Here is my thoughts about it.

Great Grizzly

Reaction score
Here is my thoughts about everything. (Spoilers, Duh.)

Black mesa and Aperture science where both competing orginizations. They both were working on teleportation.

Aperture managed to make local teleportation a possibility.

Black Mesa was able to transverse demensions and worlds.

In Half LIfe 2, the combine where seeking to find a way of local teleportation, and humans just figured out a way to "cheat" the local teleportation requirement by going to xen, then coming back at a new place. And the events in HL2 showed that the teleportation process was costly and sometimes prone to failure.

However, the long forgotten research facility APerture science made it possible long ago, and in an attempt to one up black mesa, attempted to teleport a cargo ship, which also served as an auxilary test facility, from one point to another. This didnt go very well, and the ship, its payload (a copy of the Apertures pet project AI nicknamed GLaDOS, the portal making equipment) and all its scientist never made it to the intended destination. It was presumed lost forever and the experiment a total failure.

Later on however, the ship was discovered at an unknown location in the arctic. Now humans, and combine alike, are actively seeking out the ship and its payload.

The mysterious GMan also plays a part in this hunt. The people he works under also has a keen interest in this technology, and wants him to get it for them. He was interested in black mesa because of the progress made towards teleportation, he wanted a reliable form of teleportation (maybe for the people he was working for at the time) and thought blackmesa had potential. He was unaware the a rival orginization had made local teleportation a possibility. In pushing to speed up the process, he mistakenly caused the resonence cascade. (He pushed for the powerful sample to be used, regardless of safety.)

From then on, he was active in helping the defeat of the combine. However, the new alien guests that arrived on earth during the flood of a Alien Empire taking advantage of the event, are actively fighting him. He is now out of complete control of the subdimension that he hails from, sharing it with the likes of the vortigaunts. It is then that he hears about Aperture, and knew that that was what he was looking for.

My theory about his godlike ability: He was a scientist that is stuck in a subdimension, and he needs out. He has met with many visitors of this demension and one of them cuts a deal with him: You do what we tell you to do, and we will help you get out of your ageless state. They give him a device, in the form of a briefcase (to allow him to blend in as a normal human) that gives him the limited ability to effect things in other dimensions. On doing what he was supposed to, the people he deals with basically says "hahaha sucker" and takes away his only means of effecting anything outside his dimension. Now he is trying to cut a deal with anyone to have them help him out of his predicament. Now that rememnents of aperture science laboratory have been discovered, he will try to coax any human he can to get them to get it for him, hoping that oneboard that ship is his means of escape forever rotting in his timeless dimension.

The uncovering of GMan will be the finale of the Half LIfe saga.

I noticed that Barney wasnt anywhere in the latest episode, so that means that he is in the arctic, trying to get to the cargo ship.

Disagree compeltely. I'll explain why later, can't be assed, just woke up :p

Most of it is good. But once you get to the Gman part, you start to mess up. The uncovering of the Gman will not be at the end of ep3. Not at all.

well actually he did say the half life saga, not the ep 3 only, i would agree that the last half life (5 or 6 :p) will really reveal gman :D

So the accident at Black Mesa wasn't the intention of the G-man?

In my opinion the G-man caused the Black Mesa incident to ensure that the Vortigaunst (who also had teleportation technology) would join with humanity; before that Nilihanth had to be killed; which could only be done by a civilization wich had the 'slingshot teleportation'. After that, Nilihanth is death and the (freed) Vortigaunts have joined with the weakened humans.

Through the Portal Storms the Combine came to earth, later attracted by the teleportation technology of humans and vortigaunts. (This makes the destruction of Black Mesa logical, no 'material' technology evidence for the Combine).

So the accident at Black Mesa wasn't the intention of the G-man?

No, it was his intention - that conversation with the scientist in HL1, the giving of the crystal, that the military were on alert before the incident (see the Op4 manuel), etc. Clearly he was inteding for bad shit to happen.

In my opinion the G-man caused the Black Mesa incident to ensure that the Vortigaunst (who also had teleportation technology)

Teleportation technology? We haven't seen the vorts use their own tech, ever. They seem quite primitive technologically actually.

would join with humanity; before that Nilihanth had to be killed; which could only be done by a civilization wich had the 'slingshot teleportation'. After that, Nilihanth is death and the (freed) Vortigaunts have joined with the weakened humans.

I always got the feeling the vorts joined after the 7 hour war?

Through the Portal Storms the Combine came to earth, later attracted by the teleportation technology of humans and vortigaunts. (This makes the destruction of Black Mesa logical, no 'material' technology evidence for the Combine).

Yep.

However, the long forgotten research facility APerture science made it possible long ago, and in an attempt to one up black mesa, attempted to teleport a cargo ship, which also served as an auxilary test facility, from one point to another. This didnt go very well, and the ship, its payload (a copy of the Apertures pet project AI nicknamed GLaDOS, the portal making equipment) and all its scientist never made it to the intended destination. It was presumed lost forever and the experiment a total failure.

This seems pretty much on target. Since Aperture were experimenting with portals, it wouldn't surprise me if the ship had dissapered because of portals.

The mysterious GMan also plays a part in this hunt. The people he works under also has a keen interest in this technology, and wants him to get it for them.

Since the GMan hasn't made mention of his employers since HL1, I get the feeling he is either no longer working for them or he made them up to convince gordon to help him.

He was interested in black mesa because of the progress made towards teleportation, he wanted a reliable form of teleportation (maybe for the people he was working for at the time) and thought blackmesa had potential. He was unaware the a rival orginization had made local teleportation a possibility. In pushing to speed up the process, he mistakenly caused the resonence cascade.

I'm pretty sure he deliberatly caused the RC. His convo with that scientist, him giving the crystal, the fact that the military all were prepared for a BM mission before the event acutally happened all imply that he was planning it.

From then on, he was active in helping the defeat of the combine. However, the new alien guests that arrived on earth during the flood of a Alien Empire taking advantage of the event, are actively fighting him. He is now out of complete control of the subdimension that he hails from, sharing it with the likes of the vortigaunts. It is then that he hears about Aperture, and knew that that was what he was looking for.

Firstly, all the talk about contracts at the end of HL2 strongly implies that Gordon is a sort of mercenary. Secondly, the vorts don't share his dimension. They came from another universe to Xen, in order to flee from the Combine. They ended up here after the RC.

My theory about his godlike ability: He was a scientist that is stuck in a subdimension, and he needs out.

The episode one website describes him as an "interdimensional bureacrat" and the HL2 guide implies he isn't human, so I doubt he's a mere human scientist.

He has met with many visitors of this demension and one of them cuts a deal with him: You do what we tell you to do, and we will help you get out of your ageless state. They give him a device, in the form of a briefcase (to allow him to blend in as a normal human) that gives him the limited ability to effect things in other dimensions. On doing what he was supposed to, the people he deals with basically says "hahaha sucker" and takes away his only means of effecting anything outside his dimension. Now he is trying to cut a deal with anyone to have them help him out of his predicament. Now that rememnents of aperture science laboratory have been discovered, he will try to coax any human he can to get them to get it for him, hoping that oneboard that ship is his means of escape forever rotting in his timeless dimension.

See my above answer.

The uncovering of GMan will be the finale of the Half LIfe saga.

Most likely.

I noticed that Barney wasnt anywhere in the latest episode, so that means that he is in the arctic, trying to get to the cargo ship.

I strongly doubt that. He has been fighting for a week in a street war, he is proboaly taking a break. Besides, it doesn't really make much sense - no-one except Gordon and Alyx had seen that transmission, so I doubt he would go to the artic.

@ Atomic_Piggy: well, the Vortigaunts are using some kind of teleportation but the Combine can't (except for Citadels transportation). I don't know if the Vortigaunst can teleport everywhere (they seem to do it however) but is sounds logical to me that the Combine will take everything that has some usefull technoloy for them.

No, it was his intention - that conversation with the scientist in HL1, the giving of the crystal, that the military were on alert before the incident (see the Op4 manuel), etc. Clearly he was inteding for bad shit to happen.
Sorry but those crudely done expansion packs shouldnt be considered part of the storyline, because valve did not make them.

Teleportation technology? We haven't seen the vorts use their own tech, ever. They seem quite primitive technologically actually.
What?

I always got the feeling the vorts joined after the 7 hour war?
The vorts where enslaved, and Gordon freed them when he killed the Nihilanth.

Since the GMan hasn't made mention of his employers since HL1, I get the feeling he is either no longer working for them or he made them up to convince gordon to help him.
Every time you have a face to face talk with the Gman, he mentions something about his superiours, or that he is under control from someone else.

If I was the Gman and I had the ability to bend time and space, why would I be working for anyone? Unless of course, those people I am working for can help me in some way. Thats where I was thinking of the "he is stuck in some interdemensional hell and will do anything to get out" theory.

I'm pretty sure he deliberatly caused the RC. His convo with that scientist, him giving the crystal, the fact that the military all were prepared for a BM mission before the event acutally happened all imply that he was planning it.
If he purposely caused the RC, then why does he help you defeat the combine? The only other way that it would work is if the combine where the first ones to contract him out and then he was bought up by another group of people, those who hate the combine empire. However, that second scenario is not as concrete because what I said above: Why would he take orders from anyone with the kind of power he wields?

Firstly, all the talk about contracts at the end of HL2 strongly implies that Gordon is a sort of mercenary. Secondly, the vorts don't share his dimension. They came from another universe to Xen, in order to flee from the Combine. They ended up here after the RC.
IF the vorts dont share his dimension, then how did they keep him away in episode 1, or pluck you out of the stasis which he put you in? Or why does he have to wait untill the vorts are distracted before contacting you in episode 2?

The episode one website describes him as an "interdimensional bureacrat" and the HL2 guide implies he isn't human, so I doubt he's a mere human scientist.
Hmm, I am going to have to look that up. Also if by "guide" you mean like the Prima strategy guide, then that shouldnt be used as proof because it was not made by valve. Their writings are speculation.

I strongly doubt that. He has been fighting for a week in a street war, he is proboaly taking a break. Besides, it doesn't really make much sense - no-one except Gordon and Alyx had seen that transmission, so I doubt he would go to the artic.
Then why is mossman there? Valve has a good reason for his disapearance. Him lounging in some mansion somewhere doesnt really scream good story telling. He was mostly likely sent to the arctic to assist mossman after helping in the evacuation of the city.

Most of it is good. But once you get to the Gman part, you start to mess up. The uncovering of the Gman will not be at the end of ep3. Not at all.
I said the end of the HL saga, not episode 3.

IF the vorts dont share his dimension, then how did they keep him away in episode 1, or pluck you out of the stasis which he put you in? Or why does he have to wait untill the vorts are distracted before contacting you in episode 2?

I have a theory. I know people have mentioned it before,but give it a chance. The G-man could actually be working for the vortigaunts. Perhaps the G-man struck some sort of deal with the vorts...They would do something for him if he freed them from Nihilianth. So,Gman causes RC,Gordon kills Nihilianth...Vorts free!

In HL2 the vorts join forces with the humans to take down the Combine,the ones who forced them out of their universe in the first place. Since the gman is now working underneath them,he is inadverdently forced into helping you take down the combine. In the beggining of EP 1,he tries to put you back into stasis,hoping that the vorts wont notice,and by then he'll be gone,along with you. But of course the vorts come in at the exact same time,and take you away. The vorts have some sort of power over the gman,whatever favor they did for him,so clearly he couldn't take you away infront of them,or they'd close their end of the deal.

Also,in Episode 2,the same thing applys. He can't talk to you in private until the vorts are distracted. The things he tells you,and the things he tells Alyx are clearly part of his plan,and his plan only,so the vorts can't know.

I am in no way saying that my theory is definitely correct,but it's a possibility. So don't get too worked up.

Back