certainly sets the stage for you. The lights and shadows made me feel like I was back in the office building in Dino Crisis on my Playstation (that‘s a good thing immersion wise). Another cool, but sort of overly used effect in Farcry is that the sun can reflect off weapon scopes, or shiny objects. You have to make sure in multiplayer to not snipe facing the sun, or a glaring light will be going across the map straight off your scope. Neither of the games have the most elite lighting, but HL2 wins out just barely for me.

VEHICLE MODELS & TEXTURES
Another tough one. Farcry has a larger arsenal of vehicles. There are boats, hummers, jeeps, etc.. All of them have quite high quality models, and certainly look like their real life counterparts. HL2 has the buggy and airboat, along with the Combine APC and gunships. I thought the buggy looked like it had taken about an hour to make and they just stopped. Due to the model being unusually low quality by VALVe, the texture was nothing too special. The airboat was decent, but not exactly top notch, especially for something that you drive for an entire chapter. HL2’s vehicular strong points are the gunships. These massive behemoths are as high quality as you would expect something that YOU would drive to be. Blowing one of these things up is fun enough, but to see the sheer brilliance of the model and texture up close is awesome. I have to give this one to Farcry, the buggy and airboat models upset me too much. While the gunships are awesome, they can’t win this one for HL2.

Overall Graphics: Half-Life 2

GAMEPLAY
Probably the most important part of any game. Gameplay is the reason the HL series lasted so long, even though it was graphically inferior. Both games have some excellent spots, but we need a clear winner!

VEHICLES
Well, seeing we just ended the part about the vehicle’s looks in both games, I suppose we can start with the driving of them. In Half-Life 2 the vehicles had very simple controls which made me quite happy, as I hate games that make you master driving and fighting all at the same time. The airboat is a bit of a bore until you get the gun mounted on it. It handle’s quite well, and certainly makes taking down gunships fun. The buggy part could have been more fun if the main objective wasn’t to run the living hell out of the antlions, by crushing them like beastly bugs. The weapon on the buggy is no where near as effective as it should be in my opinion. It works well against antlions, but taking on Combine with that gun, won’t do crap. In Farcry you get a buggy right off the start pretty much. When you first get in, it looks quite nice, and you start it up, soon to realize that this vehicle, combined with this terrain is perfect. The hills and wilderness of Farcry make the vehicles that much more fun than HL2’s. In Farcry you can go wherever you want, endless possibilities. The handling is as realistic as it gets, and the damage is a nice little effect. The weapons are switchable between rockets and machine gun on the hummers. The raft feels like you’re actually on the water as it bounces up and down on the waves and it just feels like you’re there. I give this one a clear victory to Farcry.

LEVEL LAYOUT
Half-Life 2 takes you through an unbelievable amount of different environments. It shows you war torn cities, zombie infested towns, and the outskirts of the world (as they know it) where large bugs beat the crap out of you! Farcry’s levels are MASSIVE and have almost no loading times. You can explore all you want, and it has the least linear gameplay I’ve ever seen in a FPS. Farcry will give you an objective, and you have to think about how you want to get there, and how you want to use the terrain and surroundings to your advantage. Sometimes it seems like the levels are endless, as you go from path to path through the wilderness in your buggy, trying to find your way, all the while being attacked by mercenaries. Half-Life 2 is littered with loading times, but rightfully so. City17 alone is absolutely amazing. The way the enemies are placed, feels like there is a reason for it, rather than Farcry’s seemingly randomly generated enemies. The physics will constantly be put to the test, as will you in the physics puzzles. Buildings cover the entire horizon, making it feel like you are in an endless city, and just trying to find the quickest way out. Half-Life 2 gets a clear victory over Farcry in this category, despite Farcry’s amazingly large levels.

PHYSICS
Hmm I wonder who could win this one, or if it’s even worth writing. Well here we go. The source engine quite possibly amazed me the most with the physics. The way things are so life like, really made HL2 as advanced as it was. Entering the train station you can pick up Chinese food cartons, and suitcases. I was sold. Right then and there HL2 could have ended, and I would have been happy. The way they just fell and bounced to a stop realistically was just utterly amazing. Then I discovered that you could toss things at the Combine’s head. Well, this kept me entertained for hours. Quite possibly, the longest time spent by anyone on point insertion on that glorious day of November 17th. Farcry has more advanced physics than a lot of games, but lets be honest folks, they don’t compare. HL2’s rag dolls will keep you entertained for hours, while the rag dolls in Farcry seem to just go stiff in mid air and fall over and clip into the ground a bit. Source beats Cry in this case.

SCRIPTED EVENTS / ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
Both games have some pretty smart AI. The Combine in HL2 particularly amaze me with their radio chatter about the current battle going on. They showed right from the start how superior they are to a lot of other PC games. The friendly AI was something else though. All you heard was “Sorry Gordon” the whole time, as they stepped all over you. They got annoying as hell too, when you would tell them to hide for a second, just to see them bolt across the street and get nailed down by a sniper. The AI in Farcry on medium (note, easy is just ridiculous), is quite good, they respond well, and will attempt to outflank you. They don’t seem to be as smart as the combine, and don’t even get me started on their voices. HL2 really only has one very memorable fighting scripted scene. That is with Dog. Utterly amazing what Dog can do with Source’s physics, tossing APC’s and demolishing Combine. This one is a tough call, as Farcry’s AI really does serve the game well enough, but HL2 squeezes a victory out of me in this category.

Overall Gameplay: Half-Life 2

SOUND
This will certainly be a short section. I can’t stand playing with music so I won’t even delve into that section, as I really wouldn’t be at liberty to say.

WEAPON / MONSTER SOUNDS
The sounds in HL2 are very well done, the SMG sounds just like an SMG, the revolver sounds like a revolver etc. The fast zombies will scare the living hell out of you with their screams, and I know I jumped every time I heard an antlion burrow out of the ground. Farcry’s weapons sound equally good, with the exception of the abysmal deagle, they all sound quite realistic and powerful. The Trigen are scary when they are charging at you with their roars. It’s a tough call, as both games get what they need out of their sounds, so I will declare this one a tie.
Winner: Tie

VOICE ACTING
Oh dear God, anyone who has played both games already knows the outcome of this. Farcry has quite possibly the absolute WORST voice acting I have ever heard in any game. All your base are belong to us, sounds like amazing acting, compared to Jack Carver’s ramblings. The sheer stupidity that is you (Jack Carver) ruins any chance you had at feeling like you were in the game. The enemies say dumbass things like “How about those apples” Or “I’m gonna kill you”. All the while they sound like they are trying out for a high school play, about to get boo’ed off stage. Doyle is quite possibly the only decent one in the game, but he CAN NOT make up for the pain and agony gamers have to face listening to the other crap. Now on to HL2. From the second you start the voices sound realistic as possible. G-man’s muttering will have you hooked. Alyx and Eli’s acting is superb, and makes it look like a 3D movie viewed in the first person. Then you get to see Breen in person. Well if that man didn’t get paid a TON for HL2, then it’s just wrong. He did an excellent job, and going with the already mentioned facial animations, it’s utterly awesome.

Overall Sound: Half-Life 2

STORY
Farcry’s story is very well done. It’s a topic that has been used before, but they did it well, and aside from the terrible acting, it was accomplished amazingly well. Half-Life 2’s storyline follows Half-Life 1’s 10 years later. It is so intricate and detailed that you can’t help but love it. Every moment you are wondering what is going to happen next. I can only compare it to reading a novel, that has a 6 year cliffhanger every time. The story is THE BEST I have ever seen in a game, or movie for that matter. No other game can by discussed in detail, and in depth as HL2 can. These boards are an example of just how much can be speculated and predicted about a story, but only getting something confirmed every great while. Farcry does a great job, but nothing beat’s HL2 in storyline, nothing.

Overall Story: Half-Life 2

Overall Best Game: Half-Life 2

wow how long did it take u to type all tht out?

EDIT: ok now tht i;ve read it...yeh it was a pretty good comparison :thumbs: but did we really need this to know hl2 was the winner?

I think FarCry should've taken the lighting.

in Farcry you can go wherever you want, endless possibilities.
That should have NO INFLUCENCE WITH VEHICLES.

and the damage is a nice little effect.
Yeah...ive only tapped a few things.....and got damage... Tap a tree... I mean really just tap it.... going at very very low speed...woops damage......

PLANT / ANIMAL LIFE AND OTHER NATURAL SURROUNDINGS
I suppose Farcry naturally has the upper hand in this section, due to it being set in the wild. Farcry’s maps are truly brought together by the trees, bushes, grass, and other natural surroundings. The island is insanely immersive in this aspect While walking in the jungle, you really get the sense of being lost, and just trying to get to your next objective. The grass and bushes can provide ample cover from enemies (especially in MP). In HL2 the only real time you see the outside world is the Highway 17 area. The beaches look quite good, but then again it’s sand. The grass looks good on the few parts where it is. The CS:Source map de_aztec looks stunning, especially when compared to the 1.6 version of it. I think Farcry is the clear winner of this section, the wild has never looked better!
You include that but what about HL2's sorroundings. You don't even have a section for that. There should obviously be a section for HL2 to ya know. Otherwize NO SHIT FARCRY HAS THAT. Sorry for my language, but seriously. Farcry is in a fricken jungle no doubt its gonna rule over HL2 nature.

WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHY PEOPLE THIS FORUM GETS THREADS LIKE THESE NON STOP.
Forums may be a place to share your opinon, but opinon about farcry..hl2..and doom 3.... have all been shared far to many times. I don't mean to be offensive in anything I say but c'mon please keep this one sole opinon to yourself.

B-MAn said:
wow how long did it take u to type all tht out?

About 90 minutes, but its also serving as my comparison for Web Design class tomorrow lol. 2 birds with 90 minutes of rock throwing.

B-MAn said:
EDIT: ok now tht i;ve read it...yeh it was a pretty good comparison :thumbs: but did we really need this to know hl2 was the winner?

Probably not..

I played Far cry in Russian, the voice acting was an incredible upgrade ((Cuse the people voicing it just did everything as it was, everyone was gruff and rough. It made sense and sounded real cool)) It made me enjoy it way more than others did. Though I still haven't finished it >.<

Minerel said:
That should have NO INFLUCENCE WITH VEHICLES.

Why not? The restrictions placed on the vehicles in the Singleplayer campaigns certainly have an influence on how much fun the vehicles are to use.

Minerel said:
Yeah...ive only tapped a few things.....and got damage... Tap a tree... I mean really just tap it.... going at very very low speed...woops damage......

So you would prefer absolutely invincible vehicles?

Minerel said:
You include that but what about HL2's sorroundings. You don't even have a section for that. There should obviously be a section for HL2 to ya know. Otherwize NO SHIT FARCRY HAS THAT. Sorry for my language, but seriously. Farcry is in a fricken jungle no doubt its gonna rule over HL2 nature.

Sorry didnt know i was getting payed for doing this, for christ's sake an error, deal with it. You get the point, its not supposed to be a masterpiece.

Minerel said:
WILL SOMEONE TELL ME WHY PEOPLE THIS FORUM GETS THREADS LIKE THESE NON STOP.
Forums may be a place to share your opinon, but opinon about farcry..hl2..and doom 3.... have all been shared far to many times. I don't mean to be offensive in anything I say but c'mon please keep this one sole opinon to yourself.

When you stop being an asshole about it, and flaming everyone who brings it up. I guarantee you, if you could find the first thread with a comparison, people were flamed to hell for it. Quiet now, k thnx.

Why not? The restrictions placed on the vehicles in the Singleplayer campaigns certainly have an influence on how much fun the vehicles are to use.
Well choose gameplay, or vehicles. Don't use them in both...please..

I'd prefer vehicles that act realistcally to damage if they take damage.

Sorry didnt know i was getting payed for doing this, for christ's sake an error, deal with it. You get the point, its not supposed to be a masterpiece.
I seen a very very pointless thing so I express it out to you. What si wrong with that?

When you stop being an asshole about it, and flaming everyone who brings it up. I guarantee you, if you could find the first thread with a comparison, people were flamed to hell for it. Quiet now, k thnx.
Wow... I rarley flame these....other people usually do it.. I am just getting REALLY sick of seeing them. If you read that correctly, I am saying that these comaprisons between HL2 vs Farcry or HL2 Vs Doom 3 or etc.. have gone on far to long. I wouldn't care about the first one. I would care to the fact that if that thread kept on getting repeated 1,000 times.

If I was an asshole..oohh I would have been alot worse....I would have brought alot more things up....ALOT MORE.
-------------------------------
If a man killed someone would you let him keep on doing it? He kept on killing tons of people. You could stop him in an instant. He killled people you loved and everybody. Would you get pissed off eventually? The first time..its somebody you don't know...you might let it go. The second time... well maybe..
The 1,000 time... TIME TO DIE SUCKER YOU KILLED MY LOVED ONE!
You get the picture of what I am getting at?
You get what i was pointing at it all?
You get that these threads are just sooo annoying.

Minerel said:
You get that these threads are just sooo annoying.

THEN DONT FRICKEN READ THEM, THEY ARE LABELED QUITE OBVIOUSLY, AND THIS IS THE FIRST THREAD I HAVE SEEN THAT ACTUALLY TAKES THE TIME TO COMPARE.

/caps lock

THEN DONT FRICKEN READ THEM, THEY ARE LABELED QUITE OBVIOUSLY, AND THIS IS THE FIRST THREAD I HAVE SEEN THAT ACTUALLY TAKES THE TIME TO COMPARE.
Calm down.
Think of it like this.
You own a restraunt
You come there and every day the dishes are clean.
One day you notice the dishes arn't clean.
You guess they will be clean tommarow.
They arn't..
*1000 Days Later*
You get so mad you can't hold it in anymore but to tell the dish people to get up and wash the dishes!

You get where im coming from?
You just see so many of these threads that you just can't hold it in anymore.

No this isn't the first thread that takes the time to compare.
There have been many more just as sophisticated than yours. Some comparing the tech level of Doom 3 vs HL2, some comparing all 3 games, etc.. 30% of them are somewhat sophisticated.

Minerel said:
Calm down.
Think of it like this.
You own a restraunt
You come there and every day the dishes are clean.
One day you notice the dishes arn't clean.
You guess they will be clean tommarow.
They arn't..
*1000 Days Later*
You get so mad you can't hold it in anymore but to tell the dish people to get up and wash the dishes!

You get where im coming from?
You just see so many of these threads that you just can't hold it in anymore.

No this isn't the first thread that takes the time to compare.
There have been many more just as sophisticated than yours. Some comparing the tech level of Doom 3 vs HL2, some comparing all 3 games, etc.. 30% of them are somewhat sophisticated.

Then why bash other people? why not just ignore the thread? there arent that many, so fricken hold it in, rather than being an ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerel

Well, actually, even if you don't like Minerel's attitude, you shouldn't be so biased about this one. It should've been more like HL2's.

Jack doesn't put on his seat belt, but we shouldn't suffer for that. I wonder how is it for him to have a car accident in mid-town.

Keep away from these threads, minerel. I swear to you, it's really not that difficult. It's not like they're so many that you can't see the other threads unless you search for them.

Except this isn't like every other thread. Minerel, please, you tell him to calm down and you openly admit you're totaly enthrailed with angst. Pffft?

Dread, I agree with everything other than the textures. Far Cry has like...leet shaders.

Then why bash other people? why not just ignore the thread? there arent that many, so fricken hold it in, rather than being an ass.
I gave a perfectly good example why!

Keep away from these threads, minerel. I swear to you, it's really not that difficult. It's not like they're so many that you can't see the other threads unless you search for them.
Im on here many times a day. There are 2(From what i can see) in what i can see now..

. Minerel, please, you tell him to calm down and you openly admit you're totaly enthrailed with angst. Pffft?
There was no need for his caps.

Keep away from these threads, minerel.
If you would read my 2nd example you would of never EVER had to say that.

Why couldn't this be posted in a thread that was already comparing them. Which there was one before this.

Wow. i was thinking of posting about this topic earlier today, posting being something i rarely do. but ive definately had my doubts now. I hadnt played Far Cry but i was intrigued by it after reading another post along these same lines. For me, i dont mind comparison threads. I mean it is a general forum and forum are there to express and discuss ideas and opinions. Anyway, i went out and bought far cry just to see what all the fuss was about and discovered a generaly good game. well, appart from the voice acting. (Im an actor so it pains me even more lol). anyway, i was going to make a joke/fun post saying we need to petition the makers of the Cryengine, source and the D3 engine to get together and put all of these features into one bad ass game. Of course that wouldnt happen. but my meaning is to say that all of these engines poses great qualities, and drawbacks in many areas. it seems just silly to hold one above all of the others. I think half life generally does better on the whole engine wise than the other two engines but each has really good qualities they excel in. Oh well. counting the minutes down till i get flamed too.

Stop bashing on Dreadlord, I very much liked that comparison and is 100x better then any other stupid comparisons done on these forums. Thank you for this thread Dreadlord, atleast you have one fan. lol And it was very professionally done and enjoyed reading it.

oh. i forgot to post, hey, at least we dont have to complain or worry about the Breed engine. has anyone played that POS? well, i guess for the nine dollars i spent on it......wait, that was still to much. i could have bought a couple of packs of cigs which would have been more enjoyable and lasted longer

Can you both shut up?
It's starting to stink worse than a fishery. Point is, HL2 rules, Far cry is good. And threads like these are cluttering up the forum for no reason.

Minerel said:
Why couldn't this be posted in a thread that was already comparing them. Which there was one before this.

The thing is 4 pages single spaced 10 font in Word.. do you honestly think that works as a reply rather than a new topic? I took 90 minutes writing this.. I think it deserves its own thread.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Lighting and level design should have gone to Far Cry hands down in my opinion. And water should have been a tie. (Also in my opinion.)

Top Secret said:
Lighting and level design should have gone to Far Cry hands down in my opinion. And water should have been a tie. (Also in my opinion.)
Yeah the level design should've gone to Far Cry.

As for the lighting, Far Cry's is more advanced but Half-Life 2's lighting is used so well to capture to the mood. I'd go with Half-Life 2 (mainly because its artistic and i'm an artist)

Far Cry's level design was more or less the same thing, level after level after level - lots of islands that you have to assault and kill people in. At least HL2 had some variation, although it was terribly linear.

LEVEL LAYOUT - Hl2 .. yes, linear is fun.

anyway, quite a bad comparison i would say.

Top Secret said:
Lighting and level design should have gone to Far Cry hands down in my opinion.
I agree on everything except these two, both of which I would have given to Far Cry also.

The lighting I guess I can understand, its technically better in far cry but probably isnt utilised enough (shoot a light on a rope so it bobs around in a dark room, beats anything HL2 had for sure) but then artisticlly Hl2 MAY have used it better. anyhow still think Far Cry deserved it.

As for level design definetly Far Cry for me, Im a sucker for the open spaces. Far Crys level design also helped the gameplay by allowing multiple solutions to the one problem (do i charge in, snipe or just sneak past), whereoust HL2 generally lacked this element unfortunatly.

All in all good comparison, both are supurb games.

PS. YOu didnt compare multiplayer components, you should have and you mentioned those in the intro but they werent brought up again. I think we know what game would get it anyway, but I'm unsure if you just overlooked it after saying you would look at it.

I agree with pretty much everything (I skimmed some).

good job.

whats Farcray ?! no.. i think FarCry has the Jungle... Half-Life 2 has the Physics...

Well it's refreshing to read an unbiased comparison. I'm not saying it's here, but generally a lot of people tend to overglorify HL2 and not even care about other games when it goes into comparison. I myself thought the world of Far Cry was incredibly immersive. However, I also like the world of Half-Life 2. In terms of graphics I guess they can be compared, but in terms of environment, no. If HL2 decides to include an island area, then maybe. But both are good games, and each excel in their own areas.

Oh, and to Minstrel, leave the guy alone. You made your point, he made his. No need to carry it on further. Everybody has a right to post their own opinions on these forums. If you dont like it, then dont read it.

I liked how you backed up you opinion pretty well though I would question the 'parts' you broke the games down into. For example I didn't really think Water deserved its own section under 'Graphics' while you don't mention artistic design of the game or animation. Likewise I thought ambient sound and music would have been categories in 'Sound' and that 'Story' could have been broken farther into Writing, Acting, Storytelling, Variety, Immersion/Believability etc.

Then again, that is just my opinion on how games should be broken down and even then, I haven't thought about it much and chances are someone could criticize how I would do it. On the actual content of the comparison I thought it was done very well and shows that reason has been put into the evaluation, not just bias. It's a good write-up because anyone who reads it and wants to argue against it immediately realizes themselves as not necessarily 'right', but just of a different opinion; then they actually have to think about their own reasoning-- which isn't as common a habit as it should be.

destrukt said:
anyway, quite a bad comparison i would say.

Thanks, judging by your utterly atrocious grammar, I'll take that as a compliment, seeing you are clrearly 5. Leave.

Smigit said:
PS. YOu didnt compare multiplayer components, you should have and you mentioned those in the intro but they werent brought up again. I think we know what game would get it anyway, but I'm unsure if you just overlooked it after saying you would look at it.

Yea i know, I had a limit on the assignement of 4 pages so i stopped, then i considered writing it just for here.. but when you compare HL2DM + CSS to Farcry's glitchy multiplayer... it's quite obvious who wins, thanks for the comments.

Lanthanide said:
Far Cry's level design was more or less the same thing, level after level after level - lots of islands that you have to assault and kill people in. At least HL2 had some variation, although it was terribly linear.

Exactly the reason i gave it to HL2. He makes a good point.. In HL2 you go through an insane variety of evironments. While Farcry's vast levels are nice, they're all the same.

Thanks for the comments guys.

DreadLord1337 said:
Thanks, judging by your utterly atrocious grammar, I'll take that as a compliment, seeing you are clrearly 5. Leave.

i'm curious, do you cry every time someone doesn't like what you say ? did you expect everyone on here to say "wow man, awesome comparsion, you got 100%!!!111eonmeoneonelevleln."

if you can't handle someone not liking your opinion, maybe you should leave. threads are here to discuss what the topic is, as i did.

i dislike it, get over it, no need to be pathetic and use a creative insult.

my grammar was fine by the way or would you be kind enough to point out what was wrong.

Very nice. I can agree with you in almost everything, I would just say that HL2 has way better weapon and monster sounds. In Far Cry all the weapons just sound a bit too lame and you cant beat HL2's screaming zombies and strider whistling.

Farcry had more variation then just a jungle. Science labs, warehouse, treetop village, volcano, airport, and the ship. It is not at the same level as half life 2 but its more than you are giving it credit for. Also, the lighting in Farcry is way better than HL2: 1)Shadows dynamically affect smoke by creating "light hazes" 2) Dynamic shadows that HL2 doesnt have (were shadows are realistically cast by light sources) 3) The shadows on your gun when you go through a jungle or bush.

Far Cry is just a case of eye-candy exploitation that has the storyline an equivalent to a bad James Bond movie. Secret base of uber-crazy villain in a volcano!!! OoooOOOooo :O

Back