Half-Life 2 theft named "Biggest News" of 2003.

synth

Reaction score
Half-Life 2 theft named "Biggest News" of 2003 by GameSpot

Gamespot's "Best and Worst of 2003" includes the category of "Biggest News", where Half-Life 2's code theft was the winner.
The now-infamous leak has become the game world's equivalent of the 1978 Lufthansa Heist (the biggest robbery of all time). The story became world news, receiving mention on the national networks, BBC, NPR, and even China's Xinhua news service. More importantly, the theft frayed the nerves of an already paranoid industry. Whispers of conspiracy flooded forums.
Find the rest of the article here.

I looked at this topic and I saw, Half-Life 2 thief named... And i was all, "Yay!"

ray_MAN said:
I looked at this topic and I saw, Half-Life 2 thief named... And i was all, "Yay!"

Does anyone know for sure if they ever caught the punk who hacked them??

Don't think so. If they did you would see it all over the place.

ray_MAN said:
heh, I thought the same thing. Damn you synth for inadvertantly confusing us! :E

Wow, i thought the same thing too! meh...

Half Life 2's delay also got "most disappointing delay"

On the Most Disappointing Delay page, has anyone watched that movie on the right side? I've seen all of the Bink videos but I don't recognize that front picture of Gordon with a machine gun and two scientists running next to him. Unfortunately the machine I'm on can't watch the video so could someone else tell me what that is from?

Anable said:
On the Most Disappointing Delay page, has anyone watched that movie on the right side? I've seen all of the Bink videos but I don't recognize that front picture of Gordon with a machine gun and two scientists running next to him. Unfortunately the machine I'm on can't watch the video so could someone else tell me what that is from?

That "preview" picture is actually a released screenshot. So not part of any video we've seen. Rather interesting is the actual video. A video interview with Gabe, talking about the game, development funding, and (don't get your panties in a knot just yet) a holiday 2003 release. I guess the footage is quite old. I'm trying to get the streaming file onto my hard-drive right now, but it's not easy. In case anyone wonders, what I'm talking about is at http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/bestof2003/day3_8.html click the "see it in action" picture!!

Edit: paste this url into your windows media player 9 (file->open url...->paste->click ok), you'll see a few commercials and then the interview begins

http://www.gamespot.com/live/stream_asx.html?speed=100&path=hl2_401devint2.asx

Oh, thanks roach. And here I was thinking that there was footage I hadn't seen before.

Well, have you seen the interview? I hadn't, and it was quite a good watch. There isn't any new in-game footage though. But if you haven't seen it, I urge you to look at it, it's quite interesting.Gabe mentions that instead of buying Ferraris with the money they got from HL, they used it to fund HL2 development. Now I might be wrong, but isn't the big guy driving a hot sports-car himself?

"and makes off with computer code potentially worth hundreds of millions of dollars."

Bwhahah. Yeah, right.

Spiffae said:
Half Life 2's delay also got "most disappointing delay"

Yup and i think it should be also in "the most expected delay" if there is one :(

Ro@ch, you're a star. I missed this one because I went to Uni, I think. Is it from the ATI Alcatraz thingy?

mayb it worked out ok for valve ... I guess the game was nowhere near completion by the time it got hacked .. we should leave it in the past and move on .. and also demand the release of HL2 within the next 3 days or I will blow up the earth with my doomsdaydevice .. mwuhahahahhahaa

I don't think the game was that far from being finished, the reason it's taking so long now is that because some little hacker who wanted to play HL2 managed to steal the network and security coding so they had to rewrite the whole thing... which is difficult and tedious.

Back