Half-Life 2 Multiplayer

h00dlum

Reaction score
As we all know HL2 will include multiplayer support, but Valve has kept their mouth shut about this so far. What do you expect from HL2´s multiplayer?

I look forward to use vehicles in big open outside areas, buckle up som teammates on a truck and go hunting :)

And i wonder how many players HL2 will support..i hope 64 or even more maybe..hehe may lag a little..

whats your expectations, hopes, dreams about HL2 Multiplayer?

I hope it's the same style as the original HL1 Multiplayer. Good ol' deathmatch.

Im sure the multiplayer will be mad fun - think of all the things you can do in those huge levels!

Maybe theres another player limit, set to >64 players.. who knows :)

i want there to be co-op on the single player part of the game....someone can play Alyx :)

I hate DM...i wish there was a teamplay or co-op multi mode...if not then bring on the mods!!

This games gonna 0wn...but its so far away :D, why do people keep hyping my up for hl2 it makes my wait longer!! hehe

well as i remember i only played it twice ...as long as the codes there i dont care cause then people will just be able to mod it up =)

Co-op might be hard to add tho. If anything they will have to make a seperate mod like Svencoop did for hl. Like when gearbox says its hard to add co-op for halo pc. I have no idea whats so hard about it. The good thing is that it probably has a good chance of being added since valve built this engine and they spent 5 years on making the game.

Originally posted by dagz
Co-op might be hard to add tho. If anything they will have to make a seperate mod like Svencoop did for hl. Like when gearbox says its hard to add co-op for halo pc. I have no idea whats so hard about it. The good thing is that it probably has a good chance of being added since valve built this engine and they spent 5 years on making the game.

Hard to add? They made the engine from the ground up, I think they can handle a co-op mode. ;) :cheese:

this is what someone said on the gearbox forums of adding co-op to halo.

In a strange sense the internet is a big interconnected set of LAN's. A LAN in your garage with some friends from school and a simple switch is much faster since there no hops and packets do not need to be routed. In short the average lag time is much less. But the problem with co-op via any network (LAN or Internet) comes from fighting the lag to synchronize for certain cues for scripted events. Halo is so demanding that even using the Xboxes the co-op mode is limited to 2 players on the same machine even though there are 4 player ports and Xboxes can be set up in LAN's. But those Xbox LAN's are only for multi-player non-campaign games so there is no sychronization problem, there is only the ordinary lag problem of multi-player games. To illustrate the problem further even with 2 players on one machine there are certain triggers before loading zones where the player lagging behind is "teleported" to the leader's side so they can both enter the next room together. Now if the second player is lagged out, what do we do with the first player - freeze him?

Thats halo tho and they didnt build the engine. Its probably easier for valve since they spent 5 years on the game. Will they make the characters respawn like they did with svencoop? I dont know why people are starting to make mods for just co-op on hl2. If i was them i would wait till the final word or not if there will be a built in co-op mode in hl2.

I wonder if the high-poly player models will be for MP or not. They might lag the game somewhat. Also, the size of the maps could also be smaller due to this as well.

All speculation though since that is what it was like in HL1.

Originally posted by Argyll
I wonder if the high-poly player models will be for MP or not. They might lag the game somewhat. Also, the size of the maps could also be smaller due to this as well.

All speculation though since that is what it was like in HL1.

Yea the hl engine is nearly 5 years old tho.

I'm hoping for ground breaking netcode, allowing for low lag 64player matches.

Im hoping for a halflife one browser for internet games, And the same kick ass netcode or better.

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
Im hoping for a halflife one browser for internet games, And the same kick ass netcode or better.

Its going to be like steam i think.

Looking forward to trying the manipulator out on opposing players myself... or just flinging dead bodies at them... or lifting anvils marked 200Tonnes above players and dropping it on them[1]. The vehicles would be fun too: chasing and running people down with the buggies/tanks/whatever.

[1] Evidence of a youth mispent watching too many cartoons.

Someone told me the Gravity Gun(s?) would not be in the final game?

Anyone heard anything about that?

In any case I definatly doubt it would be in Multiplayer, if it was, I don't know how they would manage it to be able to pick up living players - it would be mayhem and far too chaotic.

That won't work on me, Snark. I'll be carrying an umrellia.

I hope the gravity gun makes it to the game. it would be fun and a multiplayer (mod) with only that gun available would be fun.
Just imagine how cool it would be runnung around while radiators, drawers etc. fly around...

Gravity guns will be in the game. If it didnt then it wouldnt be shown on the E3 videos. The gravity gun is called The Manipulator. Its in Planet halflifes weapons list for hl2 as well.

Originally posted by Dave
Someone told me the Gravity Gun(s?) would not be in the final game?

Anyone heard anything about that?

In any case I definatly doubt it would be in Multiplayer, if it was, I don't know how they would manage it to be able to pick up living players - it would be mayhem and far too chaotic.

lol why wouldnt the Manipulator be in the final game? The whole frickin engine is based on that u can do cool stuff with that weapon..:) im 99,9% sure it iwll be in the final version!

the movies were the final game pretty much..there not going to take out a weapon that they based almost the entire set of e3 on.

STEAM will be the next gamespy

Yea there probably basically almost done with the game part. Whats left is probably coding and stuff.

Even if they were to remove the manipulator for balancing reasons they’ll probably leave all the code in place so you can cheat it in.

I'm 99.9% sure that it isnt going to get removed. They been basically only using it during the e3 demos and this is a new high tech engine. This aint the old half-life engine thats 4 1/2 years old.

The manipulator is the coolest weapon I've ever seen. I doubt they'll remove it.

I doubt that they will remove anything they put into the game that we saw in the current videos. There done with all that stuff already. They been working on it for 4 1/2 years, why decide to remove that gun now?

*EDIT:* Also if the gun was going to be removed then they wouldnt make the objects come off the walls so you can toss it at monsters and/or soldiers.

Just saw a post on the Shack about HL2 MP. Some guy wrote Gabe asking about how objects will work without bogging down net traffic. Gabe says that you can set which physics objects are totally client side (like soda cans) and which the server worries about (like large boxes and matresses).

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=7547848

Ok time to email him again and ask him will it be deathmatch/co-op or team.

I dont think they will tell you that: it's probably best not to pester them with all sorts of questions that they wont be answer. They only answered this guy because it was a tech question relevant to someone planning a mod.

Originally posted by Apos
I dont think they will tell you that: it's probably best not to pester them with all sorts of questions that they wont be answer. They only answered this guy because it was a tech question relevant to someone planning a mod.

I know i was basically joking.

Back