Half-Life 2 Android DevTest Maps: ValveTime Spotlight Exclusive

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Following the release of Half-Life 2 on Nvidia SHIELD yesterday, a number of previously unseen developer test levels were found within the game files of the Android port. These maps were likely used by Nvidia developers to test the capabilities of the Source engine when attempting to find out how titles like Portal or Half-Life 2 would run on an Android platform like Nvidia SHIELD. Let's take a look!

Check out more episodes of this series over in the ValveTime Spotlight playlist! As always, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel and to follow us on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date with all the latest Valve and community news. Thanks for watching.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 5,634
Yeah! It looks great. I might just be interested in getting the shield now.

Yeah! It looks great. I might just be interested in getting the shield now.

Just to note, this content is not officially available on the SHIELD version. It was all taken from the files after accidentally being left in.

For a split second I hoped they'll include some never-seen-yet Half-Life 3 test maps :(

This is a pure testament of what I had already thought of before. When we eventually get to have Steam playing almost any game in most Android mobile devices...then a profound revolution in the gaming world will truly begin.

Just to note, this content is not officially available on the SHIELD version. It was all taken from the files after accidentally being left in.

I know, But it gets me excited about what it can do, and just thinking about it. The shield can play big/long high poly count 3d games. and I mean big as in pokemon 2d games big. And right now were watching the very first steps being taken. Valve is often a pioneer when compared to other triple A budget game makers, For example, Valve complete interest in oculus and VR stuff, or something much simpler like, re-coding all their games over for mac, (for Macbook Plebs like me [All hail PC Master Race]) when there was no need to, and then doing the exact same thing again, for linux! I mean, the Nvidea Shield is literally like the computer games market for Mac and Linux, Many people may not think there even is one, but Valve's willing to find out and port there games over. I forsee other big company game devs putting their exact same games on the shield after watching valve do it, and not suffer any loss. COME ON GUYS!!!! IT'S EXCITING!!!!!! :D

I know, But it gets me excited about what it can do, and just thinking about it. The shield can play big/long high poly count 3d games. and I mean big as in pokemon 2d games big. And right now were watching the very first steps being taken. Valve is often a pioneer when compared to other triple A budget game makers, For example, Valve complete interest in oculus and VR stuff, or something much simpler like, re-coding all their games over for mac, (for Macbook Plebs like me [All hail PC Master Race]) when there was no need to, and then doing the exact same thing again, for linux! I mean, the Nvidea Shield is literally like the computer games market for Mac and Linux, Many people may not think there even is one, but Valve's willing to find out and port there games over. I forsee other big company game devs putting their exact same games on the shield after watching valve do it, and not suffer any loss. COME ON GUYS!!!! IT'S EXCITING!!!!!! :D

Any of the latest phones like the S5 or the upcoming One Plus can play these games as well.

It is interesting to see Half Life 2 and Portal being played on handheld, but lets not forget Portal is almost 7 years old and Half Life will hit 10 soon. And people who have played it report almost constant framerate drops.

I guess the most appealing aspect to the SHIELD is the streaming option, but not for me. Choosing to play games on a 5 inch screen, vs a monitor or a TV in the other room is ludicrous.

I just don't see the excitement as well as you do.

Has noone dug up a hl3 reference in the files somewhere yet?
Darn, even the diggers aren't what they were before... :D

Has noone dug up a hl3 reference in the files somewhere yet?
Darn, even the diggers aren't what they were before... :D

Data miners are as good as they always have been. There is just no reason to explain why files of a basic Android port would feature references to HL3.

Back