Half-life2 for MAC or Linux???

zxxgp

Reaction score
Will there be a version of Half-Life2 for the MAC or for Linux?

crabcakes66 said:
There is already a linux version I believe.

there will and wont by any linux version of halflife2
since hl2 is built on d3d there is no way to port it to linux.
same with mac os

but u can run it in windows emulators.

jacen said:
there will and wont by any linux version of halflife2
since hl2 is built on d3d there is no way to port it to linux.
same with mac os

but u can run it in windows emulators.
Well OS X and Linux have the same core so i guess that would make sense.
d3d is directX right?

You can get Half-Life 2 working in Linux using emulation software, but I'm not sure how it looks or performs.

That said, Valve is a Microsoft-centric company and does not entertain notions like "cross-platform support". Pity. For a company that prides itself on pushing boundries, they're passing up a major opportunity here.

Mountain Man said:
You can get Half-Life 2 working in Linux using emulation software, but I'm not sure how it looks or performs.

That said, Valve is a Microsoft-centric company and does not entertain notions like "cross-platform support". Pity. For a company that prides itself on pushing boundries, they're passing up a major opportunity here.
I use wine for windows emulation in Linux. I don't have wineX so i can't run games. (wineX has a emulation thing for directX)
And yeah I think it could have been better if they had used the OSX engine (quarts) or X11. But if they used anything other then d3d then they would not get the preformance they wanted out of the win version. open GL might not have been a bad choice ether.

coding/testing/bugfixing an additional opengl renderer wouldnt really raise the sales of hl2 in an ammount so that it would legitimate the effort.

and keep in mind that steam is also windows only .. they had to port this aswell.
if u want crossplatform : d3 does perform way better on linux then on windows. im not sure if farcry has been ported allready, but they at least have an opengl renderer (little buggy and dont support hdri, but its there)

If anyone does have a good solution to run HL2 under linux, please let me know :D

About Valve being a mircosoft-centric company, there were lots of linux versions, client and server sided for HL, meaning of Valve didn't make em, it can't be impossible to create by other HL(2) users...

there were lots of linux versions, client and server sided for HL, meaning of Valve didn't make em, it can't be impossible to create by other HL(2) users...

I think you confuse CS servers with the actual game, as far as I know there has never been a port of HL1 or CS (the actual game) to Linux.

There is no money to make in this, they would have to spend a LOT of time on porting it and the market is just 1-5% of computer users (and of those how many would buy it ?).

Sir_Shunt said:
If anyone does have a good solution to run HL2 under linux, please let me know :D
I do. You can use WineX. The only thing is you have to pay for it. Wine X is designed to run win games. I don't know about having to run steam at HL2 at the same time. I have never tried to emulate 2 things at once.

Let me ask this question.
Will it bring Valve a lot of money to compensate for the port? No
Will it be done? Probably not.
Sorry : /

CookieCuttah said:
Let me ask this question.
Will it bring Valve a lot of money to compensate for the port? No
Will it be done? Probably not.
Sorry : /
will the d3 linux port bring id alot of money? no
was it only little work? no
was it done? yes

see ... entertaining ppl isnt about doing things only if u get money .. maybe you understand that someday

How about using you. I was talking about the Mac port ((Since I honestly have little idea of how Linux works and how many people use it.)) And unfortunatly it seems that everything good doesn't get ported and average things do.

zxxgp said:
they made a Linux version of doom3???
sure
it was released 4-5 weeks ago
they are currently making the expansion pack and porting d3 to mac. mac will be out early next year
CookieCuttah said:
How about using you. I was talking about the Mac port ((Since I honestly have little idea of how Linux works and how many people use it.)) And unfortunatly it seems that everything good doesn't get ported and average things do.
every single blizzard and id game was ported over to mac
so
starcraft/diablo/diablo2/warcraftIII/quake1-3/doom3
not to mention the older games.
u consider these games "average"?

Personally the only games i liked from all the ones you mentioned was diablo and quake 1..Everything else was indeed average.((Starcraft did not cut it for me for some reason))

zxxgp said:
they made a Linux version of doom3???
Yep. And Epic even made a Linux version of Unreal Tournament 2004 (props to Epic for including the Linux version in the retail box!). Of the big three FPS developers, Valve is the only one ignoring its Linux fans.

Mountain Man said:
Yep. And Epic even made a Linux version of Unreal Tournament 2004 (props to Epic for including the Linux version in the retail box!). Of the big three FPS developers, Valve is the only one ignoring its Linux fans.
I know there is a Linux version of UT2004. They even made a 64bit Linux UT 2004 for the people with an AMD64. I thik it would have said on the box if there was a Linux version.

jacen said:
will the d3 linux port bring id alot of money? no
was it only little work? no
was it done? yes

see ... entertaining ppl isnt about doing things only if u get money .. maybe you understand that someday
id putting out a Linux port is about money though. You can't just get the game for free. You still have to own a retail copy of Doom3 to be able to install it in Linux. They just provide the Linux install script for free. So in order to sell more copies (in other words, bring id more money) of the game to those gamers in the Linux community, they put out the installer.

why not just save yourself the bother and just use windows (A)

Because Linux is much more stable, less buggy and uses your computer more efficently. ((Atleast that's what i have been told)) So basicly all your game will run with a boost in performance ((If they are supported))

Problem is that DOOM 3 is OpenGL which Linux supports so its easy to migrate. HL2 isn't.

CookieCuttah said:
Because Linux is much more stable, less buggy and uses your computer more efficently. ((Atleast that's what i have been told)) So basicly all your game will run with a boost in performance ((If they are supported))
you have been told correct. I am a big Linux fan. I have about 8 versions of it. My comp runes Linux and win. I use Linux for all my work and windows for games.

Not sure about Linux or MacOS, but I DO know that it works succesfully in Windows XP x64. I have it running on my machine with the beta of x64, and it works better than under regular Windows XP pro! Hopefully someone can get an emulator that workes well enough to play HL2 for you guys.

MajorPayne said:
Not sure about Linux or MacOS, but I DO know that it works succesfully in Windows XP x64. I have it running on my machine with the beta of x64, and it works better than under regular Windows XP pro! Hopefully someone can get an emulator that workes well enough to play HL2 for you guys.
Well my mobo dose not like Linux so my games will be in win even if i get an emulator. is HL2 64-bit (like far cry)?????

Back