Half-Life 2 still set for 2004 release

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There have been a lot of rumours and assumptions produced at other sites (or should we say tabloids?) about Half-Life 2 being delayed until 2005. This isn’t the case at all; people are simply getting confused by a hypothetical comment from Gabe Newell.

The comment was a reply to a question about Valve’s reasons for the delay back in September 2003. It’s purely hypothetical and there’s no reason to think Valve will be delaying the game until 2005 or putting $20 million more into it.

The game will be released this year so sit back, relax and keep checking Halflife2.net for real information about Half-Life 2. There isn’t long to wait now.

This is Gabe Newell’s quote from an interview with Polygon magazine:

"We've already spent millions into this project, and we're willing to spend as much as we need to make this the best first person experience ever. If that means delaying the game to 2005, we'll do it without any hesitation. If it means sinking another $20 million into the project, we can do it. Rest assured, if we delay the game, it'll be only to blow your socks off even more when it finally releases."

Yeah, nice for clearing this up

I still remember Douge telling they try to release the game in the summer 2004. :)

They are probably keeping an eye on Id Software right now to avoid a badly timed release, and Id are likely doing the same thing.

Also, as Valve have allied themselves with ATI already, they are most likely timing/optimizing for ATI's next generation of GPUs.

hmmm i read somewere that in 3 months ATI were going to be launching some sort of catalyst drivers that all the other companies would want to copy.? and it was very big news.. Apparentley..

Sorry off topic but just thought i would mention that.

What do valve and Gabe have to say to the people who upgraded their computers in time for the "omfg it's definitely coming out september 2003 y0!!11¬" release date..

Smittins said:
What do valve and Gabe have to say to the people who upgraded their computers in time for the "omfg it's definitely coming out september 2003 y0!!11¬" release date..

Probably: "Well, that was kind of a dumb thing for you people to do, now..."

Yeah, no-one forced you to do it.

Munro said:
There have been a lot of rumours and assumptions produced at other sites (or should we say tabloids?) about Half-Life 2 being delayed until 2005

The game will be released this year so sit back, relax and keep checking Halflife2.net for real information about Half-Life 2. There isn’t long to wait now.

While the statement was obviously hypothetical and many sites seem to have misinterpreted the whole thing, it's almost equally misleading to be confirming a rock solid 2004 release. There's no reason to think HL 2 is delayed but by the same token a 2004 release isn't guaranteed by any means.

This is especially true in the light of the vague "Summer 2004" estimate - not to mention Gabe has just made clear that Valve is quite willing to delay the game again if needed.

Hey, I don't really care when it comes out, just as long as I can afford it and that my PC can run it. Yeah, I'm lying. I want it now god damn it!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Bond said:
While the statement was obviously hypothetical and many sites seem to have misinterpreted the whole thing, it's almost equally misleading to be confirming a rock solid 2004 release. There's no reason to think HL 2 is delayed but by the same token a 2004 release isn't guaranteed by any means.

This is especially true in the light of the vague "Summer 2004" estimate - not to mention Gabe has just made clear that Valve is quite willing to delay the game again if needed.

Gabe said a few days ago that it's definately coming out this year...

wow. im amaze to hear that they allready used millions of bucks to the project HL2..

here

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1298&page=31&pp=15

hi gabe....havent emailed you in AAAAAGES, not that you'll remember me BUUUUT anyway....just thought i'd ask, am i going to be seeing half life 2 this year in 2004?

cheers

simon

Gabe: Yep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 7:10 AM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: RE: ONE QUESTION OF CHAOS!!!! please read

cheers for responding to my last e-mail...i should've elloborated a little...by seeing i meant will i see a release of the game in 2004?

cheers again

simon

Gabe: Yes.

IMO valve seems to have a date and they just aren't telling us. For the past few months they have had a very scheduled agenda for hl2 events. They seem to want to do the gdc to teach xsi and then get hype up with e3 so they can release the game this summer. They've known what they are going to release to us for quite some time now. But u may not agree. Thats just my opinion.

Thanks tork. Though I don't see how that effects what I said.

Gabe just said Valve would delay HL 2 "without any hesitation" if it came to that. I don't see how "yes" suddenly clears everything up. It simply means they are currently targeting a 2004 release - which I've never argued with. I'm just questioning why this post is reconfirming a sure 2004 release in the light of the interview - particularly when it's making a point about other sites posting tabloid-like articles.

its kinda funny to call the other sites tabloids, then make the opposite assumption from the same vague quote. Hopefully they will make a CLEAR statement clearing this up, but they never cleared up the january release, or the april release rumors that were going around. but that comment says to me, as long as there is another game out there that will be considered better then hl2, it will be delayed forever. no telling what will pop out between now and its release, farcry got a good kick in their nads tho it seems

little offtopic but:

seems a little weird that valve would optimize the new cards, seeing as they'll just give more fps, the 9600+ works with all gfx (supposedly) so it would prob just be fps gain, i dont think that the card is gonna sell too fast, seeing as how it would require case, mobo, power upgrades and just the cards cost, prob only hardcore gamers or devs, just my opinon :)

polyguns said:
its kinda funny to call the other sites tabloids, then make the opposite assumption from the same vague quote
It isn't an assumption, it's reading the quote with rationale. Valve saying that If they felt the game wasn't good enough they would push it back is not the same as Valve saying the game wasn't good enough and they had pushed it back.

Varsity said:
It isn't an assumption, it's reading the quote with rationale. Valve saying that If they felt the game wasn't good enough they would push it back is not the same as Valve saying the game wasn't good enough and they had pushed it back.

No one here is saying that Gabe meant HL 2 is delayed. Hypothetical situations are just that. But saying that HL 2 will come out this year is just as much of an assumption as thinking it's delayed. I understand that munro wants to allay people's fears but saying it's a sure thing just isn't supported by what we've seen (from what Gabe's said and what's happened with delays so far).

An assumption can't be based on fact, and it is a fact that Valve say they are heading for a 2004 release even if they don't make it.

Millions? It better save human lives, or something. End world hunger... Yeah. If there's anything Valve can do, is delay... So screw 'sitting tight,' my butt's already numb. :)

Dr. Shim said:
Millions? It better save human lives, or something. End world hunger... Yeah. If there's anything Valve can do, is delay... So screw 'sitting tight,' my butt's already numb. :)

errr...millions is a fraction of a fraction of what the army spends every year....

Six Three said:
errr...millions is a fraction of a fraction of what the army spends every year....

I knew it. They're designing weapon, to kill us all.

Dr. Shim said:
he was lying, they only have spent 10$.... :sleep:

yep, the only thing that bothers me is the original delay, was just a hypothetical statement too....

at least thats what we all assumed. (as we are doing here) since it seems logical that it wouldnt be delayed long... and given that we told that the game was done in September...

anywhoo regardless, E3 is almost upon us... damn even IM getting hyped again. Im just hoping they arent setting us up for another let-down.

"...at other sites (or should we say tabloids?)..."
lol...looks like a war is starting between the hl2 site *sigh*

I've just spent the last hour explaining to Shacknews and Bluesnews basically that, "as halflife2.net pointed out, this quote is an old one made as a reference to the delay in September 2003 and interpreting it as confirmation of a delay until 2005 is ridiculous. They have finally both appeared to ammend their news to clarify that it's an old quote and thus has no value with regard the status of the game today.

Sheesh! :)

New ATI Graphics card release on May 4th X800 Pro

E3 is the following week I would bet good money we will see HL2 running on x800 pro graphics cards.

That same wee the x800 XT will be released.

I would love to see both the benchmark and the SDK released at E3 and the game scheduled to release in June it may make sense as after the delay Vavle may owe ATI something a solid release date and a new voucher would be an interesting valve concession.

Vincent said:
Hey, I don't really care when it comes out, just as long as I can afford it and that my PC can run it. Yeah, I'm lying. I want it now god damn it!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol :))

you say it, man! ;)

i just read it on voodoo and got little shock. but now, things cleared up for me.. pweeel..

from now on, i love the word "hypotetical".

"The comment was a reply to a question about Valve’s reasons for the delay back in September 2003. It’s purely hypothetical and there’s no reason to think Valve will be delaying the game until 2005 or putting $20 million more into it."

I was a reply to a question about valve's reasons for the delay back in september 2003, so relax people.

just a thought, but I know I'm kinda losing interest in hl2. If its delayed too long the expectation will be much greater, and the number of interested persons declines. More likely would be that they push it out the door even if not finished. Believe me, I'm not saying that I don't think its finished, but I just have a hard time believing any kind of date given by Valve. I think I'll just wait until I see it on the shelf. They could get hacked again, and delay it even further.

That's logical, but look at CZ. There was still plenty of interest in that from the target audience (CS players).

Xenome said:
I was a reply to a question about valve's reasons for the delay back in september 2003, so relax people.

What got me all wired up, was the fact that Newell mentioned both the words delay, and 2005 in the same sentence. And as you know, when it comes to release dates, they're probably the most unrealiable source out there.

Fine... They only gave 1 (one; uno) release date, and missed it...

I still curled up and cried in bed that night.

AND IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT I'M NOW AN ALCOHOLIC!!!

polyguns said:
its kinda funny to call the other sites tabloids, then make the opposite assumption from the same vague quote.
One quote says "It will be out in 2004" and the other says "If it sucks, we will not hesistate to postpone it to 2005". That is not "the same vague quote".

Back