Half-Life 2 Recommending an Episode

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a good episode relative to Half-Life 1 , The name came in my mind was :

Half-Life 2 : Return to Black Mesa

Which takes place in the remaining parts of the Black mesa facility (I know that the black mesa was entirely destroyed by Mark IV Thermonuclear Device but they can retcon this to for example that the facility was not entirely destroyed and some parts are remaining including sector C & F) and some parts of Xen !

Just think for a few minutes...

There is no Vortigaunt , but head-crabs , alien grunts , hound-eyes , etc can be seen...

Not a bad thinking , right ?

I hope that was a good recommend for the dear valve if they are not working on an incoming HL3 !!

Which takes place in the remaining parts of the Black mesa facility (I know that the black mesa was entirely destroyed by Mark IV Thermonuclear Device but they can retcon this to for example that the facility was not entirely destroyed and some parts are remaining including sector C & F) and some parts of Xen !
Why bother? Why not do something original? Imagine if Half-Life 2 had released and it took place entirely in Black Mesa again - people would have been pretty pissed off at how repetitive it was.

I'm thinking about a good episode relative to Half-Life 1 , The name came in my mind was :

Half-Life 2 : Return to Black Mesa

Just think for a few minutes...

There is no Vortigaunt , but head-crabs , alien grunts , hound-eyes , etc can be seen...

Not a bad thinking , right ?

I hope that was a good recommend for the dear valve if they are not working on an incoming HL3 !!

Sounds really repetitive. If Black Mesa is just a crater with Sector F and C left, what would be the point of even travelling to such a place with no usefulness left. Unless you're a scavenger, but the Combine have probably turned any area near it to a City.

Imagine if Half-Life 2 had released and it took place entirely in Black Mesa again - people would have been pretty pissed off at how repetitive it was.

Now when hl2 & its episodes had no black mesa a return to black mesa can return those good memories from the old HL1...

If Black Mesa is just a crater with Sector F and C left, what would be the point of even travelling to such a place with no usefulness left. Unless you're a scavenger, but the Combine have probably turned any area near it to a City.

I didn't say just Sector C & F , it was just an example...
What is the problem with a combine city near the remainings of black mesa facility ?

to be honest I always thought about how Valve could make some fan-service moments in Half-Life 3 like in two other games I don't want to name because of spoilers, but a whole game in Black Mesa? nah. Definitly not after playing "Black Mesa", that was your revisit.

SPOILER ALERT:
Metal Gear Solid 4
Bioshock Infinite

kinda like the "half life 2: return to ravenholm".

you're going back to a place that serves no usefulness for you unless you wanna comit suicide or something.

Please argue how it's not.
really? Didn't expect that from YOU. I mean I don't disagree with you, but do you really want to start a discussion about THAT old topic? Or am I stupid and didn't get the joke/sarcasm.

really? Didn't expect that from YOU. I mean I don't disagree with you, but do you really want to start a discussion about THAT old topic? Or am I stupid and didn't get the joke/sarcasm.
How come we can't have a discussion about which is the better game, and why?

How come we can't have a discussion about which is the better game, and why?
because I saw that discussion like a million times and the arguments are always the same and its pointless. Both are great, why does it matter which is better? I thought this discussion is really old by now.
And if you do discuss, at the end you will just agree to disagree.

Please argue how it's not.
If I wanted to do that I would have instead of just giving you a quizzical look :p it's been discussed to death already and comes down to a difference of opinion anyway. I think probably the original Half-Life had greater impact on the FPS and gaming industries as a whole (story based cinematic narrative, scripted sequences, transition from Doom/Quake style maze like levels with generic enemies and tasks to story-driven linear narrative with emphasis on immersion, blah blah blah yadda yadda) than HL2 did.

I do think HL2 is a more perfect and overall "better" game, but in the context of its time was not quite as relatively important - HL1 introduced a paradigm shift that reverberated far beyond the shooter genre, HL2 took that to perfection and set an example that has yet to be surpassed by anything else. HL established this new level of game design in FPS and HL2 perfected it. I don't think HL2 could have existed at the time it did if HL1 had not.

I could easily argue either side of this discussion so I'm not terribly interested in doing so because I don't really think either perspective is wrong. For me it mostly boils down to the fact that I have an extreme nostalgic emotional attachment to HL1 that is slightly greater than that of HL2 and that tips the otherwise quite balanced scales in HL1's favor.

I also think that HL1 is generally underappreciated by modern gaming culture (mostly because it's too old and gaming culture is dominated by kids who were too young to play it 18 years ago) whereas just about everyone acknowledges how transcendentally awesome HL2 is, so I try to shift some of that appreciation back to HL1 which absolutely deserves it.

If I wanted to do that I would have instead of just giving you a quizzical look :p it's been discussed to death already and comes down to a difference of opinion anyway. I think probably the original Half-Life had greater impact on the FPS and gaming industries as a whole (story based cinematic narrative, scripted sequences, transition from Doom/Quake style maze like levels with generic enemies and tasks to story-driven linear narrative with emphasis on immersion, blah blah blah yadda yadda) than HL2 did.

I do think HL2 is a more perfect and overall "better" game, but in the context of its time was not quite as relatively important - HL1 introduced a paradigm shift that reverberated far beyond the shooter genre, HL2 took that to perfection and set an example that has yet to be surpassed by anything else. HL established this new level of game design in FPS and HL2 perfected it. I don't think HL2 could have existed at the time it did if HL1 had not.

I could easily argue either side of this discussion so I'm not terribly interested in doing so because I don't really think either perspective is wrong. For me it mostly boils down to the fact that I have an extreme nostalgic emotional attachment to HL1 that is slightly greater than that of HL2 and that tips the otherwise quite balanced scales in HL1's favor.

I also think that HL1 is generally underappreciated by modern gaming culture (mostly because it's too old and gaming culture is dominated by kids who were too young to play it 18 years ago) whereas just about everyone acknowledges how transcendentally awesome HL2 is, so I try to shift some of that appreciation back to HL1 which absolutely deserves it.
Let's be clear and honest here - a game being "better" than another doesn't mean you have to enjoy it more. I enjoyed Portal 2 on my first playthrough more than I enjoyed Half-Life 2 on my first playthrough, but Half-Life 2 is definitely the better and more complete of the two games.

kinda like the "half life 2: return to ravenholm".

you're going back to a place that serves no usefulness for you unless you wanna comit suicide or something.

for the Ravenholm even i belive it is just giving some excitation to player...

for Black Mesa is something like that ! but visiting those old places for limiting a mess...

Guys we are just Discussing...

We are not gonna make it happen...

So please don't try to say go to hell or oh , look ! a kid came here !! :| :cautious:

This is just an idea...

Last edited:
I agree that Ravenholm has no use at all , but it's fun to fight with endless zombies & headcrabs in a city !
And this time you will be able to visit the whole city...

Returning to black mesa has no use at all , but it's fun to fight with the old enemies using your new weapons...
And this time you can have a better visit on the old facility...

Right ?

Back