How do I make Steam convert my games again?

D

DeathClaw

Well, I first had only one install for Steam 1.0. Upon installing, I was asked which Half-Life mods I wished to convert and copy to Steam and if I wanted to delete the old files from the original Half-Life directory (which I said yes to).

I thought this was a mistake, so after completing the setup and updates for Steam, I decided to delete Steam along with Half-Life and all its mods to start all over again (only through add/remove program in the control panel).

I then re-installed Half-Life and all my mods. By this time, I had another installer for Steam 1.0 from Halflife2.net, and I decided to use that one. I noticed this time, though, that it did NOT ask me if I wanted to convert my Half-Life mods. All it did was go through two Steam updates and ask me to log on.

Now, when I go to my games list, it says I have no games. So, my question is: how can I make it ask me to convert my Half-Life games to Steam again?

I did the same thing. I used the leaked install first time. Got rid of it just in case. Started with a clean slate in everything and used one of the 'official' installers. And it didn't ask me to convert anything. :\

My Steam is now
"Converting Opposing Force files into steam cache..." for about 15 Minutes.
But...i have no Opposing Force installed....

bug ??

I am in a similar situation. But mine is all working apart form the fact that pressing "games" will instantly hang steam and i am forced to ctrlaltdel. So very annoying.

There are probably some temp files left from the last convert stopping the convertion.

Grrrr, installed it and created a new account. I told it to convert my current setup, it did but stalled when coming to counter-strike, which I didn't even have installed. I killed it and restarted, but then it didn't let me convert half-life anymore, just went straight to steam. I though a reinstall would fix it, but no. Log-in using existing account doesn't let you convert, that only happens when creating new accounts. WTF Valve? You expecting me to dl 400mb on a 64k connection just to play half-life online when I've got my cd lying right here??

Same problem here :(
Steam converted my HL files for about 3,5 hours, and then it crashed! :flame:

same here :( I really need to convert again !

Hmm. When Steam says "convert" does it just mean transferring the mod files from your original Half-Life directory to Steam? Or is it doing something special?

And Wizzcat, I guess you are right about Steam only converting for new accounts ... Is there a way to destroy your account and make a new one?

Originally posted by DeathClaw
Hmm. When Steam says "convert" does it just mean transferring the mod files from your original Half-Life directory to Steam? Or is it doing something special?

Something special.

Originally posted by DeathClaw
And Wizzcat, I guess you are right about Steam only converting for new accounts ... Is there a way to destroy your account and make a new one?

In steam options (forget where) logoff, then restart steam and make a new account. Don't know how to delete an old one though...

Back