HL2 Source Engine

Iced_Eagle

Tank
Reaction score
Half-Life 2 uses the Source engine, developed by Valve Software. The engine's minimal requirements are a 700Mhz processor, 128 mb ram and a DirectX6.0 compatible video card. Of course on such a machine, don't expect to see reflective water, bump-mapped textures and dynamic shadows. The game runs with 70 fps with maximum details turned on with a machine such as this: 1700Mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, GeForce4ti4000.

The quality of rendered images in Half-Life 2 is awesome. As for me it is even better then in Doom 3. Here is a short list of engine features:

- Dynamic shadows (and lightning). No comments - promises to be like in Doom 3.

- Powerful particle system. Allows creatoin of different effects - from sparks, to dust particles in rays of sun light.

- Powerful physics engine (based on code, licensed from Havok). All objects in game are interactive - i.e. you can take a barrel and throw it into a shelf with tools and objects that will fall like in real life, making different sounds depending on size (and material) of each object.

- Real time reflective water. No comments, just look at these screenshots:

- Bump-mapped materials. Used for decals from guns, clothes\skin of NPC (it makes them look like real people, especially eyes).- ability to create indoor, outdoor and urbanized levels

- Powerful materials system. Remember those moments in Half-Life where you couldn't destroy glass with rockets or wooden doors with grenades? This won't happen in Half-Life 2, because all materials act as they would in real life. If you shoot a wooden door, you can be sure it will open :)

It is good to hear that for real maniacs, it will be possible to cut monsters into pieces and look what is inside them, so basically you can cut a monster's skin and look at his... erm... organs.

Also I want to say some more on characters. As you may have heard, NPC's have muscles! We will be able to see leg muscles when the character runs, jaw muscles when they talk. But the most interesting is that the face is made of little pieces (which resemble muscles I think) to make characters express their emotions as real people do. To do that, Valve hired a doctor who did research on people mimics. But that is not all! Eyes of characters in Half-Life 2 are like you haven't seen in any game - they can be wet, you can see reflections of light sources in them. Also, the characters will be able to move their eyeballs to search for something. For example a cup on the table or person in the room.

And the last thing - information for modders. For creating levels, the Source Engine uses the Valve Hammer Editor, which will ship with the game (along with SDK). Good news is that Valve is going to release the SDK before Half-Life 2 comes out. It will probably be equipted with some kind of test applicaiton, that will allow testing of compiled maps.

Article by Vyacheslav 'Hoaxer' Djura. Special thanks to Ian 'Half-Life_Maniac' Oakley.
omg you can see the insides of monstere... omg that is sweet. OMG I KEEP READING STUFF ON THE SITE AND ITS AMAZING... ok another thing here
Weapons in Half-Life 2 will be different from those in HL1 - there will be real-life weapon, then experimental and alien weapons. A new feature to game play is that a weapon can be too heavy or too hot, it can be filthy or scratched. Valve told that we will be able to clean our weapon and it will be similar to opening locks in Thief 3. Another great additiona to game play is that we'll be able to pick up different objects and use them. For example we can take some ventilation grating and use it as shield.
omg cleaning weapons?????? sweet... omg this game will rule all.
The behavior of the NPC's depends on the environment. For example, in prison soldiers will use supporting tactic, while in the battle with aliens on streets, they will use another.
Multiple tactic routines??? this AI is gonna definetely raise the standards 10 fold :D ooo thats right you guys want a link to this goodness dont ya :D Half-Life 2 Source I found parts of this in the engine and game areas... very interesting read!!!

btw. I know ive posted this alot in some other HL2 forums but im just getting the word out :cheers:

cleaning weapons?????? wtf, is this shit true??

LOL!, this shit was posted on the planethalflife forums, the day it was announced, there was a huge argument and it turned out it was just a fake yup your right, it is a bunch of bull

IMO, when I first started reading this ages ago I thought it was really cool, but its a long story how it became a fake

So im just supposerd to ignore it then huh?

:bounce:

Originally posted by skogum!
So im just supposerd to ignore it then huh?

:bounce:
...yes :nobounce:
...Damn! They have to figure out a smiley for no bounce...All these bouncy smiles are pissing me off now...(yes, just ignore my rambling. It gets worse as the night progresses.)

-Vert

Originally posted by Vertigo
...yes :nobounce:
...Damn! They have to figure out a smiley for no bounce...All these bouncy smiles are pissing me off now...(yes, just ignore my rambling. It gets worse as the night progresses.)

-Vert
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Many spelling mistakes as well. I didn't know about it being posted at PHL, but the spelling alone and amateurish writing spoke the truth.

some stuff in that post are true.. like the face is made up out of pieces (muscles) and the particle system etc etc.

I agree with you there, but cleaning weapons!!? HAHAHAHA

Originally posted by Iced_Eagle
The game runs with 70 fps with maximum details turned on with a machine such as this: 1700Mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, GeForce4ti4000.

Oh man, I wish that would be true. Iv'e gone paraniod thinking I MUST upgrade my 2000+, 512 pc2100, and Radeon 8500 128mb. Whew:x.

Well did anyone say you didnt have to upgrade? Well did they? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

bombadil.jpg

Only joking, 'medium' should be fine for your pc

I'm a dirty bastard thanks to Murray_H's siglink.

btw i think it should be manditory that the engine should be called Sauce not source

Lol, "Sauce"!=)

Did you say that on purpose, damn funny anyway :afro:

Methinks the sauce engine is a better name!!! :cool:

Back