HOA requires pet DNA to catch owners who dont pick up after their dogs

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Plagued with pets that do business in all the wrong places, dog owners in the Village of Abacoa, a condominium association of 458 units, must pay a $200 fee starting Aug. 1. The money will pay DNA Pet World Registry to take the dog's genetic fingerprint and keep the information on file.

Doggie droppings found in condo common areas will be collected and mailed in a plastic tube to the Knoxville, Tenn.-based company. If the poop matches the pooch, the owners can be fined up to $1,000. If they don't pay, a lien can be placed on their home, said Susan Nellen, property manager for Versa Property Management, which manages the condo near Roger Dean Stadium.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/dna-samples-will-determine-if-jupiter-residents-arent-1568967.html

wow that just insane. what the hell is it with HOA in the US? are they the norm because besides condos they're rare in canada

Nothing really wrong or outrageous with that. There's sets of rules you have to abide by if you want to live in those kinds of places. Which is why most sane people wouldn't live in a condo complex to begin with. :)

HOAs do exist all over the US but they aren't generally very active. In my experience they are only active in nice apartment/condo communities and in really upscale suburban areas where the community has a pool and clubhouse and all that. Even those are usually not a big deal. They just get their panties in a twist if you do something weird like put a 24 foot dildo in your front yard or have piles of trash everywhere. This is certainly still insane by American HOA standards.

My neighborhood has a HOA but it doesn't do much of anything besides occasionally have potluck dinners and sending out flyers every so often saying to report suspicious activity (people who might be looking for houses to break into etc).

People's dog poop is SERIOUS BUSINESS for a lot of people though. It's considered super impolite to let your dog poop in someone's yard while you're taking it for a walk if you don't bring along a baggie and pooper scooper to clean up after it with. I remember my mother being angry at someone back when I was a kid because their dog would always stop and poop in our yard every goddamn day and they never bothered to do anything about it (and this was back when I was outside like 4 hours a day on average and my parents still spent a lot of energy on yardwork and things like that). Many neighborhoods have little plastic trash bag dispensers and trash cans attached to them so that people can clean up after their pets.

Feces identification is a booming business.

Hah. Anyways, there isn't a HOA in any place I've lived, so I've never had to deal with them. They're probably mostly for those condo things, and for terrible gated communities where you need to have the same color mailbox as everyone else.

Ennui said:
besides occasionally have potluck dinners and sending out flyers every so often saying to report suspicious activity

you know who else had potluck dinners and asked people to rat out their neighbours?

hitler-going-mental-in-speech.jpg

anyways I bet there'll be a spike in incidents of rovering bands of criminals dognapping dog poo to be used in DNA labradories

They're probably mostly for those condo things, and for terrible gated communities where you need to have the same color mailbox as everyone else.

Every time I see that sort of american community depicted in a movie it makes me want to puke.

A few years back, my mom got pissed off about this lady who would leave her dog's poo on our yard. I think eventually my mom resorted to glaring out the window at her.

As far as I know my parent's neighborhood doesn't have a HOA. One of the stupidest rules I've heard of is the one where you can't hang laundry out to dry in your yard. Ridiculous.

One of the stupidest rules I've heard of is the one where you can't hang laundry out to dry in your yard. Ridiculous.

I think the most ridiculous HOA rule (at least where I have lived) is the one where you cannot have solar panels / wind turbines on your property. That's definitely advancing society HOA...

God I miss Scrubs so much. Watching that video is depressingly funny.

I think the most ridiculous HOA rule (at least where I have lived) is the one where you cannot have solar panels / wind turbines on your property. That's definitely advancing society HOA...

I can understand not wanting wind turbines in a residential area, they makes heaps of noise and don't produce much power due to shitty windflow in built up areas.

Yeah he jelly :V

TrollfaceHD.png

Being in a rich neighborhood with HoA is actually p. awesome. Being rich in the USA in generally pretty awesome. You get to live like a dictator. Nobody does rich like America! (honestly). Probably because we hold no ethical boundaries on people with money. They can afford better lawyers, limiting the amount of law they must uphold, they have the least taxes and we have a party that literally caters to making the rich richer, and schooling/health care cost money - so you get the most premium-world class healthcare as a rich person.

All that being said - yeah, HoA in nice neighborhoods is the epitome of how spoiled our upper middle / high class is. Also, the story conveyed in the OP is fairly enigmatic due to costs, and also a bit stupid and isolated case. HoA's are largely p. kickass.

jealous much?

So I take it you like small communities, where everyone knows everyone, and where you either conform or be considered an outcast?
Well then, good for you.

you watch too many movies.

edit: I live in suburbia and other than my direct neighbors I don't know anyone.

Back