Halp

k3ithrm

Reaction score
I need to convince my grandparents that it's safe to buy games off steam, and that there isn't "crooked" people working from the inside trying to steal their moneys ;)

Bust some figures on their senile asses. Steam sells over 3.4 billion games every year. It's as much of a legitimate business as... Anything legitimate.

Unfortunately, there's no way to ever convince someone that hasn't tried something that it's "safe" to do anything. For all we know, Valve might be behind some evil masterplan to conquer and dominate Earth, leading us to conquest over other, smaller alien races. For all we know, Valve themselves might be the aliens, sent to infiltrate our society, steal our monies and ruin our gaming lives. For all we know, Valve might be laundering money, selling drugs or selling sex slaves. For all we know, Valve could be building a giant laser to destroy the sun. Hell, Valve could be a cult!

There really is no way to convince them either way except for the fact that potentially thousands of people could have purchased from Valve over Steam, but as they never release any actual figured, it would be hard to persuade them anything using hard statistics.

All I can suggest is that they just try it out. I can provide a testament to the fact that Valve have never stolen my money. Steam is a very quick, efficient and easy service to use. I would recommend setting up a PayPal account (if they trust that) to use with Steam.

I think your grandparents believe that the internet is just a hive of villainy and scum where people use their anonymity to pry money off other people illegally. But in reality, with a bit of caution (perhaps less than they seem to have), you'd have no more risk purchasing over the internet than you would going into a shop to buy something. Most of the security you believe you have when you walk into a real shop is from the familiar. The fact that you've been into that specific shop or chain before, so you can trust it. But you wouldn't have that many reservations going into a shop you'd never seen before, particularly if you see people coming out. So what would the difference be with Steam?

and there are >15 million steam accounts and no one has been scammed yet.

Ah, thanks for the help guys
maybe they'll realize that steam and all valve employees aren't out to get us

Back