Helplife2.net - College decisions

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I got accepted into several schools for transfer, among them being University of Los Angeles and University of Berkeley.

I am aiming for a East Asian Language major along with Business major.

Which school would be better suited?

I have heard that UCLA is preferable for arts, languages and such.

Congrats, both excellent schools! I think you'd be fine either way. I don't know about those particular programs at those schools, but in general -- if they're fairly evenly matched academically, choose the place that will be least miserable ;). The best is probably to visit the campuses to decide. I suppose you can compare rankings on US News. Also, you should be able to check out course catalogs on the school websites. The diversity of courses available in each department could indicate how big the department is. And since you are transferring, I suppose you might already be able to determine whether their courses sound like topics you want to take.

Also, if you have any current advisors/professors in your departments of interest who are willing to be a 10-minute mentor, they should be able to give more specific advice on which school is better.

Though I could attempt to call student advisers of respective schools, I do not think they allow sessions over the phone. I suppose I will try to find other places to ask as well.

Ah, I meant asking a professor at the school you're currently at. Typically, if you're a reasonably good student, profs are willing to give somewhat-objective advice to get you to the best place. If you had anyone write you a recommendation letter, that could be a good person to ask.

UCLA and UCB does not accept recommendations.

Otherwise, I can try asking my old school's adviser, but given my past experience with them, I doubt their ability to give me to actually advise anyone in anything.

I'd go to Berkely, but that's just cause i've always wanted to get into that school.

EDIT: I'd also much rather live in NorCal than SoCal...

Whats wrong with socal lol
Whereabouts do you live? Perhaps go to the further one to get out of your comfort zone. But from what I've seen from my visits to the bay area, you might have more fun there.

I live in socal and quite content with the area
Well there could be far more important bases to make this decision on, but if all else was equal I'd go to school further away just to get an entirely new experience. The downside is the cost of living is higher up there. I'd lived in OC my whole life and getting up north was a great way to break me out of the shell my parents had inadvertently raised me in (I went to San Luis Obispo).

What does one do with an "East Asian Language" major?

The two primary fields I am looking towards is international business relations and translation/negotiation internationally for government.

Asia (china, india etc) are pretty big players, and will only grow in the future, so I think it's a wise decision :)

As long as it's something you enjoy doing, that's the most important thing.

Back