is my video card ok?

synth

Reaction score
i just got a computer, and everything works great, enough speed, etc. but my video card is "Intel Extreme Graphics (Integrated)"
*gasp*

and the worst part is, i'm stuck without an AGP slot so i can't get a good card. my question is... will this run HL2, and what is a good PCI card i could get instead?

That card won't run most Unreal Warefare engine games... at least America's Army.

You can get decent PCI cards...not great, but they might have to do with your crap mobo. :)

Whats the rest of the spec? If it has integrated intel graphics and no AGP then it should be without a doubt its its to slow for HL2 so a new card wont help, although you said it was fast?!. I bought a computer like 4-5 years ago, and that was a 700Mhz with 4xAGP and a 32mb Geforce DDR. That is like on the edge of HL2 minimum (doubt you want to go lower, it would be like playing Quake again).

Alright, i found some info (and it is good news :afro:)
Your on-board video card is heavy enouph to run HL2, with it's 64 MB DDR and directX 7&8 support it should run fine.

Some more info about your card:
  • Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics
  • 4X AGP, 64MB DDR
  • 2D/3D graphics

Originally posted by Lauwie
Alright, i found some info (and it is good news :afro:)
Your on-board video card is heavy enouph to run HL2, with it's 64 MB DDR and directX 7&8 support it should run fine.

Some more info about your card:
  • Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics
  • 4X AGP, 64MB DDR
  • 2D/3D graphics
The integrated chip runs with 4xAGP but there is no AGP port on the motherboard?

I used to be in the same position as you, and I got a GF4 MX420 PCI 64megger and it was crap. 120 bucks worth too. I'd go for an ATI PCI card, however being without an AGP definately sucks. I think theres an FX 5200 PCI card out there as well. Read up on some reviews and see what you want.

Originally posted by dawdler
The integrated chip runs with 4xAGP but there is no AGP port on the motherboard?
i checked, and there is no AGP slot. I don't know about the integrated... o_O

Originally posted by dawdler
Whats the rest of the spec? If it has integrated intel graphics and no AGP then it should be without a doubt its its to slow for HL2 so a new card wont help, although you said it was fast?!.
It's not "old"... i just bought it cheap. 2.3gHz celeron, 512MB DDR RAM.

i've been looking at the recent GeForce FX's and those seem to be my best hope for better graphics. I haven't seen any recent ATI cards (late 8000-9000 series) that are PCI.

Only problem is, would a PCI FX really help? An AGP FX hardly helps over the cheapest G4 in speed, what's the speed of your integrated chip? It would be rather pointless to buy if its just a little better...

Back