Is "We Don't Go The Ravenholm" the Scariest Level?

Survivr

Reaction score
I just bought the Orange Box for the Xbox 360 (Sorry PC Gamers!)
I also LOVE scary games like Dead Space.
I have played the Half-Life 2 Demo through Steam, specifically the first part of We Don't Go To Ravenholm, right up until you finally get to Father Gregori just before you go through the tunnel. I didn't find Ravenholm as scary as people make it out to be, but I've also heard Nova Prospekt is also scary.

Which is scarier, or is there a scarier level in Half-Life 2?

I don't know why you'd ask if you haven't finished it yet, that just gives you unnecessary expectations.
My personal scariest level was Ravenholm. It doesn't give me shivers at all now, but when playing through the game when I was young, I was scared mercilessly.

There are some good Highway Tunnels though. I won't go too deep into that to spoil it.

Ravenholm has a horror game ambience, but everything in the level is too busy screaming GRAVITY GUN EXPLOSION CARNAGE to be unnerving. (the mines are an exception, however.)

Just wait till Nova Prospekt for really good creepy atmosphere.

Fast zombies are scary at first, gets boring fast.

It's not meant to be a horror game, it just has some shock value here and there.

Well it does have that eerie atmosphere, but nova prospect isn't that scary really

Half-Life doesn't go full horror-game again until the third chapter of Episode One. I'd say that's a little more 'horror', since there's no slapstick-trap element in it, and a particularly intense final scene.

Well, it was a little more intense before Valve neutered it about a month after release anyway.

I agree - I think the psychological scariness in Nova Prospekt was the most effective by far. Ravenholm was horror-movie scary for me, but I find that psychological horror sticks with me better.

Half-Life doesn't go full horror-game again until the third chapter of Episode One. I'd say that's a little more 'horror', since there's no slapstick-trap element in it, and a particularly intense final scene.

Well, it was a little more intense before Valve neutered it about a month after release anyway.

How did Valve "neuter" that scene?

I didn't find Nova Prospekt scary or creepy at all. Scariest bit for me so far is in Episode 1 when
The razor train crashes and all the Stalkers are in there.

The reason Nova Prospekt was in some ways more scary than Ravenholm is because it's actually difficult, whereas Ravenholm is pretty damn easy.

Nova Prospekt has an awesome atmosphere, Ravenholm just tries a bit too hard to be scary - its more in your face in many ways, thus reducing the effect of a creepy atmosphere.

I was 13 when I played Ravenholm for the first time (I'm 16 now) and I shit myself throughout the entire level. I'd go really slow and if I turned around and a big zombie was in my face, I'd shit my pants up to my neck. Not anymore, and I miss that :(

Naw, never heard of it. Personally i think "We Don't Go To Ravenholm" is the scariest, and even that's not so bad.

Naw, never heard of it. Personally I think "We Don't Go To Ravenholm" is the scariest, and even that's not so bad.

Fixed... if you are going to correct my spelling, at least attempt to correct it with good grammar.

Kthxbai.

Fixed... If you are going to correct my spelling, at least attempt to correct it with good grammar.

Okay, thank you, good-bye.

Fixed.

You see how this escalates? Don't play this game, it's no fun for anyone.

Ravenholm was, the first few times I played it, the most I've ever panicked in a game. There were a few startling moments, but mostly it was just worrying incessantly and shooting at shadows. And checking behind me at all times.

It's actually spelled "goodbye," but I'll give you the "If."

Tbh I've actually panicked more in Quake 3 and Dead Space than I did in Ravenholm.

Yes it is probably the scariest level. It was for me. I hated dropped down into that pit in the beginning and being surrounded by headcrabs.... ugh

Episode One is scarier.
Undue Alarm and Direct Intervention now and then. Lowlife all the way through.

From HL2, it's Nova Prospekt. You just know something will attack at some point, just not when. Surprisingly, it's still scary on replays.

Ravenhol[d]m was definitely overrated in terms of scare factor. Not to mention the fact that I kept laughing at how they used that stock scream sound effect most famous for being (mis)used in Broken Arrow (and others)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_818rcC0DA

You sudn't come here.

Ravenholm has a horror game ambience, but everything in the level is too busy screaming GRAVITY GUN EXPLOSION CARNAGE to be unnerving. (the mines are an exception, however.)

I don't see at all why they say Nova Prospekt is scary, it's not even the slightest bit scary. Ravenholm and the beginning tunnel in SandTrap actually are scary

Ravenholm for me was creepy, Nova Prospekt was disturbing and chilling, just the idea of those poor citizens that boarded the Nova Prospekt express and arriving here to meet a fate worse than death, mutilation, lobotomy, dehumanization. Ugh.

Back