Is there anything for a person like me to be excited about Valve wise?

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
Not interested in:

SteamOS
Steam Box(es)
VR
MOBAs/E-Sports
Valve Controller (lol)

I am interested in:
New IPs that aren't E-Sport games
Half-Life IP
Modability (new version of hammer?)

Can anyone help me dissect this news for the cool parts?

A new IP or new monolithic game is all I'm really interested, too.

Ultimately we know absolutely dick about their future video game dev plans.

But I think that's because this Steam Universe stuff is going to be the foundation for the next-generation of Valve, just like how Steam itself was the foundation of 2004+/Source/Half-Life 2 generation Valve, so they need to get this stuff out first.

Look to the GDC sessions and the Dota 2 engine upgrade. I'm guessing we'll get some of the best information we've had in awhile.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, -smash-, I'll have to checkout the Dota 2 upgrade stuff, guess it's not all self-contained stuff and must speak toward the greater vision they have on their future tech. I am interested in new engine technologies just not pertaining to super competitive gaming and VR.

Yeah it seems like we can forget about anything HL related for the time being.

There's still Chet Faliszek's talk at at EGX Rezzed in which he will show "Secret Content" should also bring something more on the hardware details.

Directly from website:
Friday 13th March
1pm: Chet Faliszek - Valve
This session's content is a closely guarded secret! Look out for more information coming soon.

Valve is a huge corporation, not some visionary indigo society blessed by jesus, lol. They don't give a flying **** about new IP or a new groundbraking tech, they're just watching where the market is going and keep following it, making quick money on emerging tech.

2002: DirectX 9 hits the world. CPUs are powerful enough to support 3D physics. Fine, here is HL2 leveraging these techs, prepare your money, kids.
2010s: f2p, mobas are taking over the world. Fine, here is Dota 2, f2p, see your wallets there, kids.
2014 - 2015: VR craze, democratization of the living room gaming. Fine, here is our new FPS, making the most out of these trends.

They don't give a flying **** about new IP or a new groundbraking tech

I hate when people assume that Valve is no longer a game developer anymore. It's based off nothing. And of course they care about 'groundbraking tech', why would they make a new engine? Why pay attention to rubikon? They're a multimedia company. They make hardware and software (games and applications).
For you to think Valve only wants to make money and will do thing to make money and not things for the sake of making a great game, then that means you don't know Valve at all. They please the fans and that's how they get money. They focus on giving PC gamers amazing gaming experiences and giving them a great service (Steam.) If making hats in TF2 makes them money, then that's fine. But they still care about making games and moving games forward.

And of course they care about 'groundbraking tech', why would they make a new engine?
Well, to remain competitive obviously. To address new hardware architectures, art pipelines, etc. Deferred rendering and PBR for example require a great deal of code refactoring. When these things keep adding up, at some point it becomes more feasible to rewrite engine from scratch than to keep maintaining the old one.
For you to think Valve only wants to make money and will do thing to make money and not things for the sake of making a great game, then that means you don't know Valve at all. They please the fans and that's how they get money. They focus on giving PC gamers amazing gaming experiences and giving them a great service (Steam.)
That's all marketing and PR talk to be honest. And Gabe is the biggest PR slyboots you can probably imagine. As a corporation they're dedicating resources to the most profitable things, following something like 80-20 rule, leaving only 1/5 of their resources to R&D on new tech and IPs, while the other 4/5 are occupied by Steam and already established IPs like Dota and TF2. Sure, you can't blame them for optimizing their business to maximize profits, but I wish more people woke up and quit worshiping them.

Well, to remain competitive obviously. To address new hardware architectures, art pipelines, etc. Deferred rendering and PBR for example require a great deal of code refactoring. When these things keep adding up, at some point it becomes more feasible to rewrite engine from scratch than to keep maintaining the old one.

That's all marketing and PR talk to be honest. And Gabe is the biggest PR slyboots you can probably imagine. As a corporation they're dedicating resources to the most profitable things, following something like 80-20 rule, leaving only 1/5 of their resources to R&D on new tech and IPs, while the other 4/5 are occupied by Steam and already established IPs like Dota and TF2. Sure, you can't blame them for optimizing their business to maximize profits, but I wish more people woke up and quit worshiping them.

I have no contest to the fact that Valve is a business and that they're competitive. They want to be the biggest and best developer and software/hardware manufacturer of what they do. And what they do is maintain Steam, make hardware, create games and engines, and maintain existing games.
You can't ignore the fact that Valve can do all of these things WHILE they make quality games.
It's not PR and bullshit; Valve could've released a crappy Half-Life and crappy Half-Life 2, but they didn't. They delayed BOTH of them for an entire year each to make sure they make a great product that, yes, will sale, but will also be worthy of people's time and money. They're an entertaining company, bro. People don't spend their lives to make games and work at Valve to do everything but that.
They're passionate about what they do.

You can't ignore the fact that Valve can do all of these things WHILE they make quality games.
It's not PR and bullshit; Valve could've released a crappy Half-Life and crappy Half-Life 2, but they didn't. They delayed BOTH of them for an entire year each to make sure they make a great product that, yes, will sale, but will also be worthy of people's time and money. They're an entertaining company, bro. People don't spend their lives to make games and work at Valve to do everything but that.
They're passionate about what they do.
I agree they were passionate about games in early 2000s, when they were still relying on games for a living. But then Steam took off, and they simply shifted their focus. Delays and ****ups happen all the time in gamedev, Valve are hardly exceptional in this regard. I'm ok with them being a hardware/software entertainment company, following market trends, doing the most profitable things, but their cult following is kinda long overdue - they do not live up to it anymore.

I don't know much about how the video game industry works, but the truth is evident. Valve is going to do things their own way, and complaining will not change that fact.
Ding ding ding ding! Correct, take this prize Mr.Corgi. *throws imaginary prize dog bone*

Don't worry, they'll get to Half-Life and such eventually, but transitioning into an entirely new way of thinking about things (VR, Source 2, etc) takes a lot of time, and people need to be patient. Just be patient.

I don't know much about how the video game industry works, but the truth is evident. Valve is going to do things their own way, and complaining will not change that fact.

Yes, pretty much. But hey that's their privilege. As you say complaining is useless, they have a business to run and that's all.

However if people don't like how they do things, they can vote with their wallet. Anything else is pointless and a waste of time.

New hammer! New mods and stuff...
Source 2 alpha,give it a spin and you'll see some new things.

I'm a singleplayer gamer, never been massive on co-op (unless it is local) and MOBAs don't have much interest to me..nor does VR.

Still, I hold out hope that Valve will make something which appeals to my interests again.

One word: Lighthouse. Extrapolate that to include the entire Valve VR ecosystem.

Remember how they beat the content distribution game ahead of time with Steam? They're trying to do the same thing with VR hardware except this time Facebook is racing them to it (with JOHN ****ING CARMACK at the helm no less). The best part is that Valve is totally capable of winning.

I just... have no interest in VR. :\ I don't want to strap a giant headset to my face after a long day at work. I just want to sit back and, you know, play games the "normal" way. Maybe by the time it's a small visor like, Geordi La Forge style from Trek, idk

Last edited:
VR + EVE Valkyrie + Joystick for me. Cockpit games are what it'll be best for rather than ones where you have a character running around.

I'd pay a couple hundred to use a VR headset in Elite: Dangerous.

I just... have no interest in VR. :\ I don't want to strap a giant headset to my face after a long day at work. I just want to sit back and, you know, play games the "normal" way. Maybe by the time it's a small visor like, Jordie LaForge style from Trek, idk

I'm not sure if we've seen the Consumer models of the main headsets yet, but HTC teased some photos of an upcoming 'secret' project which appears to have something to do with VR going by what's written on the front.

08Rk8qR.jpg

Personally I suspect it's more of a low-end or AR device, but if the consumer version of the HTV Vive is at least along those lines that's nice and minimalist.

Well, don't you worry! The community have set foot on creating Half-Life 3 themselves, because Valve will never ever realease it, right?

You can support these saviours of the Half-Life franchise right here, or something...

With your generous donation, we may have a chance to see Half-Life again! Because we fans have to do our duty, to advertise Half-Life 3 to it's fullest extend. And if you don't donate, then you will most likely be the official killer of the entire franchise! It's happening, guys, for real.

Wait, the campaign is out due... ? Well shit...

Well, don't you guys give up hope yet, because we still have something great about Half-Life 3! Because our guys at the Cracking the Half-Life Code Studios, have just leaked out a confidential image of Half-Life 3! Beware when opening the spoilers, cause you're eyes are not ready for this!
2c02e5f2-9282-4563-97d1-5d4f03ab0df9-half-life-3-how-valve-can-save-the-ps4-xbox-one-consoles.jpeg

Awsome, right?!?!

Our experts say, that this is the most realistic evidence we have found so far! And to quote our ingenous crackers "People have been dumbasses for not looking hard enough. It was really easy, I just did a quick google search of 'hl3', and I found this! Man, people are just a bunch of moronic blind people! They should be ashamed of distrusting Valve."

Next week, we will be suing Valve for harassment, as they have willfully depressed people for not being direct with their development of Half-Life 3! Wish us luck guys; we intend to create a new Half-Life with the money we earned from the lawsuit, and we will also only hire Gabe Newell Look-a-likes in the process.

for the record, though. I think we just have to wait until something shows up, and then we can start getting excited.

Last edited:
Yeah, not looking like a black plastic brick would be nice.
The Sony version doesn't, but it still is nowhere near as nice as that fake.

You can support these saviours of the Half-Life franchise right here: dicks
Please don't ever share that link around. Whether you were joking or not, those scam artists should be given as little publicity as possible, regardless of the fact it closed months ago. I'm actually annoyed at humanity for the 101 people who tried to give over $1.5k to that ridiculous cause. What a shit show.

Please don't ever share that link around. Whether you were joking or not, those scam artists should be given as little publicity as possible, regardless of the fact it closed months ago. I'm actually annoyed at humanity for the 101 people who tried to give over $1.5k to that ridiculous cause. What a shit show.
I'll apoligise for that, because you're right. These people are looking for attention, and I shouldn't really be giving them any. I have edited out the link, and I'll keep that till mind next time.

Back