• 2006 Mini Cooper

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • 2006 Toyota Yaris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2006 Fiat Grande Punto

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
56k warning...

Dude it's 2010. Those are tiny pictures anyways.

Yeah I think we as an Internet can finally stop saying that.

From your current list, the A3. Stay away from anything Volkswagen, Suzuki or Mini or you're likely to be bringing it back to the shop quite often. Per Pitz's suggestion, the Mazda 2 looks like be a winner in the subcompact class. My suggestion is a Mazda 3 if you're short on cash and want to buy something used. One of the most fun rides you'll have without breaking the bank.

If it was going to be a Mazda, it would be the Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Damn it! Talk about throwing a spanner in the works at the last moment.

The Mazda 3 seems to be a good choice for those of us that want to stand out from the trend. Theyre not all that popular in the UK (which I like), especially compared to the Focus, its cheaper to insure, is the same price as the Focus (2nd hand of course), I think it looks better, its in the same class...

*tips toward the Mazda 3 away from the Focus again*

Will have to read some reviews. Edmunds is an awesome site. Shame its US versions of the cars but its close enough.

compared to the Focus, its cheaper to insure, is the same price as the Focus (2nd hand of course), I think it looks better, its in the same class...

...is more or less the same car, as Ford and Mazda share chassis and engines...

Looking at the specs, the Mazda has better mpg, better speed and better acceleration. Its a bit cheaper to buy too.

Hmm, I think it may be the new choice. Either way, a test drive of both is in order. Driven the focus before though, will definitely have to try the Mazda 3. Maybe theres one at the Mazda dealer in town near where I live. Theres an estate on the outskirts devoted to official car dealerships, so one is bound to have one I can test drive. Would suck to take a 2 hour trip to test drive a car for sale then not like it when theres one just 15 minutes away I could test first.

If the Mini Copper is an S model, then I vote for the cooper. Otherwise the Audi A3.

...is more or less the same car, as Ford and Mazda share chassis and engines...

It's true. Unless you are getting the newer models, after the stock sells from Ford. The Focus looks so bland, also.....the Mazda 3 looks pretty damn good.

akira, you aren't on the vortex are you?

Yup, under the name TetsuoShima and lolaccountislocked2 (for work...TetsuoShima doesn't work at work for some reason lol). I'm always on The Car Lounge, but occasionally pop in the other forums.

hell yea golf gls.

It's certainly the largest car forum I know about, but none of my car friends are on it...and I think it's because I keep calling it vwvortex. So i've started to call it 'the car lounge' because they really should be on there.

hell yea golf gls.

It's certainly the largest car forum I know about, but none of my car friends are on it...and I think it's because I keep calling it vwvortex. So i've started to call it 'the car lounge' because they really should be on there.

Yea it's been around since 1999 I think. Car Lounge is hilarious, never a dull moment there:LOL:

So Ive decided to go for the Mazda 3.

Contrary to the poll I know, but the Focus and the Mazda 3 werent on my radar before I posted the poll. And I dont want to start a new thread.

Theres 2 for sale at a dealer 15 mins from my house. A good £2k more than private sales but haggling is relatively easy these days, its a nice convenience. If they refuse to budge Ill say its their loss and drive to Swansea and get one.

But anyway, Im stuck on the colour of the damn thing.

YES Im using stock images as theres no other way to do it!

Dark Grey / Grey:

nc55dhl_i01.jpg

Icy Blue Metallic (easiest one to get as no haggling will be involved):

JM1BK32F871713125-a.jpg

Silver (Zzzzz):

1999479_1.jpeg

Yes theres the sedan/coupe versions of the cars in those pics, Im getting the hatchback version. Not an old man yet.

The Icy Blue Metallic is the easiest choice. I wont have to haggle for it at a dealers, its less than my maximum amount Im willing to pay, it just means driving up just past Manchester to get it (a good 5 hour drive). Thats two trips; one to test it, then go back again to pick it up if I buy it.

(I know I mentioned Swansea which is about 2 hours away, but thats trade and its over my maximum price so haggling will be involved).

Guess 10 hours on the road is a small price to pay. About £150 in petrol to be exact..ish.

BUT, is the Icy Blue Metallic too..I dunno..does it scream 'girls car' or 'old man' or both and I should just steer clear of it?

I drove out of state to get my car and saved about 40%. The owner had left the country and his father just wanted to be rid of it.

Well after haggling I figure I COULD get it for 5k if I stand my ground.

But if I drove for about 200 miles I could get it for 500 less or so. I guess I would be mad to not go private and just spend half a day or so driving back and forth each time. ***k it, if it saves atleast £500, whats 10 hours or so of my life. An excuse to get out and blast some music really loud. Road trip much?

What colour I chose determines how far I need to travel anyway.

Major money can be saved by buying from a person rather than a used car dealership, but I'm sure this isn't news to you by now.

Just be aware that a dirty car can hide flaws.

Ask for the service records, if they don't have them, you can try to get a reduced price. Listen for ticking noises - like when you turn the wheel sharply and accelerate in a parking lot for example - things like this you can try to get a further reduced price. If it's a manual, make sure it shifts and goes into reverse perfectly.

I doubt you will have problems like this being such a new car, however. Just saying.

Childish moment; my dad will be coming with as, well, Im not driving that long in my current car. It will either fall apart or drink petrol like water and will cost me twice as much, so I need a lift, as they refuse to let me drive their pride and joy merc. Train would be more expensive than paying him for fuel.

Conveniently, he knows cars. Built his own MG from scratch, so short of hiring someone, he's my best choice to find anything that could be wrong.

Plus Im likely to forget some things to check for (gasket head etc).

To be honest, if they fail to present the MOT history etc, I'll walk away to the next car on the list. People without valid reasons annoy me, as well as just make me think 'What are you really hiding?'

Head gasket isn't a big deal, if it's been serviced before, I mean, not if it's actually bad.

Yeah, but if there's anything wrong with the car at all, they often won't point it out (some people will try to hide it), so you really need to check the details.

Well, on the list of cars I have narrowed down, regardless of distance, theyre pretty much all under or around the 40k-mile mark. And considering they're 2005 and 2006 cars, 40k isnt alot when you look at general statistics.

Average miles per year is about 12k in the UK, and having only 1 owner helps too. General wear and tear should be a minimum at that mileage, inside and out, provided there are no prangs on record.

Disappointed you aren't going for the Audi :(

Mazda 3 is a bit chavvy looking for my taste.

Back