Irreversible

S

Spartan

Okay, seriously: what is it with these shock movies that aim to take movie violence into new heights and thus earning the praise of critics everywhere? The masterpiece I'm referring to is Irreversible. It's a jolly tale of a woman who is assraped and some guy whose face gets smashed twenty times with a fire extinguisher. That's all I know, because that's all the reviewers talk about. So I guess that's the plot.

From IMDB's trivia page:
The first 30 minutes of the film has a background noise with a frequency of 28Hz (low frequency, almost inaudible), similar to the noise produced by an earthquake. In humans, it causes nausea, sickness and vertigo. It was the main cause of people walking out of the theaters during the first part of the film in places like Cannes and San Sebastian. In fact, it was added with the purpose of getting this reaction.

Newsweek stated that this was the most walked out of movie of the year.

So the director actually wanted people to walk out instead of seeing his movie? What dazzling intelligence! Pure genius! Only a completely ****ing deranged idiot could come up with an idea like that. And they say that it's those jerks in Hollywood like Michael Bay who make bad movies.

The rape scene was shot a number of times and the only constraint on the actors, apart from the beginning and end, was that it didn't run over twenty minutes.

I hear it actually ran for ten minutes. Ten minutes of anal rape! Boy, if that doesn't qualify the movie as thought provoking and artistic, I just don't know what does.

Most critics praise the film as artistic, thought provoking and so on. Well shit, if you've got assraping and heads being smashed, you just can't go wrong, can you? What's worse: torture, rape and violence go on, on and on in third world countries (or as close as Europe), sometimes systematically, but no one gives a **** about it. But make a movie about a westerner getting raped and suddenly it's an oh-so important issue.

eh, i ended up watching the rape scene to see what people were talking about, seemed unnecessary, long and pointless, but maybe not watching the rest of the movie ruins it, altogether not very shocking, perhaps i'm a little too desensitized

Meh, after seeing "Baise Moi" and "Ken Park" I'm done with these "shock" movies. They all suck!

Back