HL2 problem with toshiba laptops...help needed please...

H

hanza1111

Hey guys, after playing Hl2 fully through (on its release) on a crappy 750duron and nvidia9550 gfx, I can't get it to run properly on newer laptops, namely the 2 Toshiba ones I have tried it on...

Here is the problem:

Installation is fine and game loads up good and runs fine until it comes to an AUTOSAVE point and automatically loads the next part of the level.
Here is where the problem occurs...Once the next part loads, it goes back to the game and freezes, and straight after quits out of the game. (see attached file(s) for what winxp says afterwards; see link here instead:
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/351066/?s= )
I can go back into the game and load from that autosave and continue playing, only for it to quit out again at the next autosave and after it loads the next part. This is not how to play a game! :sniper:
I tried, and the game continues running after I use a "quick save".

I have no idea what causes this crash of HL2! I have tried it on 2 toshiba laptops and I get the same problem. Surely this can't just be a toshiba (bug)?!...
Latest laptop I tried it on M110-J00d (centrino duo); core duo 1.7/512/intel GMA950128 shared Gfx running XP Home w/ SP2.
Older laptop I tried it on was a M60 centrino; pentium M 1.7/512/GMA older shared intel gfx running xp home.

I don't think this is a Gfx problem, The intel gma950 may be pretty crap but the game runs fine between auto saves and this is the latest intel mobile gfx chip anyway. I didn't get a laptop and expect to play hardout newer games but I would at least like to play my HL2 and CS(S). Saying that I just checked the driver for gfx and it is from Mar 06.

So, has anyone else got/had this problem? What do you guys think is the cause and any solutions?...
COuld it be a XP home or HL2 bug that is causing this?
Or it really because the gfx is out of date...

cheers for any suggestions!

Back